2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2016 > Ju aiming for 75 in 2016

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ju (new)

Ju Transcendancing (transcendancing) My goal is to read 75 books this year, I tend to predominantly read speculative fiction (sci-fi and fantasy, pretty much all flavours of sub-genre save the very grim and horror).

I've set this goal because as a full time student who still finds leisure reading critical to balance of happiness and self-care it seems both manageable but a reach. It was a good number for the past couple of years!

message 2: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Good luck, Ju! I read mostly speculative fiction as well. What do you study?

message 3: by Ju (new)

Ju Transcendancing (transcendancing) Cassandra wrote: "Good luck, Ju! I read mostly speculative fiction as well. What do you study?"

I'm training to be a midwife! I'm passionate about the field and the surrounds, but it's definitely an intense area of study. Highly rewarding though!

message 4: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Awesome! I'm sure it's quite a lot to study, since childbirth is such a complicated process to help someone through, with many things that could go wrong at any point. I'm glad to hear you enjoy what you do, though - that's so important. :)

message 5: by Ju (new)

Ju Transcendancing (transcendancing) It all rounds out very nicely :) And yes, so good to be working towards something I'm so passionate about!

message 6: by Ju (last edited Apr 04, 2016 08:03PM) (new)

Ju Transcendancing (transcendancing) 30/75

I'll also link to my reviews on Goodreads - but often they link to my blog site where I review in more detail. Books I particularly loved are marked with a *

Who's Afraid? with my review
*In the Blood with my review
*Illuminae with my review Also worth noting this book one the Aurealis Awards (juried) in the Science Fiction Novel category.
Radiance with my review - I read this for the Vaginal Fantasy Bookclub.
*Ancillary Mercy with my review - I now really want to read the trilogy again, one after the other, I think that would enhance the overall experience of this exceptional trilogy.
*Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy with my review
The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman with my review
*Bitch Planet, Vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine with my review.
The Beatriceid review still pending for this.
*Nightsiders with my review - read as part of the Journey Through the Twelve Planets reading challenge.
*The Governess Affair review still pending for this.
*Lumberjanes, Vol. 2: Friendship to the Max with my review
Remake with my review
The Dark Realm with my review
Feyland: The Bright Court with my review
The Twilight Kingdom with my review
Spark with my review
*Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal with my review
Royal with my review
Marny: Feyguard Book 3 with my review
*Love and Romanpunk with my review - read as part of the Journey Through the Twelve Planets reading challenge.
Steal the Sky with my review.
*Cast in Honor with my review.
All the Birds in the Sky review still pending for this.
The Cloud Roads review still pending for this.
Innocence Lost with my review
Thief of Lives with my review - read as part of the Journey Through the Twelve Planets reading challenge.
*Every Heart a Doorway with my review. This is my likely pick for my book of 2016 honestly.
Rosemary and Rue review pending.
A Local Habitation review pending.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 512 comments I haven't read any of the books you've read this year, but I did want to say I think it's so cool that you're studying to be a midwife! The extent of my knowledge of midwifery comes from reading Call the Midwife, which of course is 50 years out of date in terms of medical knowledge.

message 8: by Ju (new)

Ju Transcendancing (transcendancing) Emily wrote: "I haven't read any of the books you've read this year, but I did want to say I think it's so cool that you're studying to be a midwife! The extent of my knowledge of midwifery comes from reading Ca..."

The spirit of it is the same though - supporting women to birth their babies with confidence. Generally being there for them is a big part of it. The medical knowledge comes on top of that. We still deal with lots of the same situations too - for example toxaemia (not sure if you remember that episode in Call the Midwife) is eclampsia.

It's a very rewarding thing to be working towards, which does make the hard work all worthwhile.

Also hopefully some of the books I've read look interesting to you and if so I hope you enjoy them!