David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Book Talk > Favorite Indie or Self Published Reads

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited May 01, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
I had so much fun this weekend at a local book event, The North Iowa Book Bash. The majority of the authors were Indie or self-published, and I'd only heard of a few. I had so much fun getting to meet everyone!

I realized that in most of our threads we tend to talk about mostly the "Big 6" published books. Occasionally, we'll talk of a few others, but I would love to hear more the Indies!

What are your favorites?

message 2: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Of course my fave is David Estes :) :) :) I love all of his books, but my faves of his are: Slip (Slip, #1) by David Estes Grip (Slip, #2) by David Estes Flip (Slip, #3) by David Estes Strings by David Estes Fire Country (The Country Saga, #1) by David Estes Ice Country (The Country Saga, #2) by David Estes

That was kind of hard to narrow down, because I love them all!

message 3: by Donna (last edited May 01, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Donna (bookdragongirl) | 486 comments Oh, this is a good topic and a good way to find out about other great authors! David is also one of my favorite authors, and his new book Strings by David Estes was AWESOME!!! I also love so many of his books, and look forward to loving more!!!

I had the chance to read Rising by Patrick Sean Lee last year and loved it. I'm waiting for him to release more!!

I have a few by self-published/Indie Authors in my to-read list. There are probably some real gems out there. I'm looking forward to hearing what others have found!

message 4: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Cool, Donna, I've added to it my Wish List! Its only $1.49, that's a steal!

message 5: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited May 03, 2016 03:46AM) (new)

I'm a big Keary Taylor fan! I actually got to meet her a few years ago in Nashville! Her The Bane (The Eden Trilogy, #1) by Keary Taylor series is my fave! She has a contemporary series I've yet to read. Her newest series is House of Royals by Keary Taylor which is good, but very bloody and dark!

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna (bookdragongirl) | 486 comments Thanks Jenny, I bought The Bane. It's free right now on Amazon, so I couldn't pass it up!!

message 7: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Donna wrote: "Thanks Jenny, I bought The Bane. It's free right now on Amazon, so I couldn't pass it up!!"

Awesome! I love it when the first book in a series is free, its a great chance to try it!

message 8: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

One that I think hardly anyone knows about but its a FANTASTIC read, especially if you love dystopians, fantasies, and kind of a mystery is There Comes a Prophet by David Litwack

I also recently read his The Daughter of the Sea and the Sky by David Litwack which I didn't like quite as much, but was still a good read.

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4283 comments My favourite David Estes book so far is Strings. Though, to be honest, I have yet to read a David Estes book I haven't enjoyed to some degree... Even his Evolution trilogy is really good (though not as amazing as his books became from The Moon Dwellers onwards).

Other self-published or indie authors I love - in no particular order - are: John Hennessy, Geoffrey Wakeling, James Field, David M. Staniforth, Katrina Cope, and Sabrina Flynn.

There are others... I've read books by several authors I know are self-published - spanning all age groups, and in many different genres - and been lucky enough to enjoy most of them... But those are the ones who spring to mind first right now.

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna (bookdragongirl) | 486 comments WOW Victoria, this is awesome! I will check out these authors for sure!!! :)

message 11: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Thanks for that list, Victoria! I have heard of a few of those, but the others I added to my TBR!

message 12: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4283 comments Jenny and Donna: I hope you enjoy those you check out as much as I do! :)

message 13: by Victoria (last edited May 01, 2016 10:14PM) (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4283 comments Others worth checking out, if you haven't already - again, in no particular order - are: A.C. Harrah, Michelle Cornwell-Jordan, Alessandra Nadudvari, Alexia Purdy, Diana L. Wicker, Gita V.Reddy, Rosemary J. Peel, Dominic Green, Laurel A. Rockefeller, Jackie Small, John H. Carroll, and Susan Day.

Some of those I enjoy more than others, but I think they're all worth taking a look at, anyway.

There are a couple of others I would have mentioned, but the themes of their writing are a bit more... Erm... Mature. In fact, a lot more in the case of two of them. So I didn't feel I should recommend them on a thread in this group, and left them off the list.

message 14: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10712 comments Mod
Awesome thread! I love to learn about new Indie authors! And thank you all for all the nice compliments, you are so kind :) Some of my Indie favorites:

Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue (The Bern Saga, #1) by Hugh Howey Half Way Home by Hugh Howey Wool (Wool, #1) by Hugh Howey I love all these older Hugh Howey series although I don't really like his new stuff very much.

The Phantom of the Earth (The Phantom of the Earth #1-5) by Raeden Zen this series is excellent. I'd call it a SciFi Game of Thrones, but not nearly as long.

Creation by Kat Mellon a really short but beautifully written novella by one of my beta readers.

message 15: by Oda Renate (new)

Oda Renate (odasbooklove) | 3252 comments Some of my fave books are by indie authors.
My picks:
Contingency (Sage Hannigan Time Warper, #1) by P.S. Martinez great timetravell quartet, first labeled as a new adult now its rerealised as ya. Not sure why it was na first, maybe because the protagonist is 18 in the first book?
Wander Dust (The Seraphina Parrish Trilogy, #1) by Michelle Warren another fun tt book.
Aerenden The Child Returns (Ærenden, #1) by Kristen Taber

message 16: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

David wrote: "Awesome thread! I love to learn about new Indie authors! And thank you all for all the nice compliments, you are so kind :) Some of my Indie favorites:

[bookcover:Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue..."

Hugh Howey!! Love :) I've only read Wool, Sand, and Halfway Home by him. LOVED Wool and Halfway Home. I didn't like Sand as much, but I still liked it! One thing you have to say for him, he has some original ideas!

message 17: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

David wrote: "Awesome thread! I love to learn about new Indie authors! And thank you all for all the nice compliments, you are so kind :) Some of my Indie favorites:

[bookcover:Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue..."

Oh and I just grabbed Phantom of the Earth, its only .99 cents on Kindle for the whole set! Looks promising :)

message 18: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Oda wrote: "Some of my fave books are by indie authors.
My picks:
Contingency (Sage Hannigan Time Warper, #1) by P.S. Martinezgreat timetravell quartet, first labeled as a new adult now its rerealised as ya. Not sure why it was na first,..."

I went to look at these on Amazon, and I had already bought Contingency and Wander Dust a long time ago LOL! Guess I'll have to bump them up my list!

message 19: by Donna (new)

Donna (bookdragongirl) | 486 comments WOW Oda, I didn't know Kristen published a book!! And she's on my friends list....what kind of friend am I?!!! I bought it and will read it soon! Sounds intriguing!!

message 20: by Donna (new)

Donna (bookdragongirl) | 486 comments I think I am gonna make it a goal to read only indie and self-published books for a month!! After I finish reading A Court of Mist and Fury, that is! :D

message 21: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I'm going to add Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1) by Tracy Banghart Storm Fall (Rebel Wing, #2) by Tracy Banghart Torn Sky (Rebel Wing, #3) by Tracy Banghart to this thread! I just finished this trilogy and really enjoyed it! Quick, fun reads with lots of action and smart tech!

message 22: by Karen’s Library (last edited May 04, 2016 10:22AM) (new)

Karen’s Library | 11248 comments Mod
I've been so brain dead so except for our DAVID, I couldn't think!

So last night while trying to go to sleep, I couldn't turn it off! Hahahhaah...

Yea, Hugh Howey is the most popular! He self publishes almost everything to start and he has publishers waiting in line to grab his stuff up. He's teasing that something just got signed to a movie or TV series. I think it's his newest Beacon 23 by Hugh Howey which I grabbed as he self published each section (there are 5). Now it's published, and I think the movie rights were sold before he even finished writing it. YIKES!

message 23: by Karen’s Library (last edited May 04, 2016 10:22AM) (new)

Rysa Walker was also self published and then her book Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1) by Rysa Walker was purchased by Skyscape and republished as Timebound. It was originally Time's Twisted Arrow which Jenny had read. And now... Rysa is one of our favorites in this group! :)

message 24: by Karen’s Library (last edited May 04, 2016 10:27AM) (new)

Others that I have read and enjoyed:

Sarah Lyons Fleming Until the End of the World (Until the End of the World #1) by Sarah Lyons Fleming (I devoured this series!)
Daniel Arthur Smith Hugh Howey Lives by Daniel Arthur Smith
S.M. McEachern Sunset Rising (Sunset Rising, #1) by S.M. McEachern

message 25: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Jenny wrote: "I'm going to add Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1) by Tracy BanghartStorm Fall (Rebel Wing, #2) by Tracy BanghartTorn Sky (Rebel Wing, #3) by Tracy Banghart to this thread! I just finished this trilogy and really enjoyed it! Quick, fun reads wit..."

Agreed, these are good books and I've met the author who lives in Hawaii! She'll be signing books with me at my local library later this month, which will be pretty cool :)

message 26: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Karen wrote: "Others that I have read and enjoyed:

Sarah Lyons Fleming Until the End of the World (Until the End of the World #1) by Sarah Lyons Fleming (I devoured this series!)
Daniel Arthur Smith [bookcover:..."

I started reading Until the End of the World yesterday, Karen, but I stopped before I got too far along. Maybe 8%. I do plan to continue, but I was having trouble getting into it because it seemed like just the typical zombie book and I wasn't that thrilled with the characters. But based on your review and the other reviews I've read, I'm guessing it gets a lot better. Though I think you will be happy with the book I started reading in its place :) :) :)

message 27: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Donna wrote: "I think I am gonna make it a goal to read only indie and self-published books for a month!! After I finish reading A Court of Mist and Fury, that is! :D"

Most of what I've been reading on my Kindle lately is Indie. There are so many that look interesting to me in KU, so I've been working on my KU TBR :)

message 28: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

David wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I'm going to add Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1) by Tracy BanghartStorm Fall (Rebel Wing, #2) by Tracy BanghartTorn Sky (Rebel Wing, #3) by Tracy Banghart to this thread! I just finished this trilogy and really enjoyed it! Quick,..."

LUCKY! Tell her hi for me and I loved her books!

message 30: by Donna (new)

Donna (donanicole) | 896 comments Jenny wrote: "David wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I'm going to add Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1) by Tracy BanghartStorm Fall (Rebel Wing, #2) by Tracy BanghartTorn Sky (Rebel Wing, #3) by Tracy Banghart to this thread! I just finished this trilogy and really enjo..."

I just downloaded Rebel Wing and am excited to try this series. Thanks for the refer.

David wrote: "Karen wrote: "Others that I have read and enjoyed:

[author:Daniel Arthur Smith|689381..."

David, this was a zombie series that wasn't as ugly as usual. I loved some of the characters and the bantering between. But it wasn't super unique or anything. I just enjoyed it for a nice easy zombie romance story. ;)

And I saw what you're reading now!!! Yaaaaayyyyyy.... Now that's an epic book!

David wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I'm going to add Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1) by Tracy BanghartStorm Fall (Rebel Wing, #2) by Tracy BanghartTorn Sky (Rebel Wing, #3) by Tracy Banghart to this thread! I just finished this trilogy and really enjoyed it! Quick,..."

I've read Rebel Wing and enjoyed it!! I need to read thenother two! I have them in my Kindle. :)

Say hi to Tracy Banghart from me too!!

message 33: by Donna (new)

Donna (bookdragongirl) | 486 comments Just read A Distant Voice by Bridie Blake and it was wonderful! I'm looking forward to more from this author!!

message 34: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Jenny wrote: "David wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I'm going to add Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1) by Tracy BanghartStorm Fall (Rebel Wing, #2) by Tracy BanghartTorn Sky (Rebel Wing, #3) by Tracy Banghart to this thread! I just finished this trilogy and really enjo..."

Will do!!!!

message 35: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Karen wrote: "David wrote: "Karen wrote: "Others that I have read and enjoyed:

[author:Daniel Arthu..."

Ah, okay. Hmm I might skip it, not sure yet. And YES, I am so glad I saw you raving about The Passage and picked it back up. I am loving it the second time around. Not sure why I couldn't get through it last time, but this time I'm definitely in the right mindset. 42% finished :)