The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Hello from Scotland

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) I'm an American who lives in Scotland. I go through phases in my reading and have been on a thriller/mystery/suspense kick for the past year. Looking for some can't-put-down books.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 232 comments Hi Annie

I hope you've read some of the very fine Scots crime/thriller authors - my faves are Christopher Brookmyre, Val McDermid and, of course, Ian Rankin - although I think Kate Atkinson probably counts as an honorary Scot!

message 3: by Annette (new)

Annette Macintyre | 70 comments Just finished "Orphan X" by Gregg Hurwitz, first in a new series. I like all of Hurwitz's many books. Am currently reading Ian Rankin's "Even Dogs...", I like all of his Rebus books (based in Scotland). Jonathan Kellerman, Tess Gerritsen, Patricia Cornwell, Robert Crais ("The Promise" is a lovely book esp. If you like dogs). I have lists of many more if you're interested.

message 4: by Annette (new)

Annette Macintyre | 70 comments Geez, Paul, can't believe I left out Val!

message 5: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8556 comments Mod
Welcome to the group!

message 6: by Marie-Jo (new)

Marie-Jo Fortis | 118 comments Hi Annie,

And welcome!

How is the weather over there -- in beautiful Scotland?

message 7: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) Hi Marie. Sunny but a cold 5C/40F. That's in my area anyway. Some areas have snow.

message 8: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5391 comments Mod
Welcome to the group, Paul. I've just finished the second Jack Caffery thriller, The Treatment by Mo Hayder. It's an intense series so far.

message 9: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35301 comments Welcome, Annie. I like Stuart MacBride and Ian Rankin. Also enjoy Aline Templeton. But John Dickson Carr is one of my all- time favorites for locked room mysteries.

Also like John Sandford, Robert Crais, and James Lee Burke.

message 10: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) Thanks. I'm not a big fan of police mysteries (just on tv). Some of the ones I've enjoyed recently - Girl on the Train, Follow you Home, Dark Places, Gone Girl, The Ocean at the End of the Lane....

message 11: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35301 comments Sorry, I couldn't even finish Girl on the Train.

message 12: by Miss M (new)

Miss M | 560 comments Hi Annie,
The Good Liar was a great read for me, along the line of those you listed. Also, Alex Marwood's books are good in that vein.