Start by marking “Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1)

Love Comes Softly

(Love Comes Softly #1)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  36,343 ratings  ·  1,297 reviews
Marty and Clem set out for the pioneer West full of hopes and dreams. They would stake a claim of their own on the new frontier, and build a home for themselves and their family.

But just after they'd arrived and Clem had chosen the perfect setting for their new home, an accident took his life...leaving Marty alone and pregnant. Then, on the day of his funeral, Clark Davis
Published 2003 by Bethany House (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Love Comes Softly, please sign up.
Kaylin Kreikemeier There are similarities, but it is very different then the film. The overall plot is the same though.
Sarah Brazytis It would be best, to properly understand the situation. However, I believe most of the books have synopsis's built in, so it might work fine. The firs…moreIt would be best, to properly understand the situation. However, I believe most of the books have synopsis's built in, so it might work fine. The first book is the best! (less)

·  36,343 ratings  ·  1,297 reviews

Start your review of Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1)
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Christian romance.
Recommended to UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish by: Megan, my daughter.
I love this entire series of books.

Janette Oke is such a wonderful author. The characters have flaws, but they always, always try to do the right thing. The stories are sweet, real, and always teach a valuable lesson.

If you're looking for a "feel good" Christian romance that doesn't contain any explicit sexual content, then I'd strongly encourage you to give these stories a try.
Sarah Grace Grzy
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 15+ for romance
Well, that ended up being better than I thought.

Overall, I really enjoyed the story. It was very sweet and well-paced. I can't say I'm a huge fan of Oke's writing style. (Please nobody hit me.) It's very stripped down, and doesn't really delve much into the characters emotions. Very prosey. I prefer something with a little more "life" to it. And the dialogue . . . I wanted to hit myself over the head with the book a few times because of it. Each character has a very thick backwoods accent, and
Elaina
~4.5 stars~
This was the first book that I read by Janette Oke ^_^ I saw the movies for this series a long time ago and didn't remember too much about them...also I watch When Calls the Heart with my mom and sisters all the time :P But this was the first time I actually read something from her and I was surprised by how much I liked it! :D The things Marty would think/say always made me smile or crack up laughing xD It was such a relaxing book to read for me...if that makes sense lol I do plan on
Mada Linx
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars.

Not my favourite, but it wasn’t bad, just what I needed to pass the time.
Amanda Tero
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fictional
This is such a Christian classic. The writer in me wonders why I love it so much, when Janette Oke writes an older style that breaks so many modern rules. But I truly do love this book. It’s like eating comfort food. Revisiting it now was a delight. I love the Biblical themes that Oke weaves through her stories, the realistic characters, the true-to-life events without being melodramatic, and the old-fashioned feel.

I remembered the Gospel message in this book being one of my favorites. It still
Olivia Jarmusch
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This entire series is just GOLD. One of my favorites. <3 ...more
Christina
I used to watch the Hallmark movie version of Oke’s bestselling book over and over again, and I was interested in reading the original book. However, as I came to find out, the movie version is vastly different and much better.
The characters in Oke’s book appear to be very one-dimensional -- Marty refuses to be a bad wife and Clark is stoic and cold -- in their marriage of convenience. And the plot as a whole was very simplistic with day-to-day details that make the whole thing very cumbersome.
Julianna
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Inspirational Romance or Little House on the Prairie Type Stories
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I first read Love Comes Softly when I was only about 15 or 16 years old, and if memory serves, it was my very first romance novel. It seems I must have picked well, because not only is it an appropriate story for younger readers content-wise, but it has stood up to the test of time. I still enjoyed it every bit as much today as I did 25 years ago, perhaps even more because I'm seeing it through more mature eyes. Love Comes Softly is something of a Little House on the Prai
Vannetta Chapman
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series was first published in 1979, and I probably read it around that time.
Janette Oke introduced me to "Christian fiction" when there wasn't such a thing. I remembered it being a lovely story, but I wondered if I'd like it as much nearly 40 years later.

The answer is YES!
This story is beautiful written with strong characters and plenty of action.
And now I want to re-read the rest of the series.

Strongly recommend.
Rebekah Morris
If you dislike stories that tell instead of show, don't read this.
If lots of "hick" accents annoy you, don't read this.
If you want sappy romance, don't read this.
If possible historical inaccuracies bother you, don't read this.
If you prefer books where you live with the characters instead of watching from the sidelines, don't read this.

Otherwise, enjoy the story.

I have never read any book by Janette Oke, but I had heard so much about them and how good they are, that when I found the kindle versio
Sarah Brazytis
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All ladies, young and old!
Recommended to Sarah by: Cecile Brazytis
Shelves: reviewed
This is among my top favorite books! Why?

~ Pioneer courage. A young woman goes West with her new husband, suffers his death, and goes on. Not in the modern way of most books(Pregnant widow goes to town! Gets job with local blacksmith! Teaches town that women can shoe horses too! Oh, please...), but in the quiet way of the times. She simply does what she has to do for her own survival and that of her unborn child, and does it the best she can despite her grief.

~ Pioneer practicality. Marty and Cl
Victoria Goodbrand
This was favourite childhood book. I remember reading it for the first time when I was 8 or 9 and loving it! My very ancient copy had us cover nearly fallen off and yellowed pages.....a well loved book!
Angela R. Watts
This was one of the sweetest, most endearing little books I've ever read. It was gripping, sweet, and realistic- all in one incredible package. Loved it.
Alethea
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was picked up, exactly because it looked really old, sitting on the shelf in the library at the school that I work at. I was bored, and I always do strange things every time it happened.

I was never a fan of romance story, especially one that is so sappy my teeth actually hurt. However, this romance is different. The book is thinner than books I usually read, but it captures me just the same. A friend told me once, that books usually cover two or more of the four main features: Charact
SallyB
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, ya, re-read, romance
Read the book when I was a teen, then again as an adult. Watched most of the series and then re-read the book. The first movie,I think, was with Katherine Heigle, The author of this Christian romance series is from my home province but I didn't know that until recently. She also did a very lovely RCMP series set in Alberta. Anyway, I won't go into the book because the mass amounts of ratings but highly recommend this beautiful story. Very authentic.
Teri
Sep 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Little House
Shelves: westerns
This is my first Janette Oke novel, and I plan to read more by her. This was a bit like Little House on the Prairie. Oke's prose style is simple and doesn't call attention to itself. The only things I found to be a little bit annoying were the bumpkin dialect she writes in for the dialogue, and how the characters are always drinking coffee-- as though the author were in a rut and couldn't decide what else to do with them! But the story is a good one, sweet and simple, and I'm looking forward to ...more
Maria
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a read! I loved this poignant story so much!! Janette Oke can always be counted on to deliver a beautiful faith-filled story. She is a classic author in Christian fiction.
When I was in primary school, I read 'Love Comes Softly' about 5 times, and I absolutely loved it. As I got older, I really wanted to read it again so I obtained it and read it again. It was just as good, if not better than the first times I read it! It was so beautiful to see God working through and in the lives of
Erin O'Connor {If The Review Fits}
Last review I made, I didn't put a single quote. (I really should do that more often...) Anyways, I'm gonna put my favorite one from this book rite below!

"Love doesn't always come with fireworks, sometimes love just had to come soflty"

My Take
I read this book after seeing every single movie that Hallmark made, I was of course shocked at how different it was. Usually, when they make old books into movies, they make it close to the book. But no, this was totally different. Me personally likes to co
Christy
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I was wrong to have waited so long to read this book; I almost missed a treasure by not reading it at all! I watched this as a movie on TV and I really didn't cling to it. The book however was a breath of fresh air. It's true pioneer grit and charm all in one. It's not just about love but a community linking arms in times of need. Quiet humor and strong faith. No flowery words or talk of beauty; no secrets needed or misunderstandings to keep a novel going; just pure pleasant writing at it's fine ...more
Wendy Phillips
Oct 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book was amazing and teaches family values. If you enjoy the Little House series, this is good clean holsome reading, but for adults.
Sara Cardon
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great read! I love how Clark and Marty build a relationship based on respect, teamwork, dignity, and mutual appreciation. Marty is a great female lead -- she's determined, makes an impact on Clark's life as much as he does on hers, and changes other's lives for the better in small impactful ways. The love Marty discovers with Clark is beautiful. I loved the ending few pages for the big payoff at the end of their journey. This is much better than the movie.
anika
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read all these books when I was like 10 XD XD Maybe this is what gave me such an appetite for romance.
Ellie
Apr 23, 2011 added it
I so wanted to hate Janette Oke. She was everything I "look down" on. Too simplistic writing & world view, some stereotype of a "Christian" writer, sentimental-clearly, my identity would be seriously shattered if I were to enjoy reading her.

So here I write, identity shattered. I broke my leg & was staying in a camp cabin & there were books available in the camp but they all were books I wouldn't ordinarily read. So of course I read them, not having other books available, and had a number of nice
Katherine
I thought I would like this book. I really wanted to like this book. Billed as Sarah Plain and Tall meets Little House on the Prairie with a dash more overt Christianity, it seemed like a good fit. But it was flat. There were stump storylines that didn't make the story go anywhere. The book was thin - not only physically, but on the conveyance of depth of character and life in the settling frontier.

Still, it would have been a solid 3-stars if not for the stylistic affectation Oke used to convey
Davida
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Davida by: Kirsten
Shelves: book-club-novels
This book surprised me! It is something I would have never picked up on my own, so I have a fellow Book Club friend to thank for the recommendation. I found this to be a nice palate-cleansing book as I read quite a bit of heavy material. I was pleased that that relationship that developed in this book was not over-the-top romantic and the Christian aspects of the novel are gentle, not aggressive for any readers who may not be of the same faith. I loved learning about the day-to-day life of the f ...more
Joy Gerbode
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wonderful ... again! One of my very favorite series, and this time I just wanted some light reading before beginning what promises to be a semester of very heavy reading!

April 2015 ... read again and enjoyed it just as much. Again the "light reading" was a welcome relief after some heavier reading in March. The romance, and the faith, all work together for a delightful story.
Susan Kendrick
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, I wanted something fast, fluffy and wholesome, and I was not disappointed! Though I generally turn up my nose at Christian romance in search of something more edgy and intellectual, I’m tired and yearning for the literary equivalent of boxed Mac and cheese - straightforward, easy to digest comfort food. So thanks 1979 Janette Oke! My only issue was the heavy handed vernacular dialogue, but I’m afeareed there tweren’t naught to do abixt it. Still scratched the fluffy fiction itch. Now off t ...more
Mikayla
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. The depth of emotion pulled me in so much. And those characters. <3
Janette Oke took situations that would have been awkward with other authors and somehow made it comfortable. She also didn't put in any awkward scenes between Marty and Clark like the movies did.
Overall, an awesome book, I'm looking forward to the rest of the series!
Mimi
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I had quite an experience with this book. My parents own the Hallmark movie version of the story, and I saw that a while back. I really liked it, and it made me want to read the book. For Christmas, I gave the copy of this book to a friend (without having read it yet), and then the book she gave me was so awesome, I decided my book to her couldn't be as awesome. I finally got it from the library (after waiting on hold FOREVER) and started to read it. Really critically. I was mentally tearing it ...more
Kim
The movie version of this book is my favorite Hallmark movie. Now reading the actual book, Love Comes Softly is now my #1 favorite marriage of convenience romance book I have ever read to this date. The movie was very loosely based compared to the actual book, as is a lot of the times the case when you are squeezing a lot story into a couple hours. I really loved the movie as I mentioned, but as is also usually the case, the book in my opinion was so much even better. Highly recommend this title ...more
Okex support phone number 1 3 Oct 10, 2018 02:48AM
Love Comes Softly is a family saga NOT a romance series 1 8 Jul 20, 2018 10:02AM
Nothing But Readi...: Oke, Janette - Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly #1) - Informal Buddy Read; Starts January 2, 2015 14 188 Mar 14, 2015 12:15PM
LOVE THIS BOOK! 3 17 Oct 01, 2014 03:19PM
Janette Oke 5 32 Jul 19, 2014 06:26PM

• The Shunning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1)
  • The Negotiator (O'Malley, #1)
  • Christy
  • The Centurion's Wife (Acts of Faith, #1)
  • The Atonement Child
  • Redemption (Redemption, #1)
  • Redeeming Love
  • Remember (Redemption, #2)
  • The Princess
  • The Last Sin Eater
  • Sophie's Heart
  • Donovan's Daughter (The Californians, #4)
  • Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence
  • The Scarlet Thread
  • Left Behind (Left Behind, #1)
  • True Devotion (Uncommon Heroes #1)
  • Bamboo & Lace
  • Fame (Firstborn, #1)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year

Love Comes Softly (8 books)
  • Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly, #2)
  • Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly, #3)
  • Love's Abiding Joy (Love Comes Softly, #4)
  • Love's Unending Legacy (Love Comes Softly, #5)
  • Love's Unfolding Dream (Love Comes Softly, #6)
  • Love Takes Wing (Love Comes Softly, #7)
  • Love Finds a Home (Love Comes Softly, #8)

Articles featuring this book

Get in the mood with our list of the top 100 romances of all time. We narrowed the field by limiting our results to books aimed at a...
“The truth of God's love is not that He allows bad things to happen, it's his promise that he will be there with us--when they do.” 260 likes
“Sometimes love isn't fireworks, sometimes love just comes softly.” 238 likes