Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Christian Fiction Group Reads > Nominate June's Group Read!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorie (last edited May 15, 2014 03:55AM) (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
For June 2014, the theme is Prairie Life.

Rules:
1. Nominations are open until the 14th of the month. Rachel will let us know which book has "won" on the 15th.
2. Books must be Christian fiction, or "clean" fiction to be eligible for this read.
3. Books are chosen using Random.org to make it completely fair.
4. One nomination per person. If two people nominate the same book, each person's vote counts. So the book will feature twice in the list to give each vote an equal chance.
5. Only nominate books that are first in a series unless we have read the previous book in the series. Here is a list of the books we have read: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Nominations so far:
1. The Calling of Emily Evans by Janette Oke (Natalie)
2. Westward Hearts by Melody Carlson (Diane U)
3. The Anonymous Bride by Vickie McDonough
4. Schoolhouse Brides: Teachers of Yesteryear Fulfill Dreams of Love in Four Novellas by Wanda E. Brunstetter et al (Lorie)
5. Love Comes Softly by Janette Oke(Brittany)
6.Schoolhouse Brides: Teachers of Yesteryear Fulfill Dreams of Love in Four Novellas by Wanda E. Brunstetter et al (Barbara Ann)

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 1075 comments I will nominate The Calling of Emily Evans (Women of the West, #1) by Janette Oke by Janette Oke.

message 3: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I would like to nominate:

Westward Hearts by Melody Carlson

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand I'd like to nominate The Anonymous Bride by Vickie McDonough.

message 5: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 1075 comments @Lorie: Does the "Prairie Life" theme for next month's group read entail any Christian, Western Romance or does it have to take place on a prairie?

message 6: by Lorie (last edited May 04, 2014 11:45AM) (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
@ Natalie, I don't really know. We do have two categories. One is Western and one is Prairie Life. So I am assuming it needs to be a story that mostly takes place on the prairie? Rachel, Diane, Brittany do you want to chime in on this?

message 8: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 340 comments Mod
Lorie, I think I agree with you. It might be a little harder to narrow down a choice for prairie life, but I think that adds to the challenge and fun of it. :)

message 9: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 340 comments Mod
That said, I'm going to try one more time with Love Comes Softly by Janette Oke.

message 10: by Rachel (last edited May 05, 2014 01:58AM) (new)

Rachel Brand I think it's hard to distinguish between Western and Prairie novels! I was scouring my shelves trying to figure out which category each of them dropped into. I think all of the nominations so far look sufficiently Prairie-ish. Thoughts from the other mods?

message 11: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I would think that Prairie Life takes place on a prairie or it's the story of a family traveling to a new part of the country. Some examples of prairie life would be like My Father's World, Love Comes Softly or Little House on the Prairie. There is a fine line between western and prairie life but using these books as a reference, you can now see the difference (hopefully)!

message 12: by Barbara (last edited May 05, 2014 04:16PM) (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1429 comments Mod
Lorie wrote: "I am nominating Schoolhouse Brides: Teachers of Yesteryear Fulfill Dreams of Love in Four Novellas"

I will nominate this one too. It's been on my shelf for far too long. Should I worry about the June book when I haven't read the April book yet?

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand And according to Random.org, next month's read will be...

#2 Westward Hearts by Melody Carlson!

Thanks for nominating it, Diane! :)

message 14: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 1075 comments I think I might at least have a sample on the Kindle.