SLCLS Genre Study discussion

Sci Fi Subgenres > Cyber and its little punks

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 37 comments Cyberpunk is usually set in a rather bleak near-future and combines technology with some kind of breakdown in the social order- "High tech and low life"- and the term was first coined in 1980 by Bruce Bethke in his novel Cyberpunk. A couple of the classic examples of this subgenre are Neuromancer by William Gibson and Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.
There are a few spinoffs from cyberpunk, which each focus on a specific aspect of technology: Biopunk, which often looks at the consequences of human genetic engineering and other uses of biology(try Ribofunk by Paul Di Fillipo); nanopunk, which explores the uses of nanites and nanotechnology (Tech-Heaven by Linda Nagata is a prime example); and other emerging -punks, which often take place in different time periods, like stonepunk, clockpunk, mythpunk, dreampunk, etc. etc. etc...
So, what have you read? What would you recommend?

message 2: by Cara (new)

Cara | 49 comments A long time ago I read the book Friday by Robert Heinlein. The only place I can think to put it of the genres we discussed today is biopunk. It is about an "artificial person", a woman named Friday who was genetically engineered to be better than human. it is a book about prejudice as she tries to hide hat she is. I loved it. and I definitely recommend it

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathernovotny) Loved Snow Crash when it came out. My husband and I both re-read it last year or maybe the year before. It's interesting how it's both dated and still rocks.

When Neuromancer came out, I thought it was the best book ever. First book I know of to win the Hugo, Nebula, and Philip K Dick Award. However, I've never even considered rereading it.

What stands up to the reread for you?