Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Reading The Whole Series In One Go. Yes Or No??

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Beth The Vampire (beth_the_vampire) | 5 comments Okay, so I wanted people’s opinions on this topic because I find myself at an impasse and was curious about what other people do.

I am currently in the middle of a number of series including Night Huntress, Guild Hunter, Anita Blake, Downside Ghosts, Fever Series, Women Of the Otherworld, Gwen Sparks, Riley Jensen Guardian, and The Hollows. Some I have read only the first, others the first two, and some even three or four. Now some of these I am really enjoying, such as Nigh Huntress and the Fever series, and I own all the books but don’t want to go through them too fast as I like to savour them. I also have on my shelf the first books in the Sabrina Kane Series, as well as Kate Daniels, Chicagoland Vampires, Blood Ties, Alpha and Omega, Alex Craft, Cassandra Palmer, Shadow World, MoonBound Clan Vampire, and Nighwalker….to name a few

So what do other people do in this situation? Do some people prefer to start a whole bunch of series and finish them all before starting the next bunch, do people read a series from start to finish, or only have two at a time? Or are people like me, and can remember mostly what is going on but like to dabble in everything at once?

I ask because I am staring at my bookcase (firstly thinking that I really need to buy more books, and 5 full cases, floor to ceiling, is simply not enough!) and wondering where I go from here…

What do other people do, or who has any advice for what I should do next???

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I tend to space out books in a series for two reasons. First, if I read the books too closely together, I often lose interest in the ongoing storyline and get burned out. Second, I also like to savor the books and if I read them all at once it feels rushed.

I usually space out books in a series one per month. That way I still remember what's going on and don't lose interest in the story.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (phonebooklady) If I like the series, I binge. However, I do have a lot of series that I've started but they just didn't wow me. I get back to those series when I need something for a challenge.

message 4: by Mell (new)

Mell (mellrouvray) Definitely depends on the series. Some I feel the need to keep reading, others I don't. The Beautiful series by Lilliana Anderson keeps me going, I think because the next book links from a minor character in the previous. But then I've twice put The Hunger Games on the back burner because I just can't finish the books..

message 5: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 87 comments I would never read an entire series in one go, no matter how much I love it. Apart from the fact you run out of books too quickly, you also start to notice things the author does – constantly using words they love or whatever – and it starts to annoy you even if you wouldn’t have usually noticed it!

I read the first four Mercy Thompson books in February/March and made myself wait until now to read #6. I’m going to force myself to wait at least a fortnight before reading the next one! I’m not going to be happy when I get to the end…

But I also read across almost every genre, so when I finish a few good urban fantasy books, I’ll go looking for something historical, then a suspense book and so on.

message 6: by Tracy T. (new)

Tracy T. | 252 comments It really depends on the series. Some series, I'll binge, but some I'll space out. Right now, I'm trying to space out series so that I don't get burned out on one genre.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments Lauren wrote: "I tend to space out books in a series for two reasons. First, if I read the books too closely together, I often lose interest in the ongoing storyline and get burned out. Second, I also like to sav..."
I usually can't read more than two in a row either, even if I love the series.

I guess it really depends on you and how you can read them. Some people can read them in one go and some (like me) can't.

Beth The Vampire (beth_the_vampire) | 5 comments Thanks for the comments guys!

I think the issue I'm having at the moment is that I feel like I'm going to start too many series and forget where one ends and the other begins...but I guess that's a bit hard, especially when you can't read any further because the book hasn't actually been written yet.

message 9: by Mell (new)

Mell (mellrouvray) Elizabeth wrote: "Thanks for the comments guys!

I think the issue I'm having at the moment is that I feel like I'm going to start too many series and forget where one ends and the other begins...but I guess that's ..."

That's the problem I've been having - reading series that aren't completed yet! I have reminders set for the release of the next books haha

message 10: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited May 05, 2014 05:54PM) (new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (karma_bites) | 62 comments Elizabeth, IDK if this will work for you but for long-running series, I keep a TXT for each series & jot quick notes re: each book (usually MCs, basic storyline/any progress to series arc, new secondary characters, ending). That way, I can refresh my memory as needed, especially if there's a lull in-between books. :)

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Karma♥Bites ^.~ wrote: "Elizabeth, IDK if this will work for you but for long-running series, I keep a TXT for each series & jot quick notes re: each book (usually MCs, basic storyline/any progress to series arc, new seco..."

You can also put comments to remind you in the notes section here on Goodreads - that's what I do to refresh my memory.

message 12: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited May 06, 2014 11:31PM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 407 comments There are pros and cons..

The big pro is that you don't forget all those tiny plot points and nuances that you can't recall if there is a big gap between books.

The con is that even if you love the series, the writing can get a little repetitive or stale especially if there are heaps of books in the series. And if you space them out, the reading enjoyment is continued so much longer.

message 13: by Pippa (last edited May 07, 2014 04:44AM) (new)

Pippa DaCosta | 68 comments I get series burnout after 4 or 5 books in a row. Especially with the likes of PNR - where basically it's the same format over and over. Burnout means I start skipping paragraphs, losing interest, picking up on overused words. These are the warning signs. Once the warning flags go up, I know it's time to take a break from the series and try something else.

There are exceptions. If I'm left hanging I'll always buy the next book. The Fever Series comes to mind.

I gave up on the BDB because it all got very samey - the Midnight Breed series is also starting to get repetitive, so I've put those to one side for a while. I'm now enjoying the October Daye series - and will probably get burnout after the next couple of books.

Before GoodReads I'd pick up a new series - wait for the next in the series to be published - and then forget it even existed (never remembering to pick up newly released sequels). I've rediscovered series' thanks to GR.

So yes, I take a break and go back to it fresh.

message 14: by Josephine (new)

Josephine McNabb | 17 comments I love reading a series all in one go! Saves me from having to wait until the next one is released. I understand what you mean about burnout, but with books that are all about different characters with their own mini plot, like Kresley coles books, I just love it..

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 76 comments Karma♥Bites ^.~ wrote: "Elizabeth, IDK if this will work for you but for long-running series, I keep a TXT for each series & jot quick notes re: each book (usually MCs, basic storyline/any progress to series arc, new seco..."

I'm finding my Evernote app good for that. I can use it on my harddrive, my Kindle (or a tablet), and online, and the notes will sync. Very handy.

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 76 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Thanks for the comments guys!

I think the issue I'm having at the moment is that I feel like I'm going to start too many series and forget where one ends and the other begins...but I guess that's ..."

I could not read more than one series at a time. I read two or three of a series, switch to something totally different, then go back and pick up on the series for another 2 or 3. Reading more than one series at a time would get me very confused on characters, plot lines, "rules", etc. Bingeing on a series gives me the burnout issues that others here have mentioned. It's been over a year since I read my last BDB, but the thought of picking up a new one just turns me off no matter how curious I am about the new characters.

message 17: by Pippa (new)

Pippa DaCosta | 68 comments Andrea wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Thanks for the comments guys!

I think the issue I'm having at the moment is that I feel like I'm going to start too many series and forget where one ends and the other begins...b..."

I have that problem with BDB at the moment. I picked up two recently, and they just didn't click with me like they used to.

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 111 comments I can't ever read more than one book in a series at a time. As soon as one is done, I have to switch to something different. I'll read a PNR then I'll switch to YA so I can get everything kind of spaced out more. It does get somewhat confusing though - I have at least 30 series that I've read sometimes one, sometimes many books in. Usually there's some sort of re-cap in the beginning of novels to remind what the world is like and what the characters were last up to.

message 19: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 534 comments Occasionally I'll read them all in one go but not often -- reading too many in the series in a row seems to get boring for me. Usually I don't read more than 2 from the same series in a row before switching. Then I'll get something else from the same genre. my limit on same genre is about 6 in a row before I have to switch to a different genre.

message 20: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (trina1024) | 4 comments It depends on how long the series is for me. I can read four or five books in a row before I have to go to a different series or book.

message 21: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 76 comments For those who get confused, I'm going to endorse the free app Evernote again.
I have similar problems keeping characters and order and details straight in my head. Then I discovered evernote and it's useful for LOTS of things I need to keep track of. It automatically syncs between devices. Most authors of series have charts, family trees, dictionaries, etc on their sites and I can d/l it directly into a note on the app. Then you can quickly look it up any place you are.

lol! I promise, I've received no compensation for my endorsement. Just the enthusiasm of a user. I've been using it for a couple of months now and found it easy to learn. They offer a paid upgrade but I'm happy with what I have.

message 22: by Josephine (new)

Josephine | 1 comments I can read multiple series at once, but often times, I like to finished one series at once then to another series of stories, I am getting thrilled to finish it quickly tho. My mood of reading stories enhance me to read more as I get along.

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Andrea wrote: "For those who get confused, I'm going to endorse the free app Evernote again.
I have similar problems keeping characters and order and details straight in my head. Then I discovered evernote and it..."

I love Evernote but I never though of using it to keep track of plot points. Thanks for the tip, Andrea.

message 24: by Ariel (new)

Ariel (ariel249) | 6 comments For the most part, I just read all the books at once. but I am also the type that reads on book at a time.

message 25: by Ariel (new)

Ariel (ariel249) | 6 comments I like to immerse myself in a world... that's probably the reason

message 26: by Ariel (new)

Ariel (ariel249) | 6 comments *All the books in a series at once

message 27: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Wester | 125 comments I personally prefer to follow a story through if I am hooked... But, recently I have not been grabbed as easily & the availability of so many books makes me think again before buying. Also, I dabble into different genres all the time so I would never stick with PNR.

I think if you are unsure it means the series you have read have not lured you in... So I would say, go check the free charts and see what's around or visit a charity shop! I am just reading a book I bought for 30p!

Hope this helps :)

message 28: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 76 comments Ariel and Vanessa, I'm curious and somewhat awed. Are you talking about the series that run 12 books and upwards? Wow!

message 29: by Mochaspresso (new)

Mochaspresso  | 9 comments I'm not very good at attempting to read multiple books at the same time. It takes me longer to read them and it also feels like I haven't accomplished anything because so many unfinished stories are hanging around. If I like the series, I prefer to just read them all at once before moving on to another.

message 30: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Wester | 125 comments Andrea

Nope, sorry to disappoint but I have only read a "series" up to book7 when I got bored at the fact it never ended...

I tend to follow an author more, if I love their books... I had a serious Agatha Christie obsession as a teen! I think I have read most of her books! Once I like the style of writing I am hooked :)

message 31: by Ariel (new)

Ariel (ariel249) | 6 comments No matter how long the series. I feel like if I stop, I'll never know the end of the story... My bit of undiagnosed (and fictional) OCD kicks in.

message 32: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Wester | 125 comments I know what you mean, Ariel... I have always wondered what happened with some series I stopped. But, the thing is I don't like to be strung along either. The same thing happens with Tv Series. It just loses the initial vibe, and it would have been better sometimes to quit whilst you are ahead! Saying that... BRING BACK FRIENDS :(

message 33: by Ariel (new)

Ariel (ariel249) | 6 comments Oh Friends~ I totally get your way too Vanessa... its probably better than being manipulated by a series XD Somehow I don't have a problem with stopping a TV series I started. Maybe it's less personal than a book that I get caught up with.

message 34: by Beth The Vampire (new)

Beth The Vampire (beth_the_vampire) | 5 comments The only reason I have stopped with series is because I am loving them too much and don't want them to end. For example, I'm in love with the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost, but I want to make the series last, and every time I pick up a book again I get so excited, and I think that increases my enjoyment of the book itself. But this keeps happening too much...but I am scared of getting lost.

message 35: by Serena (new)

Serena Lawrence (serena_lawrence) | 5 comments I pretty much NEED to read a series all in one go! It's like binge-watching box sets of television shows -- once I start, I can't stop! Haha. I'm on the lookout for a new series to start. Any recs?

S
amzn.to/N1FMTQ

message 36: by C.C. (new)

C.C. | 219 comments It depends on the series really.
If it's really good I can read it in one go until the very last book that was published.
If the series was shitty-ish not amazing but not bad either, I usually take breaks after every book.

message 37: by Janka (new)

Janka (jankad) It definitely depends on series. There are series that I read in one go (obviously published before I discovered the author lol) but those are short series (3 books or so). There are series that I can take or leave. Usually I take a bteak after each book. But if I love particular series I really hate waiting for next book to come out. Im impatient lol

message 38: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 4 comments I am in your shoes. So this year starting in Jan I have been finishing up "completed" series that I never finished. I re-read. I like to be completely in the worlds that I am reading, so I only read one book at a time and I re-read all series before taking on the new one. I would finish up a few series and then maybe start a new one. Then go back to finishing series. I would also focus on the ones that are finished. This year alone I have finally finished The Immortals, Sweep, Riley Bloom, Soul Seekers, Fallen and The Secret Circle. That way I can scratch them off my list for good. It is a system that works for me. Good Luck and Happy Reading!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I definitely prefer to read all at once before starting another series. If I like it enough I'm completely hooked and can't to do the next book.

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan Catalano (susancatalano) | 27 comments If the next book isn't available, I'll re-read the first book (or 2 or so) before reading the next. If I discover a series after all (or most) are published, I'll read them one after another.

I like both scenarios. One is full of anticipation and reliving a great story, and the other is instant gratification.

message 41: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Rosa (veronicadelrosa) I have to read all the books available in a series. I simply can't read just one which is why I look for longer series. I love immersing myself in one world for a while.
And then I'm completely sad it's all over until I find a new series to read. :)

message 42: by Kiersten (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 291 comments I tend to read one series at a time, or sometimes two if I'm feeling feisty, however, at the moment, I seem to be in the same boat as you. Not because I like to start all kinds of series at once, but because I've been having a hard time getting into one series, or even book, in particular.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) No. I read a few in a series in a row, then I take a break with a couple standalones. Once I feel in the mood to re-enter the series world, I pick up where I left off.

message 44: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments It depends on how many books are in the series. Some series are only a few books and I can do them back to back. Others I split up a bit.