Food & Fiction discussion

General > Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Perrino | 60 comments Mod
Welcome to the Cookstr Food and Fiction group! Cookstr, the world's #1 collection of cookbook recipes available online, is happy to present a new group for Goodreads members where you can share your passions…

The first book featured in The Cookstr Food & Fiction group is THE GLASS KITCHEN from bestselling author Linda Francis Lee. Filled with wonderful recipes sprinkled throughout and a heartwarming story about sisters, love, and finding yourself, you will devour this novel.

Get a taste of THE GLASS KITCHEN when you join the Cookstr Food & Fiction group, where you can enter for a chance to win books, recipe cards, and much more!

message 2: by Angelica (new)

Angelica Dimeo | 1 comments Hi I am Angelica I live in the USA
I love being outdoors when the weather permits.
I love smoothies, coffee yum :D

message 3: by Beth (last edited May 06, 2014 09:43AM) (new)

Beth Hi. I am in the USA and I love to read anything that has to do with food or eating. I have a list of books I have read or plan to read on the subject. I have quite a collection. I am happy this group is here. :)

Linda Francis Lee (lindafrancislee) | 20 comments Hello! I am so excited about this group! I can't wait to talk about food and books. Deidre, I am originally from Texas and we grilled all the time. It's one of the things I miss now that we live in NYC. That, and driving! Angelica, I have a cup of coffee sitting right here. What would I do without coffee?! Beth, I can't wait to hear about your list of books! xox, Linda
Linda Francis Lee - The Glass Kitchen

message 5: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 7 comments Hi, I'm in Staten Island, NY. I love when books include food so vividly written that it practically becomes a charcter in the story. Ms. Lee, I'm looking forward to reading your book! If you participate in any local NYC events, I'd be there :-)

Linda Francis Lee (lindafrancislee) | 20 comments Cassandra, Thank you! And I will definitely let you know if there are events! xox

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna Harris (donnasquaw) | 16 comments Hi! I here in the Midwest, IL USA! I love to grill out when I can. I love looking through cookbooks marking what I want to try. I look at all different kinds of food but still my favorite is Tacos! I could eat Tacos everyday.
Linda Francis Lee, I haven't read any of books, but I'm going to try to fix that. I'm disabled on a low fixed income and I have to save up to buy books that I want. I'm going to add your name on my list when I can go and buy some books.
I'm so glad that I found this page, looking forward to get to know everyone. Thanks!!

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Hi, clicked on the banner ad. I'm Andrea (aka rokinrev), one of the last grads of Miss (Fannie) Farmer's Cooking School(1977), an early retiree from ordained ministry due to disability, and an avid reader across genre. Married, published poet, 3 Masters, a budding fiber artist, I'll try anything once.

As I get older, I'm becoming more discerning in my reading life. After being appalled after reading 50 Shades of (Blech),[ and I know people loved it] I simply don't bother because there are so many other books out there.

If there was only 1 book: The Odyssey of Homer. If there was only one texture: velvet. If there was only 1food: pickles!....and ice cream ;)...scent: cinnamon or lavender or the back if my spouse's neck.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Hi! I'm Rebecca from Rochester NY. I love books of all kinds. There's nothing better than relaxing with a good book and a plate of good food.
I've even taken a book to a restaurant before.

message 10: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth Furlong | 1 comments Hello! My name is Elisabeth and I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. Two of my all-time favorite things are cooking and reading. I love to experiment with new recipes and cook for my family. :) I am currently reading "Cleaving" by Julie Powell.

message 11: by Donna (new)

Donna Harris (donnasquaw) | 16 comments Hi! Welcome all new comers!!

message 12: by Sandrine (new)

Sandrine | 1 comments Bonjour! I am Sandrine, a french frog living in Cyprus. Beautiful food delights my camera (I enjoy food photography) and books nourish my mind! Those days, Tarte Tatin and Macarons au chocolate are my favorites. I have a sweet tooth.
I am very happy I joined this group and look forward to discussions around those topics.

message 13: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Haddon | 10 comments Hi, I'm Brenda, the US in Virginia. I took up cooking to over my divorce almost 8 years ago, now it and reading are my 2 favorites as well. I am also so happy to meet so many of you from NYC as it is my favorite city. I wish I could visit more often.

message 14: by Jess G (new)

Jess G (rattlethewalls) | 1 comments Hello everyone! My name is Jessica and I'm from NYC. I love books and food so I also love books about food. I'm glad to meet everyone :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi I'm Rei, currently living in NY (not the Big Apple unfortunately) and food and books are my life. I love baking and trying out new recipes.

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Rei wrote: "Hi I'm Rei, currently living in NY (not the Big Apple unfortunately) and food and books are my life. I love baking and trying out new recipes."

Hey Rei...welcome. I am in Syracuse....

message 17: by Armand (last edited May 21, 2014 01:34PM) (new)

Armand Chauvel (armandchauvel) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Armand, I'm French and I live in Spain. I am a vegetarian kind of gourmet and, as I have some knowledge of the restaurant's business (from a former job), I have written a novel set in a vegetarian restaurant in Britanny. My novel, The Green and The Red, published by Ashland Creek Press, is full of nice recipes and try to show that gastronomy without fish an meat can be as good as the usual one. The Green and The Red, translated from the french by Elisabeth Lyman, is also a romantic comedy, the story of two people with a mutual attraction who don't see eye to eye when it comes to food. I think (hope) you could enjoy it and am very glad to have joined this group.

The Green and the Red by Armand Chauvel ]

message 18: by Bas (new)

Bas | 8 comments Hi, I'm Linda. I live in South Carolina now, but I spent most of my life in NY/New England. It's probably due to my Italian heritage that I think about food all the time. I was a long-time subscriber to Gourmet magazine and had an archive dating back to the early seventies. It just about broke my heart when we carted them all to the dump before we moved. I also love to "read" cookbooks. I worry that many modern cooks seem to prefer to look up recipes on the Internet. I think some of the enjoyment of finding a recipe is lost that way because you are already limiting your search...there is something to be said for serendipity. I think my favorite food-related fiction book is Like Water for Chocolate. I'm happy to have found this group and look forward to hearing about some intriguing new titles...

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Andrea wrote: "Rei wrote: "Hi I'm Rei, currently living in NY (not the Big Apple unfortunately) and food and books are my life. I love baking and trying out new recipes."

Hey Rei...welcome. I am in Syracuse...."

pssst I'm in Albany

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris I don't know how I missed this page, I jumped right into talking about food books! My name is Chris, I live in Vermont, I'm a writer and food blogger. My website, myvermontkitchen.net, focuses on eating with the seasons. I'm also a member of Cooking Light's "Blogger's Connection." Some of my favorite food writers are Ruth Reichl, Laurie Colwin, Mark Bittman, Gesine Bullock-Prado, and of course, the queen of them all, Julia Child. I tend to read on the food memoir/non-fiction side of food writing as opposed to food in fiction, although I do like Diane Mott Davidson's mysteries for a quick and fun read!

message 21: by Lily (new)

Lily | 1 comments Hi everyone.

I am currently creating an adult ladies only group and wondered if anyone was interested in being a moderator and helping set up the group.

I have a few ideas about the group but could really use a hand getting it started and thinking of some great ideas.

Please PM me if you are interested :)

message 22: by Will (last edited May 24, 2014 06:55AM) (new)

Will Schwalbe | 11 comments Chris wrote: "I don't know how I missed this page, I jumped right into talking about food books! My name is Chris, I live in Vermont, I'm a writer and food blogger. My website, myvermontkitchen.net, focuses on e..."

So happy you've joined the page and group, Chris! (FYI for all, I met Chris at a wonderful event called Booktopia VT). And so excited to see all the great contributions to read all these great contributions to the discussion from all. It's so great to have contributions coming from all over -- including Spain and Cyprus, Staten Island and Albany....

I would love to know more titles in translation (into English) that involve food.

message 23: by Andrea (last edited May 24, 2014 09:03AM) (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Chris wrote: "I don't know how I missed this page, I jumped right into talking about food books! My name is Chris, I live in Vermont, I'm a writer and food blogger. My website, myvermontkitchen.net, focuses on e..."

I am headed out to check your site Chris, and have subscribed

message 24: by Ilene (new)

Ilene (ilene-rachel) | 3 comments Hello all! I'm Ilene-Rachel, from Long Island, NY (originally from Brooklyn, NY). I love reading, own "too many" cookbooks (according to my husband), and particularly enjoy it when a book has food as a big part of it (of course, being a chocoholic, if there's chocolate mentioned that's a plus LOL).

message 25: by Sergei (new)

Sergei Beltyukov (sbeltyukov) | 1 comments Hello,I am Sergei, originally from Vladivostok, Russia, but now i call Los Angeles home, where I live with my better half and a cat. I graduated with a degree in management but during my time in university, I fell wildly in love with the European history and the history of food.
So you can tell that I am an amateur cook and a historian, and a full-time entrepreneur.

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris Andrea wrote: "Chris wrote: "I don't know how I missed this page, I jumped right into talking about food books! My name is Chris, I live in Vermont, I'm a writer and food blogger. My website, myvermontkitchen.net..."

Thank you, Andrea! I hope you enjoy it! :-)
Chris

message 27: by Swanangel15's (new)

Swanangel15's Book Review (swanangelisaboss) | 2 comments Hello, I'm Swanangel15 and I read and fell in love with The Glass Kitchen by Linda Francis Lee. It was awesome