The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2016 > 20.1 - MegSCL's Task: Pick A Card

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 03, 2016 03:34AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17500 comments Mod
20.1 - Most Improved - MegSCL's task: Pick a card

First, draw a random card. You can use a real shuffled deck or go to random.org (don’t change any of the options on the screen, just hit ‘Draw Cards’ at Step 4). Use the first card drawn to define your book.

This is a ONE book task. The book you read must meet the suit AND the face value of your card as described below.

>The suit you draw determines the book genre. One of the listed genres must be present on the book's main page genre list….
Hearts: Romance or Young Adult or Mystery
Spades: Crime or Science Fiction or Memoir
Diamonds: Fantasy or Non Fiction or Chick Lit
Clubs: Historical Fiction or Contemporary or Horror

>If you draw a number card, this determines the number of letters OR words in the title. Aces are 1.
For example, if you draw a 2, you need a book with a two letter title like Us OR a two word title like Jane Eyre.
You can include subtitles if you wish but don’t have to. Ignore symbols and punctuation when counting letters or words.

>If you draw a court card you need to find the letter: J for Jack, Q for Queen, K for King somewhere in the title or subtitle.

Examples:
Card=King of Spades The Cuckoo's Calling (K in title and Crime genre)
Card=Nine of Diamonds Feverborn (9 letters in title and Fantasy Genre)

Required: State the card you drew, the suit genre you selected and whether your title count is letters or words.

message 2: by Meg (last edited Mar 07, 2016 02:32PM) (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1523 comments Notes:
Digits count as letters. So Size 12 Is Not Fat is 5 words and 14 letters
Punctuation and other symbols do not count. So Bone & Bread has 2 words and 9 letters.
Embedded genres are fine. So science fiction > fantasy can be used for spades or diamonds

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1523 comments reserved

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17500 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments I love the way this was done. Nice job. Something different and new and fun. :)

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim | 640 comments I drew a 5 of diamonds. Would this work for a 5-word title in the fantasy genre? The Book of Lost Tales, Part One Would Part One be considered a subtitle and therefore could be ignored?

Thanks.

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1523 comments I think a subtitle needs to be indicated by a colon. But part one seems like it should be a subtitle. Maybe you could ask a goodreads librarian to change it?

message 8: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1523 comments JennRenee wrote: "I love the way this was done. Nice job. Something different and new and fun. :)"

Thank you!

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7545 comments so i drew a 9 of hearts - so that means a Romance or Young Adult or Mystery with either 9 letters or 9 words in the title - to make sure i'm tracking

message 10: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments What about books that have "embedded" genres?

For example mystery > crime
science fiction > fantasy
historical fiction > romance

message 11: by Chandni (new)

Chandni (chandnin31) | 338 comments This book has an ampersand, would this count as two words or three words? Bone & Bread

message 12: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1523 comments Dee wrote: "so i drew a 9 of hearts - so that means a Romance or Young Adult or Mystery with either 9 letters or 9 words in the title - to make sure i'm tracking"

Correct!

message 13: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1523 comments Pia wrote: "What about books that have "embedded" genres?

historical fiction > romance"

Embedded genres are allowed

message 14: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1523 comments Chandni wrote: "This book has an ampersand, would this count as two words or three words? Bone & Bread"

I will make the ruling that punctuation is not counted. So Bone & Bread has 2 words and 9 letters.

message 15: by Pia (last edited Mar 02, 2016 10:42PM) (new)

Pia | 1073 comments So we can use them for either genre, right?

message 16: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1110 comments can you please verify this book for contemporary genre? It is the very bottom one.

Blood Vines

message 17: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1523 comments Pia wrote: "So we can use them for either genre, right?"

Yep, so science fiction > fantasy can be used for spades or diamonds

message 18: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1523 comments Donna wrote: "can you please verify this book for contemporary genre? It is the very bottom one.

Blood Vines"

verified :)

message 19: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Meg wrote: "Pia wrote: "So we can use them for either genre, right?"

Yep, so science fiction > fantasy can be used for spades or diamonds"

Great! I haven't yet drawn a card, but I was looking through my books and many have embedded genres.

Thanks!

message 20: by Trish (last edited Mar 03, 2016 04:36AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2468 comments Meg wrote: "Pia wrote: "What about books that have "embedded" genres?

Embedded genres are allowed"

Okay, so just to double check, a book that has the genre Mystery > Crime, that would be okay for both Hearts and Spades?

message 21: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1523 comments Trish wrote: "Meg wrote: "Pia wrote: "What about books that have "embedded" genres?

Embedded genres are allowed"

Okay, so j..."

Correct!

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3655 comments Meg wrote: "Chandni wrote: "This book has an ampersand, would this count as two words or three words? Bone & Bread"

I will make the ruling that punctuation is not counted. So ..."

Actually, Meg, an ampersand is not punctuation .... it's a logogram representing the word "and"

message 23: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1523 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Meg wrote: "Chandni wrote: "This book has an ampersand, would this count as two words or three words? Bone & Bread"

I will make the ruling that punctuation is not counted. So ..."..."

Yikes! Maybe I will check this with the mods

message 24: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1523 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Meg wrote: "Chandni wrote: "This book has an ampersand, would this count as two words or three words? Bone & Bread"

I will make the ruling that punctuation is not counted. So ..."..."

I have decreed that all symbols, punctuation and logograms do not count as letters. Thanks for checking

message 25: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1872 comments Could I get verification for Contemporary genre for Babyville

message 26: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1523 comments Lois wrote: "Could I get verification for Contemporary genre for Babyville"

verified

message 27: by Ana (new)

Ana | 331 comments I drew a spade does this book work Stardust by Neil Gaiman the main page genre is Science Fiction Fantasy

message 28: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1523 comments The genre is OK, so as long as the word/letter count works that is fine.