Start by marking “366 Days” as Want to Read:
366 Days

366 Days

Sixteen year old Garrett Powell is agraphobic, androphobic and haptephobic. Ryan Thompson, the new kid, just wants to be his friend and then-hopefully-something more. Kellie Powell wants her big brother back. And Erin Donaldson is just, well, Erin. Not for readers under sixteen. Warnings for strong language.
Published September 25th 2012 (first published September 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about 366 Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 366 Days

Ulysses Dietz
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kiyoshi Tanaka's "366 Days" is unlike anything in this genre I've ever read. It is, in the end, a story about the curative power of love - but also an affirmation of the possibility of selfless love.

Garrett Powell seems to be another angry teenager; pissed off at his parents, hating school, resentful of his therapist. Ryan Thompson, on the other hand, is happy-go-lucky, popular, and filled with the joy of being alive. The entire book is played out over the course of a year and a day,
vLadimiR
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was ok

The book had a compelling plot and some factors which I've never read before (view spoiler). I also wanted to like the book. I really did, but the writing itself was a bit juvenile (view spoiler) ...more
Angela
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply loved this book. Ryan and Garrett are just precious together <3333
Cindy Williams
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: human-interest
All I can say right now is damn... its over. I so did not want this book to end. :( This book grabbed me, tugged at my heart and screamed in my face. I am still reeling from it. The author did a remarkable job of relaying the story using two points of view. And in doing so came off as appearing as two separate people telling the story. This simple yet effective story telling way held my interest completely. I feel as though I know the two main character intimately and now I feel lost that I won ...more
Jennifer Shanahan
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-total-faves
If I could give this book MORE than 5 stars, I would give it TEN. This book was AMAZING. I could not put it down in spite of the very intense and emotional topic. If you read books to be entertained and feel happy, then this book is not for you even though there are some happy parts. I read books about things that happen in real life, that may be unpleasant or difficult to think about, and don't always have a happy ending. The characters are so real and their emotions and lives are played out in ...more
Radwyn
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
I liked the no holds barred swearing and discussion of traumatic events as teenagers would talk like this. The gay central relationship felt a bit fantasical and idealized but it was still very enjoyable to read. Having had post traumatic stress disorder myself I found the portal of Garrets condition realistic and gritty.
I wish the story went on a little longer that's all maybe 666 days would have been good =). Please write a sequel!
Carnell
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I need a sequel. BADLY.
Huston Piner
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this book almost beyond words. It's tragic, moving, romantic, horrifying, and beautiful. The caution in the blurb should be taken seriously. There's a lot of the "F" word, and several descriptions (view spoiler) that are graphic.

As to who should or shouldn't read it, I can't answer without engaging in spoilers. (view spoiler) ...more
B.
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I downloaded 366 Days to my Kindle after reading a mention in a review for another book that I read recently. It also did not hurt that the book was 400 pages, as I love longer reads on my Kindle. The main characters are Garrett and Ryan, two high-school sophmores who are not exactly in the closet, but are not exactly "out" either. That was also fun to read in this book, because so many books that feature teen characters focus a large portion of the storytelling on the coming-out process, but no ...more
Gyvareva
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I have always had a soft spot for hurt/comfort as well as some drama now and then. This story hits all my buttons, in a good way ; the fluff is sweet and develops over time (there's not so much of it at the beginning), the corniness that appears as the situation develops is endearing and clearly purposely done in response to the character's personality and past. All in all, a heart-warming reading, which I find myself enjoying again and again without tiring of it. All the angst and d ...more
T.W. Amburgey
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a much different type of book than I usually read. Not only is it structured much differently -- chronologically rather than the typical chapter/scene; but it is also from the first person / present tense point of view. It should have been a book that I should have hated. That said, it was not... I really fell in love with Ryan and Garrett. Their story was tender... it was angry... it was broken. There was so much about it that tore at my heart; but in the end, it was full on hope and h ...more
Claudia
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Totally worth reading. The story of Garret and Ryan is adorable. Garret is severely traumatized after being abused by his own brother, what lead him to panic attacks and to his phobias. Ryan is a lovely boy that falls Iin love without even knowing Garret's name. Very touching to follow Garret's progress and the development of their relationship. Wonderful book!!!
Briarwolf  Baby
This book was magnificent. Dealt with a lot of topics that most people don't wanna talk about. I loved the honesty of it, how it was complicated, not all black and white. Made me cry, made me smile. I wanted it to be longer.
Colin
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't want to do this. But my therapist told me I had to either star a journal or find a friend.

It was both disturbing and cute. Even too much sometimes. And it took me quite long to bring back all the memories of how things work when you're 16-17 years old and sincerely ready to spend every second of your time with your significant other. But as soon as I let it go, the book became mostly cute. Basically 366 Days is a story of how one person is all the other person need to solve all the pro
Chas Smith
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautiful love stories I've ever read.
The only criticism I would have is that the (view spoiler) is kind of far fetched. And that it wasn't long enough. I need to know more about what happens next!

I seriously loved this book, I need a sequel.
Smacktard
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What A Great Read

This is an amazing story, well told. There was nothing I didn't like about it, other than some mis-used and mis-spelled words. There is definitely the potential for a follow-up, which I hope is on the author's agenda.
kiu
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kristy Maitz
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Main character Garrett was from age 11 till age 15 sexually abused from his older brother Victor. Result of it is that Garrett is now very closed down, doesn't allow anyone to touch him and don’t talk much.

New kid in school named Ryan is from starting point very interesting about Garrett and would do anything to get to know him. I did like both main characters.

Problem factors are:
- Story is to dramatic in long run
- MC are 16-17years old which is in my eyes still a kids w
Lynn S.
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book a few days ago and I'm still reeling from it. It is a powerful story of a young man who was a victim of un unspeakable tragedy. But more than that it is a story about hope and trust and patience and faith. Garrett, with the help of some pretty special friends and a boyfriend who won't give up on him, battles his demons and you as a reader get to take this journey with him. One of the best books I've read.
Crystal  Land
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
This book was a tough read. The immediacy of the diary style was very involving, but made already painful experiences that much harder to read about. I adored all the characters m, which does not happen often with me, especially when most of them are teens.
Kaykay
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: someone who has read and had the patience for amateur Wattpad books or the like
Shelves: wattpad-ish
This was good if you read it without the normal expectations you have for a real, published book. This felt like a really long Wattpad-level book, though one you'd find on the better side of the site. It was pretty juvenile and some parts felt a little unrealistic, but it wasn't an unpleasant read.
Eric Mcdermott
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book several times since buying it a couple of years ago. It's one of my favorite "re-reads." Many other reviewers have explained the plot, so I won't rehash it. But I agree with many of them... I want a sequel to this book more than just about any other book I've ever read.
Jessica
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very sweet and heartbreaking book. I really liked it. Even thru the downs it was good. I would love to have a book two - maybe meet Victor and get to see Garret take the next steps in his relationship.
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
While there were a few stylistic and spelling errors I could point out, I could not put this book down. It was so indulgent. I'll definitely be visiting the author's Fiction Press page for more.
Erica
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
Heartwarming and tender. Would love to see more books by this author.
Jeffery
Oct 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Likable characters, compelling plot, but the middle of the book is a bit dull.
Donna
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WOW. I didn't want this book to end! I absolutely loved this book.
Grace Foley
Oct 19, 2014 added it
Shelves: favorites
This novel was absolutely amazing. I've never read anything like this and i didn't expect to enjoy it at all.
Ayanna
Mar 17, 2014 marked it as to-read-pruned
I also hate the name Garrett. Ugh. It's just such a horrible-sounding name.
But also, wow, how is this kid still alive? Why hasn't he imploded from anxiety yet?
Brin
This was a tough book to read. A very difficult subject matter but the love story between the two main characters was beautifully realized.

Full review to follow...
The Backlot Gay B...: 366 Days by Kiyoshi Tanaka 4 53 Jan 15, 2014 10:34PM

• Intervention
  • Breaking the Mirror
  • Aaron (Survivor Stories #1)
  • Pain and . . . pain?
  • Silent
  • Kieran & Drew
  • Ómorphi
  • Every Time I Think of You
  • Reaching Avery (Port Haven #2)
  • The Cost of Loving (Unconditional Love, #2)
  • Why the Star Stands Still (Gives Light, #4)
  • Vivaldi in the Dark (Vivaldi in the Dark, #1)
  • Crush (The House on Glass Beach #1)
  • (In)visible
  • Nail Polish and Feathers (Deep Secrets and Hope, #1)
  • Drown