Jump to ratings and reviews

Lumberjanes #2

Lumberjanes, Vol. 2: Friendship to the Max

What a mystery!

Jo, April, Mal, Molly, and Ripley are not your average campers and Miss Qiunzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet's Camp for Hardcore Lady-Types is not your average summer camp. Between the river monsters, magic, and the art of friendship bracelets, this summer is only just beginning. Join the Lumberjanes as they take on raptors and a sibling rivalry that only myths are made of.

This New York Times bestseller and Eisner Award-nominated series is written by awesome all-star Noelle Stevenson and brilliant newcomer Grace Ellis, and illustrated by the tremendously talented Brooke Allen.

Lumberjanes, Vol. 2: Friendship to the Max includes issues 5-8 and the first fourteen pages of Giant Days, Vol. 1 by John Allison.

111 pages, Paperback

80 books4,502 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
640 (2%)
1 star
284 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,137 reviews
Profile Image for carol..
1,501 reviews7,543 followers
July 28, 2017
Score! For a person who ordinarily struggles with the format of graphic novels, this series is the max, adorbs, the bomb, rad, peachy keen.

(I honestly don't know what kids say these days).

Anyway, I thought it was a more cohesive story, with great adventures in each issue. One of the things that was particularly enjoyable is that Counselor Jamie, Joan, Juanita, Jedidah, Jen has been brought into the loop. Chapter Five, 'Friendship to the Craft,' starts with a nice, safe, crafting activity and I laughed to see a diagram for making a simple friendship bracelet, the number one best way to advertise you've been to camp. Of course, magic powered beasts appear, and a little crafting saves the day. Also has a great tribute to Jurassic Park and damsel-in-distress scenes.

description
The ketchup blood cracked me up.

Chapter Six is 'Jail Break,' a capture-the-flag game (another camp staple) that goes somewhat wrong, but we finally get an idea what's behind the adventures the girls keep stumbling into. It has one of my favorite panels as well as an exclamation--"For the love of Sister Rosetta Tharpe" which--omg. How did I miss this guitar-playing, singing virtuoso? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeaBN...

description
Appropriate use of 'literally.'

Chapter 7, 'Friendship to the Max', has a escapade with tribute to Mission Impossible and a cliff-hanger ending. Another camp staple; I remember performing our own Waterfront Mission Impossible skit which brought the house down. Chapter 8, 'Space Jamborie,' is about astronomy, anagram problem-solving and sibling rivalry with an ultimate bash that was thankfully mildly anti-climactic after all the ridiculous adventures earlier.

description
I love that Jen knows everything.

Overall, I thought it even better than the first collection, with improvement in storyline and visual arrangement. It took most of the book to get names straight, however--Jen and Ripley were referred to a lot, and Mal almost not at all. In this series, we see more from Jo, who has something hidden; Molly, who wears a secret in plain sight; and the effervescent Ripley. Jen gets a chance to test out her rule-breaking, and I love the moments she has with Rosie, Camp Director (and fab visual riff on Rosie the Riveter). There's a little puppy-love kiss that has a nod to same-sex relationships. The collection edition has a set of cover pages done by different artists as well as an excerpt from another graphic novel centered on three college kids. Super-fun and entertaining. Can't wait to see where new adventures go.

Abuse of ultimate power
Profile Image for Heidi The Reader.
1,366 reviews1,413 followers
August 5, 2017
Is there anything a Lumberjane can't do? I don't think so.

From monsters to mysteries to zombified boy scouts, the Lumberjanes saga continues in this fun graphic novel.

Friendship to the max!

If only I could convince my reluctant reader to give it a try... I think she'd love it. Highly recommended for everyone.
Profile Image for Joe Valdez.
470 reviews761 followers
December 23, 2022
My first experience reading a graphic novel has been Lumberjanes by Noelle Stevenson & Grace Ellis. My review of Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy can be found here and while I remain enamored by the wit and whimsy on display in this series--in which five Lumberjane scouts learn naval gauging, anagram solving and monster hunting at summer camp--I don't like having to review four chapters at a time.

I've said everything I need to say about this book without going into detail about what "junk" April, Jo, Molly, Mal and Ripley encounter in Vol 2: Friendship To the Max. Capture the Flag, friendship bracelets and Greek deities are involved. So is my favorite character, Jen, the put-upon scout leader of Roanoke cabin stuck supervising five girls who seem to attract river monsters, three-eyed foxes and hipster Yetis.

If you're looking for a summer adventure for juveniles told with greater imagination and wholesome restraint than The Goonies--that much loved, obnoxious, mean-spirited '80s kids adventure movie produced by Steven Spielberg that had me rooting for the booby traps--I highly recommend giving this girl-centric series a sample, even if graphic novels aren't your thing. Onward to Vol. 3 ...
Profile Image for Baba.
3,503 reviews725 followers
October 2, 2020
More understated, initially quirky looking art, which is anything but from the talented Brooke Allen, and more on the face of it almost childish art and stories by Noelle Stevenson and Grace Ellis, that turn out to be a lot, lot, more. This test, and defining of friendship volume, also begins to reveal wider plot themes. This book that shouldn't work so well, kind of does because there's pretty much nothing it can be compared to! 7 out of 12.

Oh Sister Rosetta Tharpe!
Profile Image for Kristina Horner.
157 reviews1,807 followers
December 21, 2016
Picked this up on a beautiful Sunday and read it in one sitting at the park. Lumberjanes is so delightful and I highly recommend it to any ladies who want a heavy dose of friendship and girl power.
Profile Image for Tink Magoo is bad at reviews.
1,240 reviews184 followers
September 4, 2016
I've shut the child beast out because she was looking for attention and that takes time away from me reading. I mean, that's just out of order. Kids are such hard work, they want your time and affection and... argh, they're SO DEMANDING! There are fictional characters that need me, why can't they understand that.

-----

Kitten Power ... or girl power... either... NO, BOTH!

Onwards!

Profile Image for Emily (emilykatereads).
399 reviews294 followers
April 9, 2017
I decided to relax a bit and pick this up before studying for my Greek Mythology exam. Then Greek mythology pops up throughout this volume. I can't escape it, but I love it. It gave me a chuckle, especially with Apollo characteristically being "a tit" (as my Greek myth prof calls him). Fun story. Good humour. I wish everyone had a kitten for real.
Profile Image for Carlos Peguer.
245 reviews1,607 followers
December 4, 2017
Que estoy CALVO con esta maravilla, me ha gustado incluso más que el primer volumen y mira que era difícil. Me he reído un montón y con cada capítulo adoro más y más a las chicas. Y QUE ME HAN METIDO MITOLOGÍA GRIEGA QUE ES MY KIND OF SHIT Y NO ME LO ESPERABA Y ME HA HECHO MUCHA ILUSIÓN. Que eso, que me encanta.
Profile Image for Sesana.
5,004 reviews348 followers
August 13, 2015
I actually read these as single issues from my library, and I was happy I didn't have to wait for the complete volume. I had so much fun reading the first volume, and volume two was every bit as good. It had the added benefit of tying up a lot of loose ends from volume one (but not all of them) and more character development. I was satisfied with the way the major story arc was resolved, and I'm very glad that there's more Lumberjanes on the way.
Profile Image for Kailey (Luminous Libro).
2,837 reviews430 followers
December 28, 2015
I liked this comic a lot! The girls are always getting into trouble, and they have the funniest one-liners. The drawing style kind of weirds me out sometimes, but I like the colors and the action scenes. The story is hilarious and unpredictable, all kinds of craziness going on. I love how the characters are all so different, and they stick together as true friends.

My favorite thing is that the girls are always saying stuff like, "How in the Annie Smith Peck did you get up there?" or "For the love of Agnodice...would you come down?" Every time it's different and these are the names of all kinds of amazing women from history.

Annie Smith Peck- Adventurer, Suffragist (1850-1935)
Agnodice - First female doctor in Ancient Greece
Juliette Gordon Low- founder of the Girl Scouts
Bell Hooks- American author, Feminist (1952- )
Anahareo- Mohawk Iroquois writer, Conservationist (1906-1986)
Phillis Wheatley- First female African American poet (1753-1784)
Mae Jamison- Doctor, NASA Astronaut (1956- )

I just adore that little feminist touch in these comics. Every time one of these sayings comes up, I have to stop reading and google the famous person's name!
Profile Image for ashley.
174 reviews711 followers
November 30, 2017
This series gets better and better. I thoroughly enjoy it, can't wait to read more.
Profile Image for Kitty G Books.
1,544 reviews2,931 followers
November 16, 2015
This is volume 2 in the wonderful Lumberjanes series and I was super excited to read this one after having adored the first volume. Sadly this one didn't quite live up to how much I enjoyed the first one, maybe because it explained a few too many things rather than being quite as insane and random as the first (traits I very much enjoyed) but it was still hugely bright and chirpy and filled with life.

The story continues following our main few characters in this one and I have to say that I am slowly getting to know who is who and what their personalities are like as it goes on - which is good. I do think that there are some moments where they get a little confusing in book 1 as to who is who and what they are like (maybe that's just me) and yet I also think that the less crazy design of this story meant I wasn't quite as hooked.

Overall it's another really wonderful story with some really funny badges up for grabs and some rather interesting takes on how to achieve them, but I did feel as though it had maybe lost a little of the magic for me. I also have heard that the art direction and team is changed from this point onwards so I do have some worries about that too! :/

A great 4* read, but sadly not quite as wonderful as the first issue. I'd still say it's great to try out, but maybe don't expect quite as much fabulousness? But that's just my opinion, I know many who still love it :)
Profile Image for K..
3,537 reviews999 followers
June 18, 2016
God, I love this series so much. It's so quirky and fun and ridiculous, while sending wonderful messages about female friendship and girls going on adventures and solving puzzles and generally being unique and wonderful characters.

This one was laugh out loud funny at times, featured dinosaurs, and had beautiful art. What more could I want?!
Profile Image for Kristin.
312 reviews105 followers
May 7, 2016
I love lumberjanes and ripley is still my favorite! This volume was fun, not as strong as the first and some of the issues felt rushed but overall it's still amazing!
Profile Image for Lauren Stoolfire.
3,401 reviews254 followers
April 22, 2019
Lumberjanes by Noelle Stevenson is absolutely delightful. The sense of humor, rollicking adventure, and air of mystery is a real treat. I cannot wait to continue on with this series - I honestly don't know why I haven't already. I also think I need to read everything from Stevenson ever. Thank you to Book Riot's 2019 Read Harder Challenge for giving me the opportunity to read this.
Profile Image for Farah.
767 reviews91 followers
February 1, 2020
I grew up with Archies, I still read the comic but these Lumberjanes are giving Archies a run for their money. I absolutely love these girls, Jo, April, Mal, Molly and Ripley. Highly addictive, funny as heck and gorgeous illustration, well done to the production team.
Profile Image for Lauren.
801 reviews931 followers
August 16, 2016
FRIENDSHIP TO THE MAX!

I loved this second volume of Lumberjanes which explores the five characters' relationship in a lot more detail. What's nice about this volume is that it builds on what the readers already know about the slightly "strange" world the girls find themselves in (complete with supernatural animals) and shows how far they will go in order to help their friend(s) in distress.

My favourite chapters in this volume were 'Jail Break' and 'Friendship to the Max'. Both chapters were witty, charming, silly (and in the latter's case, ended on a real surprise which literally had me wide-eyed and open-mouthed in shock).

The dialogue is spot on and captures all five characters' personalities well (Ripley is my fave (I definitely identify with her the most) with April a close second). I also have a huge soft spot for Bubbles! :)

If you want a heap load of silliness mixed with hilarious madcap situations and witty banter, look no further because Lumberjanes Vol 2 is exactly that. And more.
Profile Image for Dave Schaafsma.
Author 6 books31.2k followers
November 28, 2015
Camp continues. I like the energy, the color, the focus on friendship and magic. I like, too, all the peripheral materials about camp rules and purposes, all the badges and competitions and friendship bracelets, all that world-building, wow! Super fun, maybe especially for the eight year old girl, but the 9 and 10 year old boys read and liked it, too (maybe just because it is so energetically fun and because they also have been to camp). The art is well done, busy to match the narrative's energy. This is a Goodreads nominated volume for the year, and it's Eisner-nominated and Stevenson, with Nimona, too! is hot right now. Deserving of attention, I would say. Girls rule!
Profile Image for Amy.
105 reviews9 followers
June 27, 2015
I read these as single issues, and will be continuing to read this series as single issues because they are so fun I don't see the point in waiting for the trades to be released! This is probably one of my all time favourite "non-superhero" comic series that I've picked up and definitely worth a read!
Profile Image for Calista.
3,791 reviews31.2k followers
October 16, 2017
Dinosaur's, Grandma Bears and Artemis - Oh My! Lots of energy and excitement still going on. The Lumberjanes stick together and confront some dangerous events. What's really going on in those woods. Artemis and Apollo both show up to battle it out. What is this camp they are at. The art is very fun.

I still enjoy this series and I want to continue. Friendship to the MAX!
Profile Image for Erica ♋️✨.
465 reviews77 followers
May 23, 2017
I LOVE THIS GRAPHIC NOVEL SERIES. ❤😍❤😍❤😍❤😍❤😍❤😍❤😍❤😍❤😍❤😍❤😍😍❤😍❤
Profile Image for Maria.
576 reviews124 followers
December 12, 2017
I actually laughed out loud at some moments. My heart is melting. I LOVE MY GIRLS.
Profile Image for Erica.
1,292 reviews424 followers
February 3, 2016
Huh.
So.
Yeah.

This was ok.

Just ok.

I loved the first one, all its craziness and hyperactive plot.
This one kept the hyperactive but at the expense of story. I felt like I was being randomly tossed from one moment to the next and the explanation for everything that had happened in the last book was not as dark nor as mysterious as I'd expected. Plus, there was that dreaded repetition thing where elements of the first book are replayed here.

The cultural references also were not nearly so magical this time, from the Major Tom nod (or Star Wars, depending how you want to look at it)

photo PC300964_zpssthzmfv8.jpg

to the Great Females of History being used as exclamations, either. It was, actually, boring. To me, I mean. To the target audience, I'm sure it's all delightful.

Still, this volume felt pointless, like the first one needed to be tied together and so voila! A ribbon in a bow.
It made me have a disappoint.
Profile Image for Wren (fablesandwren).
666 reviews1,498 followers
April 19, 2021
Okay I could possibly get involved with the Greek Gods causing some havoc. I mean, I am not sure what else could be causing all of these weird things happening.

But DINOSAURS.

What really keeps me going is how the girls are sticking up for one another and keep saving each other’s lives. There’s even a low-key love thing going on with two of them and then just the purity of the friendship is so wonderful that it makes me want to keep going with the series.

I hope they rival it out with the boy camp. Nothing screams competition more than boys against girls, am I right am I right?

Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,137 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.