Start by marking “A Distant Voice” as Want to Read:

A Distant Voice

In life you don’t find your voice. It finds you.

Violet Hayes knows how to survive the year living with her grandmother in the small town of Wandorah, Tennessee.

• Make Rose happy
• Don’t sing or play guitar
• Avoid Sally Shaw
• Ignore Carter Jenkins

It seems simple enough, right? Wrong.

• How do you keep a depressed sister happy?
• How do you deny yourself your dream?
• How do you
Published October 30th 2015 by Evernight Teen

To ask other readers questions about A Distant Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Distant Voice

Dianne
Bridie Blake has a touching YA read plus a great Giveaway! Enter to win a $10 Gift Card
Click on Banner to Enter - International where allowed

We can't go back, but we can move forward...What does a teen do after her life has been completely shredded, uprooted and is now on a downhill freefall through the brambles of life, young love and the desire to be “normal?” Violet can barely remember the last time she actually felt happy, carefree and loved participating in life. She is the self-appointed b
Susan

Birdie Blake

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A DISTANT VOICE broke my heart. I just wanted to reach into this wonderful story and give Violet a great big hug. She is just a kid and her life and world have been turned upside down and left her devastated and lonely. After a tragedy in her family occurs she leaves Chicago and moves in with her grandmother in Tennessee. Violet is struggling with keeping it together. Her dad left and ever since her m
Donna
There are some books that touch your heart so deeply, and A Distant Voice is one of those books. Bridie Blake did an amazing job making the reader feel the emotions, there was some difficult subjects and she handled them so well. It's a wonderful story about family, friendships and mental illness. This story has so much depth and truly speaks to the heart. I definitely highly recommend this one!! This indie author is a treasure worth finding! It’s a favorite of mine!! 5++ Stars!!!!

Wonderful, heart wrenching story about family,relationships and mental illness.

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*. Highly recommend if you enjoy YA!
Stephanie
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story is about the mental illness, family, healing and relationship.

Rose and Violet are the sibling that have struggling with family’s problems. Rose is a perfect daughter, good grades, polite, funny and beautiful. Violet put Rose happiness before her own and she tries to be good and perfect as Rose but she cant. Violet always live in Rose’s shadow for all this time. The fact that her dad walk out from their life to live with another woman and stress mother drag her into the state of depress
Ara
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, young-adult, family
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

When I first started reading this, despite how much sympathy I felt, I just could not get myself to like Violet. I was really annoyed with her. She was very dismissive of anyone that attempted to make conversation with her, or just glanced at her, for that matter. But... I can't get too upset over that. Violet has been through a lot, her remaining family isn't exactly ideal, and she is going through a big change in her life. I
Brittany
Check out my blog to see Reviews of Book and Movies, and check out some Recipes!

A Distant Voice pulls you into the depths of depression and alcohol abuse. There is luckily sunny spots amidst the darkness, but parts are really painful to read. For me, as a mother, Violet's feelings often broke my heart for her. I hope that my son never fells those things. Very realistically written and geared for the young adult audience. solid 4 stars.

*I received a copy of this book for free from the For Love of
Christie
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This book was looking to be a 2 star read near the start. I struggled a great deal to like and appreciate Violet, but as it went on a lot more became clear. I do think that the start of the book needs a bit of work though, as I honestly thought Violet was an ungrateful little git for too long. This book is about mental health, abuse and family. It is about how we deal with trauma and about growing up and livi
Stacey Kennedy
I received a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.

What a poignant story about family, grief, love and new beginnings. The O'Connor family struggles with mental illness and addictions- generations of it. Ms. Blake demonstrates through her writing how this difficult subject matter affects each family member's perceptions of their part in keeping the family together and the burden of trying to keep everyone else happy, even putting others' happiness before their own.

The psyche of
Kayla Tornello
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The characters in this book seem like very real teenagers. They all have different problems to deal with. The main character, Violet, has to deal with moving to a new town after her father left, her mother began abusing alcohol, and her older sister attempted suicide while in the midst of a devastating depression. I like that this book referenced a lot of different music. It would make a good soundtrack! I think this book will really speak to teens.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange
Mary D
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A Distant Voice is a beautifully written YA story about friendships, mental illness, family, and grief. Throughout this book I felt I was with Violet in a dark, cold cave on a roller coaster ride. I just wanted to wrap my arms around Violet and assure her this ride would end with brightness at the end. Thank you Birdie Blake for your writing style with this novel.
Anniek
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Violet Hayes struggles through life. Her father walked out on her leaving her to deal with her mom and her sister Rose all alone. Ever since her father left her mom is not leaving her bed, let alone the house and Rose mostly doesn't even leave her room. They pack up their stuff to live with her grandmother Iris in a small town called Wandorah.

Iris O'Connor once was a very famous singer but her career went out like a flame after a performance that went bad. Violet has a lot to deal with. Her moth
Leah
I didn't realize how much I loved this book until I was nearly done with it.

I couldn't put it down. From the second I started reading yesterday, I hated not being able to read it nonstop to the end. I woke up and read a little before I went to work, read through my hour lunch, and by the time my last break at work was ending, I had finished the book and seriously wanted to weep. I was surprised by how emotional I got over it; I had to turn my back to co-workers because I really didn't feel like
Tiffany Heywood
i recieved this book from the group for love of a book for an honest review.

This book is really good and heart wrenching. The author is makes us feel all different emotions throughout the whole book and handles the issues of the book very well. i recommend it
Mary Dean
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. That is the only word to describe this book. It had my emotions on a roller coaster ride. This is the story of Violet. She is dealing with a lot. She just moved to her Gran's house. Her mother is depressed because her father left them and is happy with his new girlfriend. And she feels guilty for enjoying any part of her life outside of her sister Rose. She has way too much on her for a senior in high school. She makes friends with Sally and Marcus, no matter how hard she tries to push them ...more
Shaa
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
OMG this book gives me so much feelings! From depress to happy and then to excited and back to sad, ugh. But anyway, I love it!

This book is actually depressing to read for me especially Rose's parts, every time. I kind of started to hate Rose and said to myself I will hate Rose officially at the end of the book but... yeah.

I feel so sorry for Violet throughout the story. It's not fair for her. Every time she starts to feel happy, Rose will be there trying to turn her to feel sad and guilty again
Allie
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This was very much a coming of age story where the main character was helping others get over certain issues leaving for her to end up dealing with her own.
I loved the character development in this story and the premise of the book.
This book did touch on certain subjects such as depression, death and a little bit in alcoholism.
The main character, Violet, was easily relatable which was a great thing in a story, or at least in my opinion.
She is very much a giver as she was helping her sister and o
Michelle Kidwell
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing

by Bridie Blake

Evernight Teen

Teens & YA

Pub Date 14 Oct 2015

I am voluntarily reviewing a copy of A Distant Voice through the publisher and Netgalley:

Violet Hayes has spent her life living in her Sister Rose's Shadow. She needs to make Rose happy, she's not suppose to sing or play guitar, in order to survive the year living with her Grandmother in Wandora Tennessee.

Violet sees Rose as the apple of her Mothers eye, whereas she is only tolerated. Violet does her best to avoid Sa
Noelle Walsh
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A touching tale of family, loss, mental illness, and grief. The characters feel like real people, whether they're adults or teens and the plot is very well developed. The author's style is very easy to read and this book would make for a good one for a book club or to read by yourself.

*won as a GoodReads Giveaway*
Georgia
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It had a twist that I definitely didn’t see coming!
Claudia
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, contemporary, ya
Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book made cry, made me smile, and in the end, it left me absolutely crushed.

When I started reading I thought that this story sounded really familiar. It was way too similar to that Sandra Bullock film Hope Floats, only instead of a little girl, now is two teenage daughters. Luckily, I kept reading, because this book proved to be so much more than that (and something else completely).

The main chara
Paris
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a free e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Violet is struggling to come to terms with her dad leaving her mum, and having to deal with her mum and sister's depression. After moving to her famous grandma's house she is finding it even harder to keep a balance between having her own happiness and being there for her mum and sister.
With an unexpected twist, this book is definitely worth a read.

I absolutely loved this book, it even reduced me to tears and that hasn't h
SarahMiller
Jun 26, 2016
Katie Jo
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book was fantastic! The characters were well developed and the story did a great job representing and dealing with depression. There are very few authors that can so eloquently write about tough subjects like depression and suicide. Holy crap that plot twist came outta no where!! You'll have to read it to find out the truth and how well Violet handles living in Tennessee.
Jerricka Habib
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had me bawling at the end! I highly recommend this book! It deals a lot with depression in the family and how it hangs over and affects the whole family.
Tina.K.
Maureen
Jan 25, 2018
LuvCray☹ ☺♥ ♡
Nov 10, 2016
  • Whatever It Takes (Saratoga Falls Love Story, #1)
  • Forever ME
  • Georgetown Academy: Book Two
  • Bacon Pie
  • 4 to 16 Characters
  • Blue Waters (Tainted Water #1)
  • Lost in Los Angeles
  • By My Side
  • Snip, Snip Revenge
  • Keeping Kyler (The Kennedy Boys, #3)
  • The Law of Tall Girls
  • Candra's Freedom (The Golden Key Chronicles #2)
  • Summer Haikus
  • The Light of Day
  • We Thought We Were Invincible (Invincible, #1)
  • Burning Fate (Moonburner Cycle, #0.5)
  • The Goat Children
  • Mine -Uncut Version (Mine #1)
Bridie Blake lives, daydreams and writes in Melbourne, Australia. She’s happiest at her computer, coffee in hand, Tim Tams on standby and her furry companion Poppy at her feet. When not writing she’s usually found with a book in her hand or playing with her tribe of nieces and nephews.

Bridie is the author of THE JEWEL OF KAMARA, a YA Fantasy novel, and the YA contemporary novel from Evernight Teen