Harry Potter discussion

Movies > Which casting surprised you the most?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Jul 23, 2009 01:49PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Of all the various characters throughout the movies, which casting of a role by a particular actor/actress surprised you the most?

For me I'd have to say Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange and Emma Thompson as Professor Trewlawney. Oh, and can't forget Ralph Fiennes as the adult Voldemort brought back to life. The cast is superb and the movies are very well cast. These are just the ones that surprised me the most.

message 2: by London (new)

London | 273 comments I love Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix! She is perfect for it!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Having only seen her in period dramas like "A Room with a View" it is very odd for me to see her as Bellatrix. Going from victorian virgin to having her boobs nearly falling out in Bellatrix's costume just really surprises me. I'm not saying she isn't a good actress, just a casting that surprised me.

message 4: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
I hardly ever watch movies, so I'd never heard of most of the actors until they were in HP.

I think Jessie is perfect for Lavender in the movie, but she dresses weird for the premiers and some interviews I've seen. I think she's pretty, but the clothing and glasses make her look strange sometimes.

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) Jessie was exactly how I imagined Lavender to be. The surprise for me was clear back in #4 with the casting of Clemence Poesy who played Fleur Delacour. While I had no problem with her acting, she just was not as gorgeous as the book made her out to be. She looked like the average girl-next-door - not like a Veela with the Veela qualities.

message 6: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

I don't mind Jessie's lines that much. I've always kind of imagined her like that. After all, she does give Ron that horrible "My Sweetheart" necklace.

I agree with Brenda about Poesy, too. I think they could have tried to make her look more beautiful at least, but I don't know.

message 7: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I think Slughorn didn't fit what I imagined.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments Slughorn wasn't how I imagined, either. But I still really like how he played him.

I feel the same way about HBC as Bellatrix and Evanna Lynch as Luna.

message 9: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Jul 27, 2009 06:50PM) (new)

Yeah. The same is true for me with Slughorn and Bellatrix, but Evanna Lynch is exactly how I picture Luna.

message 10: by Annalisa (last edited Jul 27, 2009 10:50PM) (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Nobody has really surprised me. The only casting I've been disappointed with (besides Gambon as Dumbledore) is Poesy as Fleur. And it wasn't so much her as much as they didn't do any work to make her appearance ethereal, like make her hair white and sparkly. Speaking of good looking, Kenneth Branagh is not as good looking as he once was, but I liked him as Lockhart. Slughorn isn't like the book Slughorn, but I like the movie Slughorn too. And Helena Bonham Carter has been in some pretty racy and off-the-wall stuff. If she has been cast 15 years ago I would have been surprised too, but since then she has had a long resume and makes the perfect Bellatrix. A good actress can play both well like she has. Most of the casting has been spot on: Luna, Mad-Eye, Ron, McGonagall, Hagrid, Pettigrew, Vernon especially. I love Rickman as Snape but he's not pointy and lanky like the book character. I also love Oldman as Sirius, Thewlis as Lupin, Richardson as Skeeter, Thompson as Tewlawney, Felton as Draco, Harris as Dumbledore, I could go on.

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) mee tooo!!! poesy didnt seem pretty enough!
but that's why i like the HP movies: i like most of the cast, and who they chose. now, if you were to join me on the PERCY JACKSON boards or the TWILIGHT boards, that's not the case...

message 12: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments SAME!

message 13: by Rutvi (new)

Rutvi  (rutviravani) Annalisa, I also think that Lockhart was a little to old and not as handsome as i imagined him to be but his acting was superb!!!!

message 14: by Rutvi (new)

Rutvi  (rutviravani) Fleur was another dissapointment. I really thought she could be prettier.

message 15: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments Alliyah wrote: "Annalisa, I also think that Lockhart was a little to old and not as handsome as i imagined him to be but his acting was superb!!!!"

Hmmmmm I agree

message 16: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments Alliyah wrote: "Fleur was another dissapointment. I really thought she could be prettier. "

She wasn't the BEST actress

message 17: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

I definitely agree about the prettier part.

message 18: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments i thought she would be SUPER pretty! I hope they make her look better some how in the 7th when she gets married!

message 19: by Shirin (new)

Shirin (shirin2009) | 245 comments yeah.i'd imagines Fleur very beautiful in my mind.but she wasn't pretty.and Slughorn...well,he played so well but the actor had no similarities with the Slughorn wich was described in the book.

message 20: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Amelia, I'm still reading Percy Jackson so I haven't checked out the movie information yet to see who plays whom. As far as Twilight goes though... Pattinson as Edward? Jasper and Rosalie are bad too. But haven't we heard enough about Twilight? :)
Alliyah, if you ever get a change to see Kenneth Branaugh in any of his movies from the '90s, I would recommend it.
Moaning Myrtle, I highly doubt there will be a Bill/Fleur wedding in the movie since they've taken them out of the movies. I'm rooting for a Tonks/Lupin wedding instead, but I doubt that too. They could have made Fleur pretty, but since they took out the veelas, they didn't.

message 21: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Aug 28, 2009 04:30PM) (new)

David Heyman has said Bill and Fleur's wedding will be in DH. This is from SnitchSeeker (http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-pot...

SS: Since Deathly Hallows is the first time we see Bill Weasley, how will he be introduced?

Heyman: Well, we know it's his wedding. So, he's introduced at his wedding and we express it's Bill and Fleur's wedding so you know it's Bill Weasley and it's at the Weasley house. So you know pretty much who he is when you see him and Fleur. It's pretty clear in the end.

SS: Has he been attacked by a werewolf?

Heyman: Yes he has.

SS: And how's that explained, or is it?

Heyman: It's understood.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments What?! It's going to seem so random! I'm happy that they're leaving it in and all, but the people who don't read the books are going to have no clue what's going on!

message 23: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Aug 28, 2009 04:41PM) (new)

I know. I hope when Heyman says "It's understood" that Bill has been attacked by a werewolf that it really is understood. Personally, I prefer this to a Lupin/Tonks wedding, but movie-wise, it may have made more sense if it were their wedding instead because both of their characters have been developed more.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments They didn't really even say that Greyback *was* a werewolf in the films!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments And I think that it would've been great if they had a Lupin/Tonks wedding, but I like the way we find out in the books better.

message 26: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Aug 28, 2009 05:06PM) (new)

Yeah - Greyback only had one line in HBP, and even then, the camera was focusing on Harry. (I still love the movie, though :D)

message 27: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) I'm glad the wedding is in there, but I highly doubt it will make sense. Nobody will get that Bill was attacked by Greyback unless they have a moment between Greyback and Bill and even then it will probably be subtle. It'll be like the Marauder's map where nobody but the readers will get that it was the James and his friends.

message 28: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments nicely said!

message 29: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments Oh yeah! I forgot about Bill! DUH!

message 30: by Gabi (new)

Gabi (gabs187) | 5 comments interesting but that will suck. oh well can't get these screen play writers/producers/directors to listen to the people who have read the damn books and know that they are going to be upset. oh well anywayz...gettin off topic lol ya i like how everyone was cast but Fleur. they should have got a top model to play her like Adrianna Lima what do you think people??!!

message 31: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments omg yes! Someone who looks 'good'

message 32: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Sep 19, 2009 09:32PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) This is why it bugs me that the Hogwarts Battle, Part 1 was left out of the last film. Stuff like Bill getting hurt by Greyback has to be told, for book 7 to make sense. Besides, the movie looked so stupid that they (Deatheaters) could just kill Dumbledore, blow up parts of Hogwarts (like the main hall) and waltz on down the grounds without waking anyone and nobody follows them but Harry.

message 33: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments I know! HeLLO!??! Where is the fighting!?!?!?

message 34: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Briansgirl "Master Book Sale Huntress" wrote: "This is why it bugs me that the Hogwarts Battle, Part 1 was left out of the last film. Stuff like Bill getting hurt by Greyback has to be told, for book 7 to make sense. Besides, the movie looked s..." The film makers have decided to keep certain aspects out of the movies, such as Bill, and Lupin and Tonks. So I wonder what they're going to do now that everything comes together in the 7th movie

message 35: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay I was surprised when I found out that Rufus Scrimgeor will be played by "Davy Jones", but it's fitting

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I have no idea how they're going to do the final movie Lindsay but they are leaving out what I consider key plot points so it's going to be interesting how they tie it all up.

Havn't heard Davy Jones was cast. Interesting. lol

message 37: by Talia (new)

Talia | 47 comments random fact..... my mom works with helena boham carter's cousin

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

That is awesome.

message 39: by Talia (new)

Talia | 47 comments I know!!! I love lupin and the guy who plays him (although he has short hair)

message 40: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Lupin just gets boring in the 6th one, and then Tonks loves him! I wonder how long that had been going on.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I never liked Tonks and Lupin together, and i guess the casting that suprised me was the guy who plays wormtail i guess i expected someone small weak and mousey. Not the fat dirty man he was in the movie.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Lupin is pretty cool even though Sirius is still my favorite adult.

message 43: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (bsundeen) | 2 comments It was implied in the Half-Blood Prince movie that Lupin and Tonks were already a couple. The filmmakers did not have her moping, etc. The reason the battle did not appear (and the fire at the Burrow did), is that they did not want two battles in the series. Dumbledore's funeral was skipped b/c of cost. Having every past character appear would have been very expensive. I too hope that the Deathly Hallows movies are good. Even in HBP, having read the book is crucial to understanding what was happening in the movie.

message 44: by Talia (new)

Talia | 47 comments yeah, what was up with the fire at the burrow? and I hope the dh movies are good too.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Same here.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

That would be better for them probably. More space.

message 47: by Rutvi (new)

Rutvi  (rutviravani) Bellatrix's actress was amazing her hair is soooo cool!!
AND NOW FOR THE BEST ACTOR IN THE WHOLE MOVIE
(drumrolll).............
two words people,

Tom Felton.

message 48: by Rutvi (new)

Rutvi  (rutviravani) the bathroom scene was amazing!!

message 49: by Rutvi (new)

Rutvi  (rutviravani) Alan Rickman is second best!!!!!!!!!!!

message 50: by Abi (new)

Abi Lou | 184 comments Oh yeah. I agree with everything you just said. AMEN!!! (I screamed in the bathroom scene hehe)

« previous 1