Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Archives (maybe Revisit) > Leprechaun Event RaT: Reading the Rainbow Read-a-Thon Q&A

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 06, 2016 07:02AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod

Reading the Rainbow ~ a Leprechaun 2 Week Read-a-Thon
Starting March 11th

➜ Two Week Read-a-Thon (RaT) open to any and all
➜ You do NOT have to read every day to participate. Can read as much as 24/7 for 14 days or as little as 1 hour in 2 weeks. As much or little as each person is able.
➜ To make it stand apart from other run of the mill RaT, this will be set up differently. Everyday will come with Daily Challenges consisting of : Daily Questions/Interactions, Daily Recommendations & Daily Tasks.
➜ Participation in Daily Challenges is not mandatory to join in for RaT. Join in as MANY, or as FEW, Daily Questions, Daily Recommendations, Daily Tasks as you would like.
➜ You don't have to read during the RaT to participate in the Daily Questions or Recommendations.
➜ Create goals to help you keep on track (page count / hours read / books read) or just go with the flow. Goals not mandatory for participation.
➜ Mandatory for RaT ----- Have FUN and READ.

Daily Questions/Interactions FAQ -
╰⊰✿ Each Day will have a Daily Questions (or interactions)
╰⊰✿ You may choose to participate as much or as little as you'd like. You could answer all questions one day, none another, it's all up to you!
╰⊰✿ Interactions may mean visiting other member profiles. If your profile is private, please be willing to accept new friends. If you'd rather not receive new GR friends, please skip that day's interactions.

Recommendations FAQ -
Through this read-a-thon, we're going to recommend books in the hopes of putting a ton more books on our TBR! With recommendations ~
╰⊰✿ Recommendations Thread for Recommendations ONLY! Separate threads will be for Chat/Interactions and so on. Please only make your Recommendations, and nothing else, in the Recommendations Thread!
╰⊰✿ Try to recommend something not extremely popular (no Harry Potter!) We want to get new books and with extremely big series/books, people already know about them. Give us something new to want!
╰⊰✿ REMEMBER: Our group is an ALL AGES group. Please no recommendations of a mature nature. Gore and violence is ok (it's in Hunger Games after all) but nothing too over the top and no erotica please. (Members of the Back Room may make recommendations there, be on the lookout for a mini Back Room version of this read-a-thon!)

Tasks FAQ -
╰⊰✿ Each Day will have a Daily Task (book to read)
╰⊰✿ The Daily Tasks are a fun suggestion and not mandatory for participation in the RaT
╰⊰✿ There will be a Task for a slower pace (for those who don't complete a book a day) and a Task for a faster pace (for those who read a book or more a day)
╰⊰✿ You can pick or choose what task you want to do ~
----- 1 - to start (but perhaps not finish) a book each day
----- 2 - to start and finish a book each day
----- 3 - to choose neither, and read what you want
----- 4 - to not read and just join in the Questions and/or Recommendations
╰⊰✿ You can chose to do Any or None or All tasks, of any level

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 12, 2016 04:40AM) (new)

Random Q&A:

➜ No page limit to the books you read, as short or as long as you'd like. But remember other event page requirements if you wish to use the books for those as well.
➜ Task Book (to read) :
----- does NOT have to be the one you recommended
----- does NOT have to be finished that day to qualify for Leprechaun Bonus
----- CAN be started any time after announced
----- CAN be completed through end of March for Leprechaun Bonus
----- Task for LC Bonus is just ONE book. You may read more but coins will be given for just one.

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 6: by Corinne (new)

Corinne | 86 comments I'm in, this sounds really fun! :) Is there going to be a page limit for books we can recommend so that we can try to finish each in a day?

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (engelsigh) | 1089 comments I'm in

message 8: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) No page limits. Read and enjoy what you want! :)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Oh, wow! I really like how this is set up! I'm definitely in!

message 10: by *Dawn (last edited Mar 06, 2016 03:35PM) (new)

*Dawn (x1f4dadawnx1f4da) | 144 comments [Edited to move over to the tracking thread.]

message 11: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) I'll open up the goals thread for tracking. Didn't think anyone would be setting up already. :D

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Love all the Leprechaun names! I need one! Is there a generator somewhere or can I just make one up?

message 13: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Mar 06, 2016 11:02AM) (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "Love all the Leprechaun names! I need one! Is there a generator somewhere or can I just make one up?"

You have one generator in first quest of Leprechaun RPG here
or you can use some generator. I used this one

And if you want, you can come up with something on your own.

We are fine with everything :)

message 14: by *Dawn (new)

*Dawn (x1f4dadawnx1f4da) | 144 comments Karsyn wrote: "I'll open up the goals thread for tracking. Didn't think anyone would be setting up already. :D"

We all have OCD, Karsyn. We are on it!! :)

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2767 comments I'm in :):)

message 16: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1397 comments I'm in

message 17: by Jo-Jo (new)

Jo-Jo | 686 comments I'm in!!

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary  (wimew) | 396 comments I'm in. But it's my first one so bare with me if I make any mistakes. Lol

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments I would like to do this, as it sounds like great fun, but I don't know if I can handle doing yet another NBRC challenge/thing. Between the Around the World, Leprechaun Mini-Quests, and Road to St. Patrick's that I'm building a list for, I might be full up. But I want to see how this goes, so I'm "tentatively" in! :-)

message 21: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Jen wrote: "I would like to do this, as it sounds like great fun, but I don't know if I can handle doing yet another NBRC challenge/thing. Between the Around the World, Leprechaun Mini-Quests, and Road to St. ..."

Well, the basics of it is to just spend time reading. So, if you are reading any during the two weeks, to do your other challenges, then you're technically part of the RaT. :) The other stuff isn't anything you have to do, just some different and bonus fun.

But anyone can come and go as you wanna. It's just a time of reading, and getting to know others.

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Karsyn wrote: Well, the basics of it is to just spend time reading. So, if you are reading any during the two weeks, to do your other challenges, then you're technically part of the RaT. :) The other stuff isn't anything you have to do, just some different and bonus fun."

That's the main reason why I'm going to give this a try. Reading, I can do! :-)

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ladygator71) | 19 comments I'll join in!

message 24: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments I'm game for this! I wouldn't mind getting more involved in the group. I've been reading a lot more than I normally do because I've been out of work, but I'm hoping that'll change in the next few days. We'll see what my reading schedule will be one day at a time.

message 25: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1144 comments I'll play! I know I will be reading for sure, so I may as well join. :)

message 26: by Angie ☯ (last edited Mar 11, 2016 09:56PM) (new)

Angie ☯ | 1041 comments I'm in!!

message 27: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Glad to see y'all excited for the read-a-thon which begins TOMORROW!!

Any questions going in, that haven't already been covered?

message 28: by Eni (new)

Eni | 2046 comments im pretty confused on what will be going on BUT im obviously signing in. Screw WoW oO (gasp!)

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Karsyn wrote: "Glad to see y'all excited for the read-a-thon which begins TOMORROW!!

Any questions going in, that haven't already been covered?"

Does it start at any particular time tomorrow? Or just as soon as it's the 11th in our respective time zones?

message 30: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Jen wrote: "Karsyn wrote: "Glad to see y'all excited for the read-a-thon which begins TOMORROW!!

Any questions going in, that haven't already been covered?"

Does it start at any particular time tomorrow? Or ..."

It'll start when I get up and about. :) So, no, no definite time. Y'all are certainly able to start reading for it, but the actual interaction/tasks/recommendations part of it will start when I get up. :)

Unless I sleep like crap (I usually do when I have something to do the next day) I plan on being up and posting by 8am, EST. 9am at the latest. Basically around the same time that the Road to St Patrick's has been posted every day. Once you see that go up first, the Read-a-Thon will start soon after. :)

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments LOL Karsyn... Okay then, so I won't count books I read before my bedtime tonight. But after I wake up, any books read will count. ;-) (I usually sleep from about 3a/4a to 11a/12p AZ/Mountain time.)

message 32: by Imagination (new)

Imagination Meg (imaginationmeg) | 60 comments Guess I'm in - but I have no idea what will be going on!!! :)

message 33: by Rylie (new)

Rylie | 298 comments Can't wait for this to start later today! By the way, I'm in. :D
First readathon...woohoo!

message 34: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

The Read-a-Thon has begun!! :)

Day 1 : Daily Questions
Day 1 : Daily Recommendations
Day 1 : Daily Tasks

message 35: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments I have a question: To earn the 2 LCs for the daily task - "Read a favorite book with a red cover" - does the book have to be finished today? Or will the 2 coins be earned so long as we start and finish the book after the task has been announced?

message 36: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Jen wrote: "I have a question: To earn the 2 LCs for the daily task - "Read a favorite book with a red cover" - does the book have to be finished today? Or will the 2 coins be earned so long as we start and fi..."

Nope, does not have to be finished today. Yes, earned as long as started/finished after the task is announced and before the end of March to qualify for Leprechaun Coins.

message 37: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Karsyn wrote: "Nope, does not have to be finished today. Yes, earned as long as started/finished after the task is announced and before the end of March to qualify for Leprechaun Coins. "

Hooray! Because I recommended a book two in a trilogy, and I'm now eager to reread it but I HAVE to read book one first. I'm so relieved! I can now read book one today and book two tomorrow (hopefully, lol). :-D

Thank you, Karsyn! :-)

message 38: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana | 2231 comments I have a question about unfinished books. Do only books started on 11th or later count? I have read 100 pages today but I started the book a couple of days ago.

About the daily task. Do I have to read the favorite author/book I posted in the Daily recommendations thread or can I pick another favorite of mine?

message 39: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 937 comments Does the favorite author/book have to a reread or can we pick a red covered book from one our favorite authors we haven't read yet?

I also wanted to check on if this would be considered a 'red' cover:
Phoenix (Vlad Taltos, #5) by Steven Brust

message 40: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments Question for the daily tasks --- do you have to start the daily task on the day it's announced or just sometime during the readathon??

message 41: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Zuzana wrote: "I have a question about unfinished books. Do only books started on 11th or later count? I have read 100 pages today but I started the book a couple of days ago.

About the daily task. Do I have to ..."

Nope, you don't have to read the recommended one, just any favorites. It's fine if you have started something already and it fits, it's not a "strict" as the Road to ones. It's just suggestions and fun stuffs to help people pick out things to read.

message 42: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Daphne wrote: "Does the favorite author/book have to a reread or can we pick a red covered book from one our favorite authors we haven't read yet?

I also wanted to check on if this would be considered a 'red' c..."

You can pick a book you haven't read yet, if you wanna. Hopefully you'd end up loving it. :)

I'd say that's a little too orange, so I'd suggest holding onto that one, as maybe it'd fit in another time (there's a rainbow theme going on). :)

message 43: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) JoLene wrote: "Question for the daily tasks --- do you have to start the daily task on the day it's announced or just sometime during the readathon??"

Nope, any time during the read-a-thon. You can start/finish any time in March, for the LC.

message 44: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Mar 11, 2016 05:11PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Does the book for the read-a-thin has to be a book in the recommendations thread? And are we to read one book that covers the tasks or is it 3 books?

message 45: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "Does the book for the read-a-thin has to be a book in the recommendations thread? And are we to read one book that covers the tasks or is it 3 books?"

No, the book you read does not have to be the one you recommended. You can read as many books as you want, but for the 2 LC it's just one book.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Karsyn wrote: "☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ wrote: "Does the book for the read-a-thin has to be a book in the recommendations thread? And are we to read one book that covers the tasks or is it 3 books?"..."

Ok thanks :)

message 47: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Quick Question,

For the daily tasks for extra LCs and it says "Read a book...." does that mean FINISH it? Or just read some?

message 48: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) RebeccaS wrote: "Quick Question,

For the daily tasks for extra LCs and it says "Read a book...." does that mean FINISH it? Or just read some?"

Finished. Books must be finished in March for the LCs.

message 49: by Mary (new)

Mary  (wimew) | 396 comments would you count Janet Evanovichs wicked charms gold or yellow

my apologies cant do covers

message 50: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Mary wrote: "would you count Janet Evanovichs wicked charms gold or yellow

my apologies cant do covers"

Yeah I'll take it for the yellow on it as I haven't specified how much/little needs to be on it. :D

« previous 1