.:.Book Bodega.:. discussion

This is Where I Leave You
This topic is about This is Where I Leave You
Book Discussions > Comment As You Read | This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lilybeth (_li_) | 335 comments Mod
Leave your thoughts about This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper as you are reading. Just make sure to say which chapter & page you are on so that we can avoid spoilers.

Kai Hunter | 192 comments Chapter 35 pg 356

I read the first two pages of this one and firmly decided that I was not going to like it and probably wasn't going to read it. I wasn't even sure I was ready to read a story about the passing of someone's Dad so close to the passing of my own Dad. By the 10th page I was hooked and I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow. (I would probably have finished it today except today is my son's 20th birthday and in addition to doing all the family birthday stuff, he wants me to go out with him and his friends tonight. OK, so yes I'm bragging. Though he's already telling me that next year I have to take him out for wings and beer. Ok, back to the book...) It seems that Judd's family is like just about every other family to some degree. They just excel at taking dysfunction due to lack of communication to a new level. At least they're all on the same playing field. Being the baby of the family, I can't help but compare myself to Phillip. He's a far better liar than I am. But I've selfishly hurt people with things I've said without realizing I was saying something wrong until someone else pointed it out to me. (I'm getting better about that!) I'm also embarrassed to admit that I am with it enough to understand Wendy's walk of shame while still naive enough to totally miss Linda's until the 2nd time when it's made obvious. I guess that at this point in my life I am truly happy to read about other families' dysfunctions and while it's raw, it's also a comfort to "hear" others saying they miss their Dad. I also now have the urge to go visit my Mom just to go through Dad's clothes to see if he left any little "gifts" behind, but honestly I don't think he did and if he had, my sister probably would have found it/them already. Good choice for May!

Kai Hunter | 192 comments Finished

It ended well with nothing finished but with a feeling of rightness in an uncontrollable world. I think I'm going to try my hand at the study questions.

Page 51
Chapter 6

Is this book supposed to be funny? I find the family's comments and reactions crazy which then make me laugh at the absurdity.
Cole's potty just went flying in the dining room. Cracked me up!

Really enjoying the book so far.

message 5: by Lilybeth (last edited May 16, 2014 09:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished the book. I really enjoyed it.
So honest and funny.
I would have liked a better ending but I also see why the author chose to end it that way.

Kai - I didn't catch the Linda thing until the 2nd time around either.
:)

message 6: by Mia (new)

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Got tired of waiting so bought it for Kindle with some store credit I had! Just started it and read the first chapter. :-)

message 7: by Mia (new)

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments I'm on page 213 - just learning more about the relationship between Judd and Paul. Enjoying it, although, MAN I wouldn't want to be in this family!

message 8: by Mia (new)

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Finished! Really enjoyed the family dynamics and that they didnt end it too neatly.