What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Object inherited by several generations

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 254 comments Can anyone recommend a book about a object that is passed down through a family. Perhaps something like the book of Rachel?

message 2: by Jan (last edited May 01, 2014 05:01AM) (new)

Jan (janoda) | 42 comments I can heartily recommend Accordion Crimes by Annie Proulx .

While Accordeon Crimes isn't about an accordeon passed through generations of the same family precisely, since it does switches families at some points, the book does follow the accordeon and whoever owns it through several generations, and I think for more than a century. It becomes this tale about the American immigration, and it's amazing.

while I'm at it, you might like this list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2231 comments Short story, The Spider Glass.

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2231 comments Anna wrote: "The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Family's Century of Art and Loss"

Ooh, I heard great things about that from my mom...

message 6: by Grace (new)

Grace (perusingpeahen) | 4 comments Michele wrote: "Anna wrote: "The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Family's Century of Art and Loss"

Ooh, I heard great things about that from my mom..."

Michele wrote: "Anna wrote: "The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Family's Century of Art and Loss"

Ooh, I heard great things about that from my mom..."

This is an excellent novel and very fitting to your request. Additionally, the writing style is exquisite.

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott More a person than an object, but you might like The Deceiver.

message 8: by Grace (new)

Grace (perusingpeahen) | 4 comments Scott wrote: "More a person than an object, but you might like The Deceiver."

completely off topic, but my cat may be the twin of your cat

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott Grace wrote: "completely off topic, but my cat may be the twin of your cat"

He was found as a stray, so it is certainly possible!

message 10: by Grace (new)

Grace (perusingpeahen) | 4 comments Scott wrote: "Grace wrote: "completely off topic, but my cat may be the twin of your cat"

He was found as a stray, so it is certainly possible!"

Scott wrote: "Grace wrote: "completely off topic, but my cat may be the twin of your cat"

He was found as a stray, so it is certainly possible!"

Mine was also - an overweight stray impressively

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36871 comments Mod
Makes me think of the snow globe and the comic books in the dystopia Station Eleven. They aren't passed down through a family so much as they circulate among several people pre- and post-apocalypse, serendipitously.

message 12: by Kimber (last edited Dec 23, 2015 12:01PM) (new)

Kimber (kimberlibri) | 158 comments Roma Roma (Roma, #1) by Steven Saylor by Steven Saylor is a novel about the history of Rome told through the generations by the passing along of a distinctly shaped necklace. It was actually the book that got me reading historical fiction. Loved it.
There is also a series by various historical fiction who call themselves The Medieval Murderers. The first one is The Tainted Relic: An Historical Mystery The Tainted Relic An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1) by The Medieval Murderers about a cursed fragment of the true cross found during The Crusades and handed down through the generations up through Victorian times. The 'Murderers' have 10 or so books and at least 9 of them use the 'handing down of an object' format. Hope you enjoy.

message 13: by wanderer (new)