Authors-Readers Connect discussion

QUESTIONS FOR MODERATOR DAVID

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Kummer | 622 comments Mod
David Duane Kummer

This is the place to ask any questions you have. I will answer them very quickly. Have a nice day and I hope you're having fun ;)

message 2: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 1015 comments Mod
Hi, David--my question--finally!

You stated that one of your reasons for this forum is for readers and authors to connect. Do you think it would be helpful if you specified what genre or genres will be discussed here?

We've all seen how some forums are just for Thrillers, and some are just for romance. And one of the forums you and I are a part of, is for all genres.

I feel if you're specific, it will draw more interest than just being general. Let me know what you think.

message 3: by David (new)

Yes that sounds like a great idea. Being more specific would be good. Are you thinking a thread for each or the group in whole being for one genre?

message 4: by Groovy (new)

That's a very good question. But this is your baby, David. What kind of crowd do you want to draw? One group for your favorite genre? Or open to diversity?

I'm a suspense, thriller, romance reader and author. I'm not into YA, Detective forensics type of books, general fiction, (not to mention erotica) It all depends on who you want to draw--right?

message 5: by David (new)

Yes that's true again. Thank you for your insight. This is something I will look into much more tmmorrow. I'm gonna sleep on it fod the night.
Thank you :) I really appreciate tge feedback. Hopefully we can discuss this more tommorrow

message 6: by sucre'd fiend (new)

sucre'd fiend (sucredfiend) | 2 comments Is there no folder for Paranormal?
You could add it in with Fantasy, if you don't want to create a new one.

message 7: by David (new)

Right you are. My apologies. I will get to that asap

message 8: by David (new)

I have now fixed the problemo

message 9: by Gaines (last edited Mar 16, 2016 12:17AM) (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 86 comments Groovy wrote: "I feel if you're specific, it will draw more interest than just being general. Let me know what you think. "

Hey, just my 2 cents' worth here, but one of the things I like about this forum is that unlike most other Goodreads forums, it is *not* genre-specific, which frees us up greatly. It means I can discuss themes common to multiple genres of literature -- from horror to space opera to Chuck Palahniuk (what the heck IS Chuck Palahniuk, anyways???) to romance to ... the sky's the limit.

So if we want to discuss genres individually, fine, but I'd prefer it be done in folders (threads? sections?) for the various genres, rather than full-on making Authors-Readers Connect be aimed at any one genre in particular.

That being said, if the moderator and/or the majority of group members would rather narrow it down to a specific genre, I'll go with the flow. Again, this is just my 2 cents' worth :-)

message 10: by David (new)

I agree Gaines and that's what Ive decided. Id prefer to have folder for each genre instead of the group be focused on one.

message 11: by Groovy (new)

I guess I said it the wrong way. But when I said to be specific, I meant exactly what you're saying here. Have individual threads for each genre, not just one for general stuff. I like variety in forums, being specific to one or two is binding.

And also, specific as to what kind of crowd you want to draw--like would you include erotica? Or children's literature? I hope I explained that better...

message 12: by David (new)

Yes that makes sense. And to answer those questions, I'd really include anything there's an audience for. For instance, if I get two or three members clambering for me to add an Erotica folder, I would add one, although I may not participate in it much myself.

message 13: by Gaines (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 86 comments Groovy wrote: "I guess I said it the wrong way. But when I said to be specific, I meant exactly what you're saying here. Have individual threads for each genre, not just one for general stuff. I like variety in f..."

Ah, I see. In that case I completely agree with you, Groovy :-)

message 14: by David (new)

Of course! Everybody agrees with you if you're groovy (Groovy)

message 15: by Groovy (new)

;)

message 16: by Phil (new)

Phil Nemethy | 35 comments Hey David, per what we were talking about in "Off Topic" - what'd you think about making a board where we can discuss, get feedback, brainstorm, etc. projects we're currently working on?

message 17: by David (new)

That sounds like a great idea. Lol you've always got good ones. Are you talking about a new folder or what?

message 18: by Phil (new)

Phil Nemethy | 35 comments That's what I was thinking - well, I guess you'd call it a folder. Where anybody could start a new thread in it about their current project.

message 19: by David (new)

Yeah that'd be a folder. I'll get to it :)

message 20: by Groovy (new)

David, before I crumble to my sick bed, my question is:

Isn't the Group Rules pop-up supposed to disappear after you post your first comment? Or is it your plan for it to keep popping up?

(I thought it was a good question:)

message 21: by Gaines (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 86 comments I've noticed that bug in multiple forums, not just this one. It's kind of annoying but so far I haven't figured out how to fix it.

message 22: by David (new)

Hmm I intended to make it disappear after the first comment. I'll look into it, folks. And good luck Groovy! Take care of yourself, hear?

message 23: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 30 comments Hi David, I just joined.
Can you please add a folder for historical/mythic fiction? My books are retellings of classical Greek myths, so they can fall under historical fiction as well as mythic fiction. I'd appreciate if you could set up a folder.
thanks in advance.

message 24: by David (new)

Yes I definitely will! You may be able to yourself. I don't remember the settings I chose

message 25: by Tamara (last edited Jul 16, 2018 03:14AM) (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 30 comments David,
Thank you for setting up the folder for historical/mythic fiction. I have listed my two novels on there. But I screwed up. It kept putting my two folders above your post of Self-Promotion for Authors. I don't know how to move the folders to get yours back on top. I'm sorry, but I'm still not good at figuring out the navigation. I'd appreciate it if you could move your folder back up to the top.
sorry for the inconvenience.

message 26: by David (new)

I think that's my bad! I didn't pin the post like I should have. Don't worry about it, I'll fix it :) My mistake

message 27: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 30 comments David wrote: "I think that's my bad! I didn't pin the post like I should have. Don't worry about it, I'll fix it :) My mistake"

Thanks.

message 28: by David (new)

Sure thing! Will be up in a few minutes

message 29: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 4 comments I'm looking for a specific mechanism that allows the author (me, eventually ) to gather together in something like a chat room (I think. Not anywhere close to being techie myself.) so I can "meet" my (eventual) readers as a group online.

Am I in the right place? Is that form of interactive-ness possible here?

If not, can anyone suggest "where" I might go to achieve my intention for my readers?

Thank you!

message 30: by David (new)

In Goodreads Groups, you're more likely to interact with other authors. I think, if you're looking for something like a chatroom setting and having a group with readers, you might find that Facebook Groups works well. You could set up a group with your fans, theoretically. Also, having a Facebook page is a nice way to interact, because the comment sections can sometimes work as a chat-type environment.