Start by marking “The Green and the Red” as Want to Read:
The Green and the Red

The Green and the Red

Léa is the idealistic owner and chef of La Dame Verte, a vegetarian restaurant struggling in a small French town in Brittany. Mathieu is the carnivorous marketing director of the town’s biggest pork producer, which is trying to put Léa out of business to take over the restaurant’s prime real estate.

When Léa and Mathieu first cross paths, it is under false pretenses—
Published May 1st 2014 by Ashland Creek Press (first published April 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Green and the Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green and the Red

Start your review of The Green and the Red
Sherry
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-this-year
Just finished reading The Green and the Red, a charming Eco lit novel about a vegetarian chef and owner of a struggling vegetarian restaurant and a carnivorous marketing director of the town's biggest pork producer. Animal rights, ethical consumerism, romance, and a touch of humor combine to make this novel an entertaining and enlightening read.
Shel
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vegan, ecolit
The world needs more romantic comedies and more books with vegetarian protagonists this novel responds delightfully. Add this to your summer reading list for the beach, plane or train. It's a fun, quick read. And set in the small French town of Rennes, it's perfect for the literary traveler.

Written in a cinematic style, it's reminiscent of the Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan movie You've Got Mail — an unlikely romance between a small business owner and the corporate executive trying to put her out of
Aly Abell
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Once I started reading The Green and the Red by Armand Chauvel, I couldn’t stop. I ended up finishing it the same day I started! From the description I was expecting it might be very aggressive about the message of the benefits of vegetarian eating. There is no question of where the author stands on the subject of vegetarianism, but the story is told in a funny and sweet narrative, with sharp barbs directed at both the vegetarians and meat-eaters.

In places the language comes across as a bit
Virginia Fox
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Green & the Red is a great primer for people who are discovering a new approach to healthy dietary choices, which will ultimately lead to a better planet for us all!
This is a serious subject that was tackled very well by Armand Chauvel, in the sense that he was able to highlight the main stereotypes and cultural habits between vegetarians and carnivores in a light and humorous way, which was not lost in the superbly crafted translation by Elisabeth Lyman.
It is a pleasant and easy read.
Sally Bennett
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
As an ethical vegan, it's no surprise that I found the omnivores in this book to be disgusting and narcissistic. The vegetarians in the book displayed varying degrees of tolerance with their own diet choices as well as those of the omnivores. The author does a good job of covering the various stereotypes from each viewpoint, as well as enlightening the reader on some little-known truths of what's really in our food.

It's written as a comedy, a romantic one, and really fast-forwards in that
Dynise
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
A delightfully funny, entertaining read into which more poignant messages about animal rights & the environment are gently & deftly interwoven. I think TG&TR would make a fabulous rom-com film; I found myself LOL-ing several times as Chauvel poked fun equally and eloquently at obnoxious vegheads & uninformed omnivores alike. This novel will challenge your notion of tolerance and stereotypes -- about both humans & animals-- wherever you may fall in that spectrum.
Juliet
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
You don't have to be a vegetarian to enjoy The Green and the Red. Anyone who is concerned by environmental issues, animal welfare and compassion in farming will find food for thought in this charming novel which exposes the excesses of both extremes of the dietary spectrum. In addition to this, it is quite simply a delightful and refreshing read.
Fabyen
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's a very interesting combination of entertainment and insightfulness. Armand Chauvel manages to speak up for deep values meanwhile never loses his sense of humour. I would even consider this novel groundbreaking as this must be one of the first fictions written in French that defends or promotes the veggie lifestyle. And all this in the form of a charming and funny love story.
Jocelyn
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Three and a half stars. A light and entertaining novella, with an informative undercurrent. I liked the subtle humour but felt the characterization left something to be desired. Lovely descriptions of delicious vegetarian dishes, made me almost wish the author had included some recipes.
Elizabeth
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great find for fun and plant based argument material!

I joined the Instagram group @veganbookclub and this was my first read. It’s a brilliant find if you’re in need of some punchy vege facts to back up any conversational arguments you may find yourself confronted with! Fab ending too!!
Clair
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it
A short, entertaining Sunday read.
Tessa
Feb 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, romance
Loved the novel's premise - it's like You've Got Mail, vegetarian style - but I wasn't a fan of the execution. Throughout the story, I felt like I was missing something: the reason for these outrageous stereotypes of veg people, the reason why I should at any point root for Mathieu (and as a result his relationship with Léa)...I loved the animal rights aspect of the story, as well as reading about the trials of running a veg restaurant. But I think the story needed more: more interactions ...more
Ginny
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A novel about a vegetarian and her clashes with a meat eater.
Noelle
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this for the VSDC book club. Cute idea, but this little novel was extremely corny and predictable. The motive to get readers to go veg is not veiled in any artistic way, but repeatedly hits you over the head. For something similar, but better written, check out the memoir 'Eating Animals' by Jonathan Safran Foer.
Peacegal
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars-- I never thought I'd rate a romance novel so highly, but this book was truly enjoyable, and thankfully, was more than just a love story.

The only thing that disappointed me about THE GREEN AND THE RED was that at one point, the staunchly vegetarian restaurant owner breaks her commitment to sample foie gras, of all things, to make sure that her "faux gras" is a proper replica of the bird-based stuff. This is completely out of character, and doesn't make any sense in the story,
Suzanne
Aug 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Worst book I've read in years, if not ever. Only reason I finished it was because it was short and it was my book club's selection. Boring, too simple, and weak characters. Full of food cliches.
Keith
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Entertaining, but FAR too many clichés and easy stereotypes, and SUCH A Hollywood happy ending. The translation was great though ;-)
Trisha
Sep 27, 2015
Dianne
rated it did not like it
Mar 29, 2015
Vegan Book Club: The Green and the Red by Armand Chauvel 5 4 Feb 10, 2020 10:26AM

• Graines de bandits
  • La redoutable veuve Mozart
  • How to Treat Magical Beasts: Mine and Master’s Medical Journal, Vol. 3
  • Thérèse Desqueyroux
  • Mangoustan
  • Sauveur & Fils Saison 5
  • The Shrunken Head (The Curiosity House, #1)
  • Doktor Ox'un Deneyi
  • R.O.S.E. L'embaumeur de Montmartre
  • Du domaine des murmures
  • La saga des marquises
  • The Ghostly Rental
  • My Everything
  • A Trail Through Time (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #4)
  • Quand nos souvenirs viendront danser
  • Le Bal des folles
  • Chasseurs de monstres (Lothaire Flammes #1)
I am a French journalist and correspondent for Spain and Portugal. Born in France to an extended family of Burgundian winemakers, I spent a large part of my childhood in Senegal and Brazil due to my father's work as a tropical agronomist. I studied journalism in Paris before taking work in Portugal and later in Spain. Although my journalistic focus is the economy and the business world, I am also ...more