Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > May 2014 Magic Noir Urban Fantasy Group Read: Storm Front by Jim Butcher *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4637 comments Mod
Storm Front is our May group read. Hope you can join the discussion!

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4637 comments Mod
I won't have time to do a reread, but I am getting the graphic novel The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 1: The Gathering Storm from my library, so I can better participate in the discussion.

message 3: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I'm reading this right now. I hope to discuss with everyone.

Happy reading!!!

message 4: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt Just started my reread.

message 5: by Monica (new)

Monica I've finally tucked the kids in and and long as there are no call outs I'll be snuggling up with a hot chocolate and star reading this one.

message 6: by Rizwan (new)

Rizwan | 274 comments I really liked it (although the later ones are all better)... Looking forward to know everyone's opinion :)

message 7: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 362 comments I went back to see if I wrote a review when I read this. I did. Kind of. It read in its entirety:

when you can be the hero wearing sweatpants and cowboy boots that's bad ass.

Sometimes I wonder what I'm thinking when I write my so called review

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) wrote: "I won't have time to do a reread, but I am getting the graphic novel The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 1: The Gathering Storm from my library, so I can better participate in t..."

Picked up both Part I and II, so I'm good to go.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Rizwan wrote: "I really liked it (although the later ones are all better)... Looking forward to know everyone's opinion :)"

I've read the first four books, and collected almost all of them so far.

message 10: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt Travis of NNY wrote: "I went back to see if I wrote a review when I read this. I did. Kind of. It read in its entirety:

Sometimes I wonder ..."

That made me laugh, thanks Travis. Enjoying the reread so far, kind of surprising how much I had forgotten.

message 11: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Travis of NNY wrote: "I went back to see if I wrote a review when I read this. I did. Kind of. It read in its entirety:

Sometimes I wonder ..."

Sometimes all you need in a review is one sentence. Lol

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (dward526) I really enjoy the Dresden files, although I have only read the first three books. Urban Fantasy done my way.

message 13: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I finished both volumes of the graphic novels for Storm Front and thumbs up. I'd recommend them to readers who enjoy the series.

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

We'll take a different tactic for the discussion. The participants ask each other questions about Storm Front.

message 15: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt So Danielle, how did the GN compare to the book?

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited May 23, 2014 10:49AM) (new)

I think it was a nice visualization of the prose novel. It was divided into two volumes and pretty meaty as a result. It's been a while since I read the book, so I might have missed a few finer points. But from what I recall, it was pretty faithful.

I wrote reviews, and unfortunately,they are fairly similar since I failed to write them soon enough after I read them last week.

Volume 1: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Volume 2: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Ctgt, I see you only gave it three stars. What didn't you like about the book?

message 18: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt I wouldn't say I didn't like it but it didn't "wow" me either. It may have been all the hype surrounding the series and my expectations. I thought it was a pretty decent set up book and the books do get stronger as you move through. I did like the idea of Bob and what he can offer to Dresden as a different type of sidekick. I did like the fact that the supernatural aspects of this world are more out in the open, not everyone is buying into the magic part but it's not like some of these super secret groups that are fighting the supernatural without any kind of public awareness.

I've read the first four or five books but have not gone back in over a year, just didn't feel compelled to continue. How many have you read, Danielle?

message 19: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1949 comments Mod
Ctgt wrote: "I wouldn't say I didn't like it but it didn't "wow" me either. It may have been all the hype surrounding the series and my expectations. I thought it was a pretty decent set up book and the books d..."

I gave it 3 stars as well Ctgt. It's been several years since I read it, but I agree with you. I liked it but was not "wowed" by it, and didn't have any desire to read more at the time. I have heard however, that they do get better later in the series, so I might have to check them out again sometime. I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts about it.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 778 comments I gave it 4 stars when I read it a few years ago. I liked the next few books well enough, but dropped the series when the 6th book had so many horrible editing errors in it. I have more of the books & haven't gotten rid of them. My son-in-law is a real fan & tells me they pick up again.

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

@Ctgt: I see what you mean. I have read through the first four books in the series. I think the following books are better.

message 22: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I read Storm Front a few years ago and liked it, just wasn't thrilled and I gave it 3 stars. Rereading it again this month I found I enjoyed it a lot more giving it 4 stars. I also decided to continue reading the series. After reading the second book in the series I went to see what the next book was when I realized I had purchased the next 7 books in the series and never read them. My point in all this is, I'm up to book 6 in the series and I'm loving it. They do get better as the series progresses.

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Next up is Death Masks for me in the series.