What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Short story about the essence of true richdom/prosperity

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeffrey (last edited Mar 02, 2016 04:13PM) (new)

Jeffrey | 8 comments So years ago a story got read to me in high school.
It has stuck with me all this time and I'm dying to find the book it's from.

A traveller meets a certain person (shall call him 'x' from now on) and stays the night at his place.
X and the traveller start a conversation and in this dialogue x tells the traveller that he possesses all the riches the world has to offer (the way in which he tells this exactly I can not recall)
The traveller goes wild with excitement and spreads the news the very next day in a town nearby. The inhabitants get wild with excitement upon hearing the news as well and rapidly visit person x massively.
Person x then tells the crowd that he indeed possesses all the riches he could possibly wish for; the glistening reflection of dew he declares as being his gold for example. He also presents some other non-materialistic things as his great richdom.
The crowd feels cheated and become enraged. The story ends with the hanging of person x.

Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Jeffrey, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 3: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 8 comments Still looking :(

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Jeffrey ~~
Keep looking. Sometimes it can take quite awhile before a book is solved.
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 176 where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!