YA LGBT Books discussion

Book Related Banter > help me with my book backlog!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maxman217 (new)

Maxman217 | 16 comments so I might have a slight problem of buying books I think look really good, and then kind of forgetting about them, I read a lot but looking through my kindle I realized I have A LOT of books I was really hot for when I got but never read, and now I'm into all of them so I can't pick jest one and well... help?

here's a list of whats in the backlog that I'm into, I'm trying to cut it down to just the books I'm really dying to read

Andy Squared
Bi-Normal
Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things
Chulito
Cinnamon Toast and the End of the World
Collide
Cut Both Ways
The Dead Will Rise First
Debbie Harry Sings in French
Exiled to Iowa. Send Help. And Couture
Faggit
Fan Art
Flesh and Bone
Freaks and Revelations
Gemini Bites
Love Drugged
A Man's Man
Money Boy
My Side Of The Story
Mysterious Skin
Not Broken, Just Bent
One Boy's Shadow
Private Display of Affection
Read Between the Lines
The Screwed Up Life of Charlie the Second
Spellbound
This is Not a Love Story
We Are the Ants
Weird Girl and What's His Name
Willful Machines
Wrestling with Desire

so I guess pick which one you'd want to read? or one you read and adore?

thanks for the help

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 715 comments I vote for Cut Both Ways and Mysterious Skin.

Bi-Normal was pretty terrible, imo. I wouldn't even bother with that one.

Claudia the Night Owl (claudiamancilla) | 3 comments Not broken, just bent, haven't actually read it but I love that author.

message 4: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16460 comments I really enjoyed Exiled to Iowa. Send Help. And Couture - light and fun
Chulito is excellent with a Hispanic main character (but it has on-page sex, so it's more NA than YA)
Mysterious Skin is also what I'd consider adult (child abuse themes) but good

I've heard good things about "The Screwed Up life of Charlie the Second" but haven't read it.

message 5: by Carrie-Anne (new)

Carrie-Anne | 98 comments If you want a really harrowing and emotional book then Mysterious Skin is the one, but if you wanted something cute or love story or YA out easy reading then it's not the right one to go for!

message 6: by Maxman217 (new)

Maxman217 | 16 comments Carrie-Anne wrote: "If you want a really harrowing and emotional book then Mysterious Skin is the one, but if you wanted something cute or love story or YA out easy reading then it's not the right one to go for!"

the main problem I'm having is I'm a big fan of both intense emotional gut punch books (366 Days is a favorite) and also cute, sweet, and feel good books (no examples coming to mind) and I have no idea which I'm in the mood for.

message 7: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 171 comments Let me see, I have already read and loved:
Andy Squared
Faggit
Not Broken, Just Bent
Private Display of Affection
This is Not a Love Story
Wrestling with Desire
Collide

Any of these I highly recommend.

message 8: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 582 comments Andy Squared was really good, while Gemini Bites was not as good and had similar themes.

Willful Machines was superb; so good that I put a blurb of a review on it (I rarely write reviews, so it was something special to get that kind of reaction from me). But... there is a gap in the resolution, leaving room for the sequel; so if you're wanting to read a complete series, you might opt to skip this one for now.

One Boy's Shadow also got a 5-star rating from me.

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric Mcdermott | 35 comments Maxman217 wrote: the main problem I'm having is I'm a big fan of both intense emotional gut punch books (366 Days is a favorite) and also cute, sweet, and feel good books (no examples coming to mind) and I have no idea which I'm in the mood for.

I love 366 Days too. Its one of my top 10 all time books. I keep hoping for a sequel to it.