Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

General Discussions > What Are Your Reading Rules?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments I found this rather funny article.

http://bookriot.com/2013/05/22/what-y...

The comments are even better.
And as I didn't want to lose it in the Random thread.....I'm starting a new thread.
If nothing else, after we're finished laying down our rules, we can use it to complain about the rules that were broken by friends, library patrons or strangers who messed up the used book you just bought!!

message 2: by Darcy (last edited May 05, 2014 04:03PM) (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 2675 comments My main rule is no defacing whatsoever. No stickers, no back breaking, no page folding/dog-earing, no writing or highlighting. Make a copy if you want to doodle in my book. Always use a bookmarker - I better not catch my book left open on the arm of a chair or the edge of a table.

Stop reading at the end of a chapter, or chapter break. If really desperate, then a page where a sentence ends.

Always have a book in a bag and in every room.

Always catalogue a finished book.

Forgot one: Remove dust jacket when reading a hardcover.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Darcy, you're a fanatic!! ;)

message 4: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 657 comments I mostly buy physical copies of books I love and want to re-read (someday). Those books over time get written on, highlighted, worn down... I sometimes buy a second copy.

Mostly, I read either library books or ebooks.

Library books I respect. I never write on them, never fold pages, ear mark, spill, and try not to bend the spine. The books are always returned in the same condition as I've received them because I want as many people to receive the joy that I have for free.

Ebooks because they are on my Kindle get marked, highlighted, noted on, etc. I like the freedom to do this to ebooks and still have the ability to delete it all if I wanted. Since most of the ebooks I read are romances, the fun is in pointing out all the bad, cliché, stereotype, and purple prose for review purposes.

Oh, and always read multiple books at once. At least two physical books (one on the nightstand, one in bag), an ebook, and two audiobooks (one on CD in car and another on audible so I can "read" while at the gym).

I usually stop reading at a chapter on or on a break within a chapter.

And lastly go on GR to track progress and finished books.

message 5: by Allie (last edited May 05, 2014 04:18PM) (new)

Allie | 1672 comments Ha! My rules are simple: I always use a bookmark. Read one book at a time. No rereads (unless its Dickens or Austen).

And I dont have to worry about someone writing, bending or folding. I hang out with losers who dont read so no sharing for me! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't lend anyways.... until I'm done and then they can do what they like with it.

message 6: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 657 comments Oh, and yeah my bookmark rules. I don't use any other bookmarks (anymore) other than the ones with magnets and an arrow (that I can point to the exact paragraph where I've left off).

message 7: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 2675 comments Dawn wrote: "Darcy, you're a fanatic!! ;)"

I know... I reckon I'm looking at a rehab programme soon.

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments I think I only have a couple definite rules. No dog eared pages. No writing. (though I have no objection to buying a used book with these)
And I have gotten quite obsessive about logging start and end dates for the correct edition on GR's.

Generally.....no loaning, no rereads, read a series in order, take off dust jackets when reading. These rules can be broken if needed.

And I always source specific books (as in...NOT the times I just randomly walk into a bookstore and pick up a dozen books that look interesting) in this order:
Local Library
Next Town Library
Local Used Store
Amazon
The Book Depository
Abe Books

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Darcy wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Darcy, you're a fanatic!! ;)"

I know... I reckon I'm looking at a rehab programme soon."

Especially after finding out the organization system you use too! :D

message 10: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 657 comments Dawn wrote: "read a series in order"

Ooh, I do that one all the time. I pick up books that sound interesting and then realize they are the nth book in a series and that I must read from the beginning and than re-read that one in context.

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark | 1866 comments Darcy wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Darcy, you're a fanatic!! ;)"

I know... I reckon I'm looking at a rehab programme soon."

Best book me a room as well, same as you Darcy especially with the back breaking.

message 12: by Andy (new)

Andy | 1484 comments :) LOL never EVER lend me a book boys n girls

message 13: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) | 79 comments oh wow this is fun to read!

My rules for books someone borrowed me:
- use a bookmarker, don't crack the spine. be careful. the book must look the same when I return it. I don't understand people who write in library books.

My rules for my own books:
- always dogear. I love dogearing.
- make notes in non-fiction books. Go crazy. But only with pencil. No pen, no markers.
- needless to say, I love second hand books. Far more preferable than new ones. They've got character.
- take of the dust jacket so it doesn't get damaged (I'm obsessive about keeping the dust jacket looking shiny and new, you wouldn't say when you know my other reading habits).

reading habits:
- I always read more than one book at the time (5? 6? at the moment)
- Always carry a book with you.
- I have short story anthologies for every moment I have to wait. I have figured out exactly what length of short story I can read on my commutes. So I'm highly annoyed when I haven't finished the story yet, or if I've finished the story before the train gets to its destination. I take a flash fiction collection with me if I have to wait short periods (like for appointments with the doctor). I HAVE to finish these stories. I can't stop halfway.
- But I'm totally fine stopping even mid-sentence when reading a novel.

message 14: by Simona (last edited May 06, 2014 09:30AM) (new)

Simona | 1447 comments My rules for books: I need to have a couple of books around at all times or I go in withdrawal - panic attack impending if I misplace my Kindle or the book I'm currently reading. And since I'm the tyrant of my small personal reading realm, I am allowed to dogear my books and sometimes (seldom) write a note (only in pencil) BUT OTHER PEOPLE ISN'T! not on MY books, thank you very much.
I also love to put all kinds of things between the pages, letters, photos, clippings, pressed leaves. In this, my Kindle is at a disadvantage.

I must say that I'm mildly suspicious about the article's author because she admits proudly to have read Twilight which is one of the few books I couldn't ever finish...;)

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Don't lend to Andy then....sounds like he'd have to buy you a new book once he was finished!! :)

message 16: by Simona (new)

Simona | 1447 comments I'm very possessive about my books. My preciousssss..., you know? So, no way, that wicked Andy is going to put his paws on MY books.

message 17: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 2675 comments Our little village would have Friday night spine-breaking competitions and half of us would likely hold a protest to save the spines. ;P

message 18: by Andy (new)

Andy | 1484 comments Simona wrote: "I'm very possessive about my books. My preciousssss..., you know? So, no way, that wicked Andy is going to put his paws on MY books."

LOL, Thats dogearred spine-breaker to yous.......

message 19: by Andy (new)

Andy | 1484 comments ear..... that could be my new Viking name?

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 728 comments Hhhmm.
- never ever lend books.
- never ever lend to Andy
- never read before book is covered with contact paper
- never ever dog ear
- never write on them, in them.
- store in chronological order on shelf
- anal much?
- no eating oily food while reading
- put book in special bag when going out

Now that I'm mostly reading ebooks, though, I love to highlight my favourite Uhtred quotes and stuff like that but I still have to finish at a chapter end.

Oh and try TRY not to flick through to make sure the hero lives!!!

There my dirty linen for all to see, "hangs head"

message 21: by Andy (new)

Andy | 1484 comments Yeah Yeah I know my way to the dog pound....

Actually I am very good with library books of late & have used (cough!) a bookmarker..... plus I ALWAYS lick them clean afterwards esp those doused in Salt n vinegar chipsticks.

message 22: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 2675 comments Andy wrote: "Actually I am very good with library books of late & have used (cough!) a bookmarker..... plus I ALWAYS lick them clean afterwards esp those doused in Salt n vinegar chipsticks."

All's well then :D

message 23: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Lisa wrote: "Oh and try TRY not to flick through to make sure the hero lives!!!..."

I can't do this, I can't even bother to make it a rule as I HAVE to know!! :)

message 24: by Jason (new)

Jason Ebbens (jebbens) My rules: I can write in my books that I own but rarely, if ever, do. If I have a book from the library that I want to mark up, I go to Amazon and buy it so I can mark up my own copy. I cannot stand finding markups in library books.

What happens when I am done with a book seems to be the opposite of everyone else. I give my books away! I figure if I enjoyed it, why hoard it for myself. Let someone else enjoy the world that was created within the story. I live by the rule that if it was good enough to keep my attention for an entire novel, it is good enough for someone else to read. If I liked it a lot, then I will purchase it on my iPad if I ever think i will read it again.

message 25: by Lia (last edited May 08, 2014 09:19AM) (new)

Lia (lia_mb) | 636 comments I don't let people borrow MY books. They can check the titles and description on the back cover, but I'll hover around them when they open the book and ready to rescue my book if improper things are about to happen.

message 26: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments You're like a helicopter parent for books! :)

message 27: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 2675 comments Bubble-wrapped books at Lia's for sure.

message 28: by Simona (new)

Simona | 1447 comments Andy wrote: "Yeah Yeah I know my way to the dog pound....

Actually I am very good with library books of late & have used (cough!) a bookmarker..... plus I ALWAYS lick them clean afterwards esp those doused in ..."

LOL

message 29: by Lia (new)

Lia (lia_mb) | 636 comments Dawn wrote: "You're like a helicopter parent for books! :)"

LOL! :)

message 30: by Lia (new)

Lia (lia_mb) | 636 comments Darcy wrote: "Bubble-wrapped books at Lia's for sure."

Or a pair of gloves. :D

message 31: by happy (last edited May 09, 2014 01:57PM) (new)

happy (happyone) | 2672 comments I find it interesting on how many of us take off the dust jackets when reading. If the book is not too long, I tend to use the jacket flap for a book mark.

If the dust jacket is not available, I tend to use a popcicle stick for a book mark.

I don't normally dog ear, and definately don't write in books (text books excepted).

this might be TMI, but I will read paperback will soaking in the tube ( I had an unfortunate experience with a hard back, so I don't do that any more )

message 32: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments What is the point of taking a bath without a book?? :)

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 728 comments Haha Happy! I wouldn't dream of it! I'd be too worried I'd get it wet. All of my books still look like new. I know that's pathetic, but I whether it's a bad book or not, I consider every time I pay for one it's like a little investment. That's mainly because books help me to keep my sanity, all that escapism and stuff. I truly love my ebooks, because I take it everywhere, literally. But I can't wait to get my others out of storage. I have a great hard back copy of War and Peace, translated by this same couple that did Anna Karenina, and I can't wait to finally read that.

Now can we get a waterproof cover for you...........??.

message 34: by Simona (new)

Simona | 1447 comments Dawn wrote: "What is the point of taking a bath without a book?? :)"

To have a nap?

message 35: by happy (last edited May 11, 2014 12:36AM) (new)

happy (happyone) | 2672 comments THAT's how I got in trouble :)

message 36: by Simona (new)

Simona | 1447 comments Lisa wrote: "Oh and try TRY not to flick through to make sure the hero lives!!! ..."

Oh, THAT is something I always do. I look at the end of the book so I can be much more relaxed when I read it.

message 37: by Simona (new)

Simona | 1447 comments happy wrote: "THAT's how I got in trouble :)"

And you discovered your book floating when you woke up because the water was getting cold?
Been there, done that!

message 38: by Sceadugenga (new)

Sceadugenga Simona wrote: "happy wrote: "THAT's how I got in trouble :)"

And you discovered your book floating when you woke up because the water was getting cold?
Been there, done that!"

In my case the splash woke me up but it was too late...thank god for kindles and ziploc bags!!!

message 39: by Simona (new)

Simona | 1447 comments ooo..good idea! I'll do that! :)

message 40: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 2672 comments Simona wrote: "happy wrote: "THAT's how I got in trouble :)"

Been there, done that!"

THe splash woke me up - but the book was ruined :(

message 41: by Sceadugenga (new)

Sceadugenga happy wrote: "Simona wrote: "happy wrote: "THAT's how I got in trouble :)"

Been there, done that!"

THe splash woke me ..."

Well mine was one of my $1.50 junkers so after a little sun and ironing it was still readable....I would never dream of getting something like a Don Troiani book near the tub.....LOL

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 728 comments Simona, I am hopeless when it comes to flicking to the end. But once I know I can read without anxiety. It's become a complete OCD for me, and makes my husband laugh and laugh whenever I'm found doing it, lol.

message 43: by Simona (new)

Simona | 1447 comments I do it in private - I often read long during the night, so I can always denay I had a peek...;)

message 44: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 2675 comments Lisa wrote: "Simona, I am hopeless when it comes to flicking to the end. But once I know I can read without anxiety. It's become a complete OCD for me, and makes my husband laugh and laugh whenever I'm found do..."

Probably George R.R. Martin's books would give someone an apoplexy when exploring as to who makes it or not.

message 45: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments It is nice to know I'm not the only one who reads the end first so they can enjoy the rest of the book. :)

message 46: by Jane (new)

Jane | 3455 comments Dawn wrote: "It is nice to know I'm not the only one who reads the end first so they can enjoy the rest of the book. :)"

With mysteries, I'm so terrible at guessing whodunit, that often I peek ahead to the revelation of the perp. Then I go back and read the book in order. I like to trace out how that conclusion is reached and the motivation for the crime.

I usually read the 'Author's Note' first.

message 47: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 564 comments I have very few rules for books.

Never write in print books.
Never buy or borrow a print book (if possible) that anyone has written in.
If it's an e-book, go nuts. I can always take it out. ;-)
Keep a list of books I lend, because I can't remember squat these days.
If all else fails, buy a new copy.

And last but not least, read lots!

message 48: by Walter (last edited May 19, 2014 09:15AM) (new)

Walter Mcwilliams | 1 comments If I can afford it I always buy and read 1st/1st signed hardcovers only. If not, then hardback followed by paperback if there is no other choice.
Always take the dustcover off and use a book mark.
Only read one book at a time.
I hate ebooks.
No lending

message 49: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberlibri) | 785 comments I'm pretty much the same as the majority.
Learned my lesson on lending so no mas.
I don't take the dust jacket off of new books. I can't stand fingerprints and such on the book boards. Instead I have a stretchy fabric cover that is 'one size fits all' that I slide over each book and remove when done.
I used to buy and keep hardcovers only. Then we ran out of space. My husband bought me a kindle and I have around 200 so far on that device. I've cut down the books in house to just over 600.
I do a yearly purge where I take the older ones off the shelf and replace them with the new ones I've bought but there are some that will stay with me always.

message 50: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments I think I read a quote somewhere the other day: 'There is never too many books, only not enough bookshelves' or something along that line!

« previous 1

Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Twilight (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Bernard Cornwell (other topics)
George R.R. Martin (other topics)