Start by marking “Babyville” as Want to Read:
Babyville

Babyville

Meet Julia, a wildly successful television producer who appears to have the picture-perfect life. But beneath the surface, things are not as perfect as they seem. Stuck in a loveless relationship with her boyfriend, Mark, Julia thinks a baby is the answer . . . but she may want a baby more than she wants her boyfriend. Will a trip to New York City with a jet-setting friend ...more
Published March 23rd 2004 by Broadway Books (first published September 6th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Babyville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babyville

Start your review of Babyville
Katie B
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it

My experience with Jane Green novels in the past has varied from really enjoyed to a meh type feeling. This book falls somewhere in the middle. Given the reviews for this one were all over the place, I went into this with low expectations. That probably helped and for the most part this was a decent read and I enjoyed the female characters. But to be honest I absolutely hated the last few pages and how one of the character's story line was wrapped up. Like I wanted to throw the book at
Candice
May 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
Oh my. Having a hard time with this one-- I'm about 115 pages in and its pretty insipid; total SNORESVILLE and predictable... I might have to give up soon... I have no idea how someone could give this anything more than 2 stars... I keep thinking it might pick up or get interesting or better...

yeah, if I could give it 1.5 stars I would, but overall, yeasch. half star would go for the humiliation at the end of the book heard over the baby monitor-- wow, that was terrible. Other than that, ugh.
Cristina
Nov 03, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: The ladies!
This is another that I already have forgotten what happened. It's a good "nothing else to read" book that won't disappoint with lower expectations.

The problem with Jane Green novels is that after reading one, you've kind of "read them all". HOWEVER, I still enjoy them. They are easy and go so fast. They make great vacation books.
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit, 2003, jane-green
This was not my favorite Jane Green novel.

It was the story of three women - Julia, Maeve and Sam. All three women are struggling with their relationships and - more truthfully - their identity.

I get that we - as women - struggle with who we are and how to define ourselves apart from our "better half" and our ability to procreate. I really do get that. I guess I struggled with taking it seriously with this book - which is probably why I didn't like it too much. I had little empathy for any of t
Alyssa
Apr 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
I don't know how this book is possibly rated so highly on goodreads. The story itself seemed generally relatable and appealing (mid-30s woman feels the biological clock ticking, wants to have a baby with boyfriend she isn't interested in so much after 4 years, she's jealous of friends with babies). I was interested to read it because it would represent "mommy lit" as a subgenre of chick lit. However, the writing was SO awful that I could not finish the book. I gave it a chance and read the first ...more
Julie Hedlund
I tried to force myself to finish this book after reading the "Julia" segment. Ultimately, I failed. I am an avid reader of all types of books, including chick lit. As the mother of two young children, I had looked forward to some light summer reading about women going through the same phase of life. However, these women are nothing like me or any of the many thirty-something women and mothers that I know. For example, how many women are DESPERATE to get pregnant, and then dash off to New York, ...more
Kelly Lamb
Dec 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
I loved Jemima J, and thought Mr. Maybe was so-so. I was prepared to go either way with this one, and I did enjoy it quite a bit. I thought the 3 perspectives in the novel were interesting, and I took a particular liking to Maeve. Green did a great job of weaving all the stories together. A fun, light read!
Lauren
Apr 02, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is about three women in their thirties, Julia, Maeve, and Sam.

Julia is a producer with a live in boyfriend who is "trapped" in a boring relationship. Like so many people I know in real life, she realizes deep down that she is not happy, but after investing 4 years in a relationship she is determined to make it work. She figures that the spark always goes out in a relationship. Julia, like so many people in real life, doesn't know how to make herself happy and when her boyfriend Mark d
Redfox5
I thought I had read this before but I couldn't remember anything about it, so maybe I didn't. One chick lit book is very much like another. This is the story of 3 women - Julia, Sam and Maeve(seriously, whose called Maeve nowdays?).

Jane tells the story in three sections, one at a time which doesn't always seem to work. I wish she had alternated viewpoints in chapters as we seemed to miss some important bits of the story.

I really wanted to see Julia's reaction to Mark getting Maeve pregnant
Angela
Dec 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Quite possibly one of the worst books I ever read. It makes women look flightly and indecisive without really addressing serious issues the characters face in a way that is appropriate to their problems. Also, if you are even remotely thinking of having a baby, don't read this book! It makes having kids sound like a death sentence!
Hannah Polley
I think you would have to be pretty strongly into babies in order to enjoy this book. I did like it but I found it slow in places and it didn’t always keep my interest. I also really wanted to shake some of the main characters in places.

This book has three main characters who know each other and it tells the stories of each. Julia, who is desperately trying to have a baby with a man she knows is not right for her. Maeve, who has gotten pregnant after a one night stand and doesn’t want to keep th
Michelle
A light read that reminds me a little of the style of Sophie Kinsella. I liked the way the book was presented in three sections, each focusing on one woman’s experience. I loved that each story overlapped as they all know each other, it really brought the story together nicely.

Brooke
Oct 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
It has been a while since I delved into the British Chick-Lit scene....the title of this book caught my attention from the book share table at my gym and I'm so glad it did! While not a stellar piece of fiction, I really enjoyed this book. Being early on in my pregnancy when reading it (4 months) I was able to relate with most of the characters & loved their growth. Even when some of the characters were doing not-so-happy things, you could understand where they were coming from (blinders on to r ...more
Connie
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Julia wants a baby desperately and is unable to conceive. She focuses so hard on becoming pregnant to the point that she drives her boyfriend away. Maeve almost breaks out in a rash at the thought of being a mother. However, a night of - oops - unprotected sex changes all of that for her. At first, she tries to convince herself that she couldn't possibly be pregnant and tries to ignore the whole thing. Then, she is determined to have an abortion yet keeps putting it off until it's too late. Sama ...more
Jackie Bromagin
This was a re-read for me. When I was not really reading very much about 5-6 years ago, this was a book that I read and re-read multiple times. It's sort of weird to think about a 24 year old single woman who doesn't want kinds rereading a book called Babyville but alas.... that was my life.

I went on a bit of a chick lit binge at the end of November. I read two Sophie Kinsella books and then I decided I wanted to read one of my old favorites so I did.

Babyville is about 3 women in London. Julia
Melynda Yesenia
Feb 14, 2008 rated it did not like it
i'm really glad this was a trashbook, totally free.

total, unabashed chicklit. however, this also managed to keep me interested past the first three pages which is usually all i can stand of the genre. a quick pace, imperfect characters and rotating narrators all help to temper the fluff-factor of the story and writing style.

still, i couldn't ultimately care. some of the resolutions refrained from being totally cookie-cutter perfect but i still wanted one of the women to become a real person-- p
Abby
Sep 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
As the title would suggest, this book is all about babies. Trying to get pregnant, trying not to get pregnant, and adjusting to life after pregnancy with a newborn.

What could have been an interesting look at the topic was spoiled by three of the most unlikeable main characters I have ever encountered in a fictional book, as well as a completely, pat, happy ending undeserved by the characters. All three women were completely selfish and self absorbed, and it's next to immpossible to enjoy a book
Carrie
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked most of this book--I debated between 3 and 4 stars.

The story is split into thirds, three different women's stories, although all three are interconnected. To put it bluntly, I hated the first story. I found Julia's character so self-centered it was almost intolerable. But then I really enjoyed the second story and really connected with Maeve's journey. Finally, the third story, Sam's, I went back and forth on. I also wasn't a huge fan of Sam's, although I was more sympathetic towards he
Jennifer Cason
Jun 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have no one to blame but myself for reading this. I knew it would be 1 star when I bought it. I knew it on page 10, 20, 30 and so on. I've read a past Jane Green and the best I can say is that she is consistent with her 1 star writing. I'd like to find some way to soften this review. Give it up as a brainless summer read, but really...don't do it. There are just so many better "bad" summer books out there.
Donna
Apr 04, 2009 rated it did not like it
This rating/review is based on getting to about page 60 of this book. I couldn't read past that. I found the storyline to be not all that interesting. Hardly any of the main characters were likable people. And it was coarse and vulgar. After 60 pages, I knew I couldn't read another couple of hundred pages of this. Disappointing chick lit!
Emily
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
When i read this book i just couldn't put it down i wanted to know what was going to happen next for the characters in the book. I love the fact that each of the three main women in the book are concentrated on with there own little mini books in the book...
Suraima
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really liked it. Very realistic about relationships, babies and what sometimes goes on in womens heads. Has some really nice twists wrapped in there as well. I am really glad I read it and I would recommend it to any female friends.
penelope_bathwater
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like Jane green because most of her books read like a more dramatic long episode of Friends with a sprinkle of Bridget Jones. This was the first jg book I read in a few years, and it was good to be back in the land of teacups and tidy endings.
Jane
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good

Hits super close to home (especially the third part). Funny and charming and actually well-written. The characters feel human, with all the foibles and uncertainties of real people, ones I could be friends with being a career woman in my thirties.
The Drowsy Bookworm
3 Stars
Reread yeeaaars after my first one. This time I actually have children to give me perspective. I don't think I enjoyed it as much this time around; but it was still entertaining. That baby monitor scene still makes me cringe!
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great easy sunbed read like Jane Green knows how to pull together perfectly
Jess (Shepherdjel)
I thought this was ok, I really hope and pray that I never have to deal with the stress with having a baby, it is scary how stressful it can be and how it can sometimes destroy a relationship.
Gina
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I've enjoyed a good Jane Green book now and again, and this one was fine, but not something I'd say, "ooh, you don't want to miss this!" Fairly predictable with lots of whiny women in it.
Aimee
Aug 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Not my favourite jane green book sadly.
May 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
I can not say how much I HATED this book; I listened to the audiobook or I would not have finished the book at all. The author created some of the most unlikable characters I've read about. These people are immature & can't have adult conversations, cheat on each other, lie to best friends, betray best friends, etc. I could barely tolerate Julia & Sam but absolutely despised Mark and Maeve. I was pulling for horrible things to happen to them all hoping they'd all end up miserable.

Julia & Sam's s

• Boy Meets Girl (Boy, #2)
  • Diary of a Mad Bride
  • Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4)
  •  Angels (Walsh Family, #3)
  • Can You Keep a Secret?
  • Sleeping Arrangements
  • The Little Lady Agency (The Little Lady Agency, #1)
  • Last Chance Saloon
  • Baby Proof
  • Slightly Settled (Slightly, #2)
  • Thin, Rich, Pretty
  • The Undomestic Goddess
  • Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)
  • Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married
  • Heart of the Matter
  • Queen of Babble Gets Hitched (Queen of Babble, #3)
  • Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1)
  • Shopaholic & Baby (Shopaholic, #5)
Jane Green's eighteenth novel, Falling, is soon to be released with Berkley/Penguin; she is the author of sixteen previous New York Times Bestselling novels, and known as one of the world's leading authors in women's fiction, with over ten million books in print, and translations in over 25 languages.

Previous novels have included The Beach House, Second Chance, Jemima J, and Tempting Fate.

She joi