The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2016 > 20.3 - Best Review: mstan's Task: Returning to My Source of Inspiration...

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 06, 2016 04:41AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17603 comments Mod
20.3 - Best Review: mstan's Task: Returning to My Source of Inspiration...

Since I won the best review contest with a book by Elena Ferrante, and have gotten hooked on the Neapolitan Quartet, I thought it would be nice to pay a little tribute to the work that was the source of my inspiration for last season's review contest.

You can choose any ONE of the options below. Indicate the option when you post.

Option 1: Read a book by Elena Ferrante.

Option 2: Read a book that was originally written in Italian. This should be evident in the book's information page from the "Original title." (I can help double-check this if needed!)

Option 3: Read a book by an author who is new to you this season. You must have claimed at least one other task with a book by this author by the time you post your completion of my task. Each book must be written by a single author; no co-authors or multiple contributors.
Required: LINK to the Completed Task post that uses the previous book you read by the author (see Help Thread post 4) AND state that the author is new to you this season.

Enjoy! Or as the Italians would say, divertitevi!

message 2: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments reserved

message 3: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments reserved

message 4: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 06, 2016 04:52AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17603 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

To link to a specific post:
Click on the time stamp on the upper right in the gray post heading. Copy the url and include it in your post.
If you would like to form a link there are instructions in "(some html is ok)" above the post box.

Information required for a task, such as an original title, must appear in the Goodreads record when you post a completed task. If information in a Goodreads record is incorrect or incomplete, you may ask a Goodreads librarian to update the record if possible. You may ask for help in anyone with librarian status

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7595 comments nice task mstan - because i was just trying to figure out where to put More Than Pancakes, since I just read More Than Cookies for the poptart task ;)

message 6: by Teresa Jo (new)

Teresa Jo (teresajo) | 248 comments Question about option 3 - it states this must be an author that is new to you and then also that we must have posted another task using a book by this author - so we need to read a 2nd book by an author where we are reading a 1st book for another task?

So the book I just read and posted for 30.6 is book 1 in a series by a new to me author. I can read book 2 in that series for this task?

Just wanted to clarify my understanding. :)
Thanks!

message 7: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Teresa Jo wrote: "Question about option 3 - it states this must be an author that is new to you and then also that we must have posted another task using a book by this author - so we need to read a 2nd book by an a..."

That's right!

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 704 comments Does an author count as "new to me" if I have read her under another name?
I have read books by Sherrilyn Kenyon but not Kinley MacGregor

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1552 comments I was wondering where to fit an Elena Ferrante book. You have made it as easy as can be!

message 10: by mstan (last edited Mar 07, 2016 05:22AM) (new)

mstan | 876 comments Cathy wrote: "Does an author count as "new to me" if I have read her under another name?
I have read books by Sherrilyn Kenyon but not Kinley MacGregor"

Hi Cathy, I've checked with the mods and would prefer to stick with the rule mentioned in Section I, B of the FAQs, i.e. the author's pseudonym is considered separately from his actual name. So if you have read Sherrilyn Kenyon before this challenge, you can consider Kinley MacGregor a new-to-you author. You would need to claim at least one other task with a Kinley MacGregor book before you can make a claim with a Kinley MacGregor book for my task. You'd have to ensure that the name Kinley MacGregor is reflected on the book's main information page.

If however you read a book by Sherrilyn MacGregor for the first time in this challenge, you can't read a book written under her pseudonym Kinley MacGregor for my task, as they are considered two separate authors.

message 11: by mstan (last edited Mar 07, 2016 05:23AM) (new)

mstan | 876 comments Meg wrote: "I was wondering where to fit an Elena Ferrante book. You have made it as easy as can be!"

Yippee! Enjoy, Meg!

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) | 87 comments hi,

I would like to read Excursion to Tindari by Andrea Camilleri , the original is in Italian La gita a Tindari

would this work for Option 2?

message 13: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Christine wrote: "hi,

I would like to read Excursion to Tindari by Andrea Camilleri , the original is in Italian La gita a Tindari

would this work for Option 2?"

Oh my goodness, sorry for this tremendously late reply, Christine! Yes, that works!