Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

DUPLICATE/ABANDONED BUDDY READS > Panic by Lauren Oliver → Start Date: June 17, 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments Please join Vicki and I for this buddy read.

So excited! :D

message 2: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments this one was good. I hope you guys like it!

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments Me too! Thanks Trisha! :D

message 4: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I may join depending on what is going on when this date rolls around!

message 5: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I am sure it's a winner! :) I have my own personal autographed copy and I loved meeting the author. She had a very good vocabulary and was very personable. I remember as she was answering questions that I thought this was going to be so good!!!! I a so excited to finally begin it!!

Thanks for doing all the leg work to make our thread, Kathy!! :)

message 6: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments That's awesome, Vicki!

A few book friends of mine were talking about copyright and such and it turns out that her Delirium trilogy and I believe this book weren't her idea. It was someone else's idea and she was given the idea to write it.

I am sure she is a wonderful person but I don't like the fact that the idea didn't come from her but someone else! :(

message 7: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments I Love this author. she wrote one of my favorite books :)
this one is slow and steady - her books are a lot of character development. I know reviews are mixed, but I really loved it :D

message 8: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Good to hear that, Trisha! I hope my message above doesn't get you upset.

message 9: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Jacquelyn, I'd agree if she somehow stole the ideas, but if she was suggested a story line and then wrote it herself then I'm okay with that. Even Shakespeare borrowed the idea of Romeo and Juliet from Arthur Brookes' The Tragicall Hystory of Romeus and Juliet. Lol

I just hope it's good!!

message 10: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Lol yeah, I don't think she stole it! I just like it more when the entire story: words and idea, come from the author.

I hope it is good as well! :D It is a wonderful concept, even though she didn't make it. LOL

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments Wow! I had no idea that the idea for Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver wasn't hers!

I still love it though! I agree with Vicki, if someone made a suggestion to her then I'm that. Editors and Publishers make suggestions all the time to authors. So yeah, I'm ok with that! :D

message 12: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I am okay with it too (I have nothing against her or whatnot) but I just like it more when the author came up with the idea too, you know?

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments Yeah, I know what you mean. Makes it more authentic, I guess. I heard that Meg Cabot wrote Insatiable (Insatiable, #1) by Meg Cabot because it was suggested to her by her publishers and my friend that told me about it didn't like it as much because of that and she loooovvveess Meg Cabot! lol!

So yeah, I know what you mean. :D

message 14: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Glad to know you understand what I am saying. lol!

message 15: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I understand where you're coming from, and I also think it's more amazing if the author came up with his/her own idea; however, give me that same idea and let ME "write" a book and see how amazing I'd be!!! Lol Get my drift?

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments Jacquelyn wrote: "Glad to know you understand what I am saying. lol!"

Yep! I do. lol!! :D

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments Vicki wrote: "I understand where you're coming from, and I also think it's more amazing if the author came up with his/her own idea; however, give me that same idea and let ME "write" a book and see how amazing ..."

I know right! Don't you think you could a MUCH better job than them? lol! :D

message 18: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Oh yeah, I'd create such an uproar of laughter that I'd surpass ALL their sales combined!! Lol

I'm a good "academic" writer but fall WAY short as a creative writer.

When I was in college we had to do an explication of René Descartes, a philosopher. I read his book over and over and just couldn't understand parts of it so I called my girlfriend and asked her if she understood it and she said yes. So I asked her if I could go to her house and work on it with her and she said of course and so we sat down and she explained all the parts that I didn't understand but that she did.

When we got our papers back I got an A on it and she got an F. She asked me how could I get an A while she got an F but it was her that understood it and explained it to me? She had to do a re-write on her paper. All I could say is that I write well, especially when I am relating academic information. I don't know why but some of us write better and some of us are more creative. God did not give me much of a creative part of the brain!!! LOL

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments Wow! That is crazy that she got such a bad grade when you got you aced it! lol!

Just shows how different our brains work differently I guess! :D

message 20: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Exactly! And she was SO angry with ME! LOL I told her that I couldn't help it if I wrote it more clearly or whatever it was that is the reason(s) I got and A and Charlotte got an F. She wasn't the only one in class who had to do a re-write.

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments Ok! I changed this to TBD so we need to figure out a new date for this one. :D

message 22: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments lol Gisbelle is gonna boot us out!

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments I know!! We are going to be banned from buddy reads! lol! :D

message 24: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Just let anyone try to break up these buddies!!! Not gonna happen! Lol

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments nope! Can't be done! lol!

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments Changed the date! :)

message 27: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Thanks Kathy! :)

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments You're welcome! :D

message 29: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Are you ready to start this one on Tuesday? I'm excited to read it!

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments Yes!!! So excited!
It's 408 pages with no chapter numbers. Instead we have days of the week and alternating POVs for Hether and Dodge.

Should we do a schedule? We can do 100 pages a day for 4 days or something else? lol! Let me know! :D

message 31: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments We're doing about 125 or so a day for The Forever Song. Do you think you can manage another 100 a day for this one? And you have the hard cover too, right?

message 32: by Vicki (last edited Jun 16, 2014 06:20PM) (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Here is the reading schedule if it works for you (I'll try to make it work! lol)

Tuesday: 1-106
Wednesday: 110-198
Thursday: 202-296
Friday: 301-408

message 33: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments I'm good with that!
I have a paperback.
Schedule looks good!
I'll start later after I get home from work. :D

message 34: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Yay!

message 35: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I should be ready to start this either tonight or tomorrow, depending on what all we do the rest of today. We're waiting for my daughter, Kim, to arrive with 3 more grandkids.

message 36: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments Ok! I will start soon too! Need to finish The Forever Song. :)

message 37: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I have 40 pages left but I'm also playing Triple Yahtzee with 3 of the girls. Lol

message 38: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments lol! Sounds like fun!
I had a full day running around shopping with my daughter and then we went to dinner at my sister's house and watched the lastest Jack Ryan movie! It was really good!

Have fun playing with your grandkids! :D

message 39: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Thanks! You had a SUPER busy day! Lol Sounds so fun though!

message 40: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments It was fun! And I also have some ideas to get her for her birthday that is coming up in August! She said she wants gift cards so she can shop but I have other ideas too! lol!

She said she wants to read The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas so I may get her that. :)

message 41: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Awe, that's so cool. Both my sisters AND my brother live in Florida. :(

message 42: by Kathy (last edited Jun 21, 2014 09:04PM) (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments Aw! She is the only family my husband or I have here. She is actually the reason we chose Missouri to transfer to because we wanted to be close to family. It was either here or Arlington because my youngest brother lives in Texas. So yeah, it's nice being close to her. :D

message 43: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments Are you reading this one next?

message 44: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I barely started it, so yes.

message 45: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Okay, I finished the reading for day one, pg. 1-106 and stopped at Saturday July 2.

So far I really like the story and the characters.

Heather: (view spoiler)

Nat: (view spoiler)

Dodge: (view spoiler)

Bishop: (view spoiler)

Jack Donahue: (view spoiler)

Thoughts of plot: (view spoiler)

message 46: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments I will stated on this tomorrow. I have had a headache going on day 2 now. So reading has been really really slow. :)

message 47: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Oh no! Sorry to hear that!!! Get some rest and feel better! :)

message 48: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments I will thanks! :)

message 49: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Kathy, I hope you are feeling better but I didn't see you on GR yesterday so I'm a wee bit concerned!

I finished with the two chapters that are July 8 and July 9 and OMG!

Those were two intense chapters! I have always had a fear of (view spoiler)

message 50: by Vicki (last edited Jul 02, 2014 01:46PM) (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I am now 56% finished. It's gotten really good! I am at Wednesday, July 27 but haven't read that part yet.

Nat: (view spoiler)

Dodge: (view spoiler)

Bishop: (view spoiler)

Krista: (view spoiler)

Anne: (view spoiler)

« previous 1