Contemporary Lovers discussion

Love Letters to the Dead
This topic is about Love Letters to the Dead
May - Love Letters to the Dead > Spoiler discussion for Pages 1 to 81

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay | 68 comments Mod
This is based on the US edition. We are basically splitting the book into almost 4 equal parts. The US edition is 323 pages.

Please ONLY discuss the events happening up to page 81. This is only a spoiler discussion for the first quarter of the book.

message 2: by Violet (new) - added it

Violet (paperworldsandswirlsofink) | 6 comments I'm going to just give my initial reactions to the story and the character. I really love how this is presented, with letters being written out and how it starts as an assignment and also how she's writing to Kurt Cobain, and connects it back to her sister. Judy Garland and Amelia Earhart were two celebrities I learned a lot about as a child, the former because of my love for the Wizard of Oz and the latter because of how incredible her story was. I haven't read The Perks of Being a Wallflower so I can't say anything about comparing the two, but at this point in the story I'm really intrigued to know more.

message 3: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay | 68 comments Mod
I just read up to page 81 and I'm intrigued! I really want to know how May died.. And what this guilt is that Laurel is carrying. Sky sounds interesting, I hope he doesn't turn into a douche. One thing though, I wished the letters were more related to the celebrities.. Sometimes I feel like there's no point in adding dear .... Does anyone feel the same way?

message 4: by Violet (new) - added it

Violet (paperworldsandswirlsofink) | 6 comments I know, Sky's character got my attention right from the start!

Sashana Juhina wrote: "Sometimes I feel like there's no point in adding dear .... Does anyone feel the same way? "

I felt the same way when I was reading. Sometimes I forgot who certain letters were addressed to in the middle of the chapter.

message 6: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay | 68 comments Mod
Sashana wrote: "Juhina wrote: "Sometimes I feel like there's no point in adding dear .... Does anyone feel the same way? "

I felt the same way when I was reading. Sometimes I forgot who certain letters were addre..."

exactly!

message 7: by Violet (new) - added it

Violet (paperworldsandswirlsofink) | 6 comments I think that I sort of liked it because she would talk about why that particular person meant so much to Mae, or give a little of their background info, etc. But I did forget a lot of the times which letter was for who, and then she would mention something like 'and that's why this is for you' and I'd have to go back and check!

Katie I'm nearly finished with this chunk of the book and I'm definitely interested in Sky as well! I really look forward to seeing where everything goes, there are so many characters so far.

Emily Hays (emilyhays) As a the youngest sister of two in my family I really think the author has captured the relationship perfectly. My sister is alive and well (thank goodness!) unlike Laurel, but theres still that aspect of respect and expectation there.
Yes! I agree with everyone on Sky, I really hope he doesn't end up bad news.

message 10: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex I'm reaaally loving the book so far! I'm not that much of a family person so I don't really identify with that part of the story, but I absolutely adore the writing and the characters, it's all very authentic and just YES

message 11: by NoRa (new) - rated it 2 stars

NoRa Reading this book reminds me of The Perks of Being a Wallflower which I didnt like. However, I am so looking forward to Laurel giving some information on how May died. I agree with some you that I do feel the celebrities mentioned were irrelevant add to the fact that I'm not much of a music fan so barely know any of people Laurel writes to.

Katie NoRa wrote: "Reading this book reminds me of The Perks of Being a Wallflower which I didnt like. However, I am so looking forward to Laurel giving some information on how May died. I agree with some you that I ..."

I saw the similarities to Perks of Being a Wallflower too. I wasn't a huge fan of that one, but I really loved Love Letters to the Dead. I hope you feel the same way and like it better :) They're definitely different!

message 13: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay | 68 comments Mod
NoRa wrote: "Reading this book reminds me of The Perks of Being a Wallflower which I didnt like. However, I am so looking forward to Laurel giving some information on how May died. I agree with some you that I ..."

I actually never finished perks of being a wallflower.. It wasn't. Book I enjoyed but I really liked this one! And you're right.. It is very music concentrated in terms of the celebrities she writes the notes to.

Molly (augustwatersismyinfinity) | 5 comments I don't think this is like Perks of being a wallflower, but I can sorta see it a bit. I am not much of a fan of the main character Laurel. I'm basically only going to finish this to find out what happens,because I find some of the characters annoying! (Especially Laurel)

Molly (augustwatersismyinfinity) | 5 comments And at some times I feel as though the writing to dead celebrities is useless.

message 16: by NoRa (new) - rated it 2 stars

NoRa Molly wrote: "I don't think this is like Perks of being a wallflower, but I can sorta see it a bit. I am not much of a fan of the main character Laurel. I'm basically only going to finish this to find out what h..."

I find Laurel annoying too but I keep in mind that she is a teenager and there are teenagers like her in real life. Yes, these weak annoying teens exist in real life. The other characters are ok.

message 17: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex Well I wouldn't exactly call Laurel weak and annoying but okay... I mean, her entire life just fell apart, her sister died and her parents split up and she goes around thinking that it was all her fault, not able to talk about to anyone, maybe we should all keep THAT in mind

message 18: by NoRa (new) - rated it 2 stars

NoRa Alex wrote: "Well I wouldn't exactly call Laurel weak and annoying but okay... I mean, her entire life just fell apart, her sister died and her parents split up and she goes around thinking that it was all her ..."

I forgot about all that, sorry, I guess im not as open minded as i thought i was :P

message 19: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex Jesus, I shouldn't write comments after midnight, I just realised I sound completely bitchy and annoying, apologies for that :D
But yeah, it's something that happens to me a lot as well, when I find a main character totally annoying but I never stop to think why they might be that way...

Anabel (inthebookcorner) (inthebookcorner) | 25 comments Mod
NoRa wrote: "Reading this book reminds me of The Perks of Being a Wallflower which I didnt like. However, I am so looking forward to Laurel giving some information on how May died. I agree with some you that I ..."

I also didn't enjoy The Perks as much as I thought I would, but I'm really enjoying this one!

Anabel (inthebookcorner) (inthebookcorner) | 25 comments Mod
Really enjoying the book so far. Really curious to find out what happened to May. Laurel's character doesn't annoy me, I'm actually really enjoying her voice and the way this is written.
I was also intrigued about Sky's character as soon as he was mentioned,
"I don't know why but in this place full of strangers, it feels good that Sky is breathing the same air as I am. The same air that you did. The same air as May."
Like Juhina said, I also hope he doesn't turn out to be a douche.
And one last thing, Hannah and Natalie...really wondering how that's going to go down!

Brittni (wildflowersandbooks) I am enjoying this book so far. I am interested in what will happen with Sky. I really hope he doesn't hurt Laurel! I also really want to know how May died. I also really want to know what is going to happen between Hannah and Natalie!

Laila (lailaaamhussain) I'm enjoying this book so far. I'm quite intrigued in Sky since he has that mysterious feel to him that makes me want to know more about him. Also I really want want to read more about her moms part in this story since she did sound guilty when she was talking to laurel at the beginning of the book.

Giselle (itsmegiselle) | 32 comments Mod
Got up to page 93!

My first thought about this book? Loving the Dear _______ format. It's a different way of reading a book even though there's a lot of back and forth between the past and present.

I'm liking the girl love between Natalie and Hannah, very different to see and read about. Don't like any of the boys in the book so far, maybe one of them will redeem himself?

I really want to want to know how Laurel is involved in with May's death? Did she betray her sister? Did something happen so badly that she is so guilty even after she's gone? I have theories but all we've gotten are very vague sentences.