2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2016 > Jamieson's 70 Books Reading Count

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Jan 01, 2017 06:26AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments I'm hoping to read 70 books this year!

Genre:
Action: 1
Adventure: 2
Classics: 6
Contemporary: 9
Fantasy: 30
Science Fiction: 8
Fiction: 1
Historical Fiction: 4
Horror: 4
Drama: 4
Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic: 4
Romance: 2
Mystery: 1
Non-Fiction: 2
Paranormal: 5
Steampunk: 1

Length:
Short (<250 pages): 11
Medium (250-500 pages): 53
Long (501-800 pages): 18
Very long (800+ pages): 1

Gender's of the Authors:
Female: 30
Male: 22

Books by Month:
January: 2
February: 5
March: 7
April: 10
May: 9
June: 10
July: 5
August: 7
September: 5
October: 13
November: 7
December: 6

Australian books: 5
Audiobooks 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------
READING CHALLENGES:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's Turn Pages Reading Challenge

Goal: Read 25,000 pages.
COMPLETED !
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The TBR Randomiser Challenge

Step 1: Select the number of books you want to read for this challenge.
Step 2: Go to the “My Books” tab on the top of the Goodreads Page.
Step 3: Bring up your “To-Read” shelf.
Step 4: On the bottom of the page in the middle, go to the “sort” field and select “Random.”
Step 5: Goodreads will generate a random list of books for you.

Start Date: January 1st, 2016
End Date: December 31st, 2016

1: The Potato Factory - Bryce Courtenay
2: The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Brian Selznick ✓
3: Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard ✓
4: Let the Sky Fall - Shannon Messenger ✓
5: The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Gailbraith
6: My Story - Julia Gillard ✓
7: Crow Moon - Anna McKerrow ✓
8: Black Friday - Robert Muchamore ✓
9: Jasper Jones - Craig Silvey ✓
10: Quidditch Through the Ages - J.K Rowling

OTHER LINKS
series tracker
reading corner

message 2: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Apr 11, 2016 12:07AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 1: It's Raining in Mango by Thea Astley It's Raining in Mango - Thea Astley

description
Wresting his family from the easy living of nineteenth-century Sydney, Cornelius Laffey takes them to northern Queensland where thousands of hopefuls are digging for gold in the mud. They confront the horror of Aboriginal dispossession, and Cornelius is sacked for reporting the slaughter. This is an unforgettable tale of the other side of Australia's heritage.

It's Raining in Mango is an Australian contemporary classic. It's narrated by Connie Laffey, who recalls her family's history while lying in a state of concussion. This story felt very real to me, the characters were quirky and each had to overcome their own challenges. Most had more challenge then please in their lives.

I loved that this book did honestly look at the treatment of the Indigenous. I like that it didn't gloss over the darker moments of Australia's history. I also liked that one of the main Indigenous voices was also female!

The females of this text were interesting, genuine characters. They didn't seem one-dimensional in comparison to the males. I became quite attached to Jessica Olive (who died reaching for the Rosella Jam, I love that) and was sad to see her pass the most out of any of them really.

This is such a sprawling story you really do feel you've come to know these characters.

I do think at times it can become a bit confusing, and there were parts I needed to reread to make sure I'd understood correctly. But overall it didn't take away from the story. I loved the Australian-ness of this book.

MY RATING

( ★★★★☆ )

message 3: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Apr 11, 2016 12:08AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 2: An Open Swimmer by Tim Winton An Open Swimmer - Tim Winton

description
Jerra and his best mate Sean set off in a beaten-up old VW to go camping on the coast. Jerra's friends and family want to know when he will finish university, and when he will find a girl. But they don't understand about Sean's mother, Jewel, or the bush, or the fish with the pearl. They think he needs a job but what Jerra is searching for is more elusive. Only the sea, and perhaps the old man who lives in a shack beside it, can help.

okay. I came into this book with high expectations. The last Tim Winton book I read was Cloudstreet and that was just so good, such an emotional and moving read that I was expecting good things. An Open Swimmer is definitely no Cloudstreet.

It basically follows Jerra, who's just trying to figure some stuff out. I don't really know how to explain the plot because? I'm kinda still not really sure. He's very lost, easy to be sympathetic with but kind of hard to connect with? Like, you feel sorry for the guy, but you also kinda just want to smack him over the head and tell him to get his act together.

It's a little confusing at times. You need to slowly piece Jerra's story together but I don't think it's ever really clear, to me anyway. What's revealed is still vague and I wasn't sure what was going on for a lot of it. I wasn't moved by the end, I was just kind of confused -- and ready for it to finish.

The imagery though! The way the setting is described, the way the ocean and the beach is described is just stunning. It's like you're there on the beach yourself. Winton will always have a gift for being able to capture place within pages.

Also there's some magic realism. There's dogs that walk around like people.

I really wanted to like this book more. I might need to come back to it again, maybe pay more attention when reading it ( I specifically remember rushing to finish this and counting down the pages ) but for now I'd say it wasn't one of the best reads, and not Winton's best work. ( I forgive him though, he did write this when he was 19 )

MY RATING

( ★★☆☆☆ )

message 4: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Apr 11, 2016 12:06AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 3: Steelheart (Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Steelheart - Brandon Sanderson

description

Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics. But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his wills.

Nobody fights the Epics...nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.

And David wants in. He wants Steelheart - the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning - and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.

He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge.

Loved this book! I remembered hearing about the basic plot and knowing I'd enjoy this book and I really did. David was a fantastic, funny narrator who's drive really pushed the story. Supprting characters were great, I especially liked Tia and Cody.

The last 100-200 pages of this book were so fast paced, with twists and reveals galore. I LOVED how everything came together so nicely at the end, and how all the loose ends were tied up - but not so nicely it seemed a little TOO easy, you know?

The twists I never saw coming and I gasped sooo thats a good sign. I loved this book, and I only took a star off for some minor character and plot issues that bugged me. Definitely recommend this book to everyone who likes urban fantasy. Fast moving plot with an interesting cast of characters. And not everything is as it seems!

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 5: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Apr 11, 2016 12:14AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 4: No Sugar by Jack Davis No Sugar - Jack Davis

description

The family problems of Western Australian Aborigines in the 1930s (4 acts, 12 men, 8 women).

An important and honest piece of drama looking into the treatment of Indigenous Australian's. Explores eurocentricism in Australia, the infantilisation of the Indigenous, the Stolen Generation and the negative impact of colonialism in Australia.
Definitely an important work. The characters are wonderfully constructed and rich, Gran especially is hilarious and keeps everyone in line. It's only short and yet it packs a punch and I had so much sympathy for the characters. The Nyoongar people are incredibly resilient and strong. As someone who lives in Western Australia and has visited the Moore Rover Settlement, this book felt really real to me. Recommend this book to Australians, especially.
MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 6: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Apr 11, 2016 12:18AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 5: Messenger of Fear (Messenger of Fear, #1) by Michael Grant Messenger of Fear - Michael Grant

description

I remembered my name – Mara. But, standing in that ghostly place, faced with the solemn young man in the black coat with silver skulls for buttons, I could recall nothing else about myself.

And then the games began.

The Messenger sees the darkness in young hearts, and the damage it inflicts upon the world. If they go unpunished, he offers the wicked a game. Win, and they can go free. Lose, and they will live out their greatest fear.

But what does any of this have to do with Mara? She is about to find out . . .

I don't know - just didn't like it much. Slow moving plot, the 'twist' I saw coming a mile away and none of the characters REALLY engaged me. I was just frustrated and confused and disengaged for 300 pages of book.

Super disappointing because I love Michael Grant!

MY RATING
( ★★☆☆☆ )

message 7: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Apr 11, 2016 12:23AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 6: A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

description
'Liberty, equality, fraternity, or death; -- the last, much the easiest to bestow, O Guillotine!'

After eighteen years as a political prisoner in the Bastille, the ageing Doctor Manette is finally released and reunited with his daughter in England. There the lives of two very different men, Charles Darnay, an exiled French aristocrat, and Sydney Carton, a disreputable but brilliant English lawyer, become enmeshed through their love for Lucie Manette. From the tranquil roads of London, they are drawn against their will to the vengeful, bloodstained streets of Paris at the height of the Reign of Terror, and they soon fall under the lethal shadow of La Guillotine.

Good book! Took me a while to get through because of the language but overall I really enjoyed the story. This book is a classic, but despite when it was written it's still just a really good story of love and deceit and revolution.
(I'll admit though, I kind of read this on the recommendation of Tessa Gray and Will Herondale )

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 8: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Nov 07, 2016 11:15PM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 7: Mitosis (Reckoners, #1.5) by Brandon Sanderson Mitosis by Brandon Sanderson

Steelheart may be dead, but Epics still plague Newcago and David and the Reckoners have vowed to fight back.

A nice novella to read before Firefight. Really appreciated the drawings of the Epics inside.

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 9: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4528 comments I think 50 is a great goal!

Do you enjoy the Steelheart series?

message 10: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Mar 09, 2016 01:27AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments I'm a little behind on my challenge right now but I'm sure I'll get there.

I am really liking it so far! I love the action and the general idea of the series. I think the first book was better then the second but I'm pretty excited to read Calamity since it's just come out !

message 11: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Apr 11, 2016 12:05AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 8: Firefight (Reckoners #2) by Brandon Sanderson Firefight (Reckoners, #2) by Brandon Sanderson

They told David it was impossible—that even the Reckoners had never killed a High Epic. Yet, Steelheart—invincible, immortal, unconquerable—is dead. And he died by David's hand.

Eliminating Steelheart was supposed to make life more simple. Instead, it only made David realize he has questions. Big ones. And there's no one in Newcago who can give him the answers he needs.

Babylon Restored, the old borough of Manhattan, has possibilities, though. Ruled by the mysterious High Epic, Regalia, David is sure Babylon Restored will lead him to what he needs to find. And while entering another city oppressed by a High Epic despot is a gamble, David's willing to risk it. Because killing Steelheart left a hole in David's heart. A hole where his thirst for vengeance once lived. Somehow, he filled that hole with another Epic—Firefight. And he's willing to go on a quest darker, and more dangerous even, than the fight against Steelheart to find her, and to get his answers.

MY RATING
( ★★★☆☆ )

message 12: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4528 comments Jamieson wrote: "I'm a little behind on my challenge right now but I'm sure I'll get there.

I am really liking it so far! I love the action and the general idea of the series. I think the first book was better t..."

That's nice! I have Steelheart on my shelf and the next will arrive soon :)

message 13: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Good luck, Jamieson! I'm excited to read more Sanderson, and the Reckoners series is on my list.

message 14: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments Cassandra wrote: "Good luck, Jamieson! I'm excited to read more Sanderson, and the Reckoners series is on my list."

Thankyou so much Cassandra!! The Reckoner's series is really good! It's the only Brandon Sanderson I've read but I'm thinking I might read some of his other stuff as well.

message 15: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 9: Welcome to Shadowhunter Academy (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #1) by Cassandra Clare

description
After living as a Mundane and a Vampire, Simon never thought he would become a Shadowhunter, but today he begins his training at Shadowhunter Academy.

This short story follows the adventures of Simon Lewis, star of the #1 New York Times bestselling series The Mortal Instruments, as he trains to become a Shadowhunter.

Finally getting to these! I kind of put them off because I'm not a huuuge fam of novella's - and also because I was hoping I'd be able to wait for the book and read all of them at the same time rather than in short chunks. But then I found out I might want to read these if I was going to understand all the references in Lady Midnight and I thought I better get onto them.

This is said to be the most boring of the novella's - if so that's good news for me because I LOVED this !! I was so happy to see George Lovelace starring - I'm always interested in reading about the descendants of the TID characters.

This novella allowed for a bit of worldbuilding which was good but I think the standout of this was the development of Simon and his characterisation. The change he's undergone since City of Heavenly Fire is enormous and the effect that's had on him is communicated so well. It's heartbreaking to see the effect CoHF has had on him and it's easy to sympathise.

Yet at the sae time he's still that nerd guy who makes Star Trek jokes and I love it.

Really excited to keep on with these short stories. Simon has always been one of my favourite TMI characters!

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 16: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I've heard that Reckoners is pretty different than the rest of his work. If you like high fantasy, I can vouch that The Way of Kings is great, but it's pretty long. I've heard good things about the Mistborn series, and those books aren't as long.

message 17: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments I've heard really good things about Mistborns as well. That was what I was thinking I'd pick up next from Sanderson. I've added The Way of Kings into my to-read. It looks really good, thankyou!

message 18: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Mar 19, 2016 05:21AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 10. Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1) by Cassandra Clare

description
The Shadowhunters of Los Angeles star in the first novel in Cassandra Clare’s newest series, The Dark Artifices, a sequel to the internationally bestselling Mortal Instruments series. Lady Midnight is a Shadowhunters novel.

It’s been five years since the events of City of Heavenly Fire that brought the Shadowhunters to the brink of oblivion. Emma Carstairs is no longer a child in mourning, but a young woman bent on discovering what killed her parents and avenging her losses.

Together with her parabatai Julian Blackthorn, Emma must learn to trust her head and her heart as she investigates a demonic plot that stretches across Los Angeles, from the Sunset Strip to the enchanted sea that pounds the beaches of Santa Monica. If only her heart didn’t lead her in treacherous directions…

Making things even more complicated, Julian’s brother Mark—who was captured by the faeries five years ago—has been returned as a bargaining chip. The faeries are desperate to find out who is murdering their kind—and they need the Shadowhunters’ help to do it. But time works differently in faerie, so Mark has barely aged and doesn’t recognize his family. Can he ever truly return to them? Will the faeries really allow it?

Glitz, glamours, and Shadowhunters abound in this heartrending opening to Cassandra Clare’s Dark Artifices series.

OH BOY! Literally my most anticipated book of 2016 and I LOVED IT so much. I kinda went into it not knowing too much. I didn't sniff out any info on the characters/plot. I didn't read much, if anything, Cassie said about the book. I wanted to go in untainted and I'm glad I did.

I loved this book from the get-go. From page 1 it was action-packed. Such an entertaining read that kept me on the edge of my seat. LOVED the twists and turns, and thought the character development in this book was far superior to any other character Cassie has written. These characters just had alot more depth. I'm glad - I was worried Emma would be a knock off of Jace and Julian would be Simon and it wasn't like that at all and I'm so so happy.

Loved it so much! Can't believe we need to wait until 2017 for book 2.

( also this book is stunning. The cover art is amazing and the spine is really nice? It just, it looks really good on my bookshelf. I like to see a nicely decorated spine )

MY RATING
( ★★★★★ )

message 19: by Renee (new)

Renee Tudor (reneelkt) I'm reading it too, and also love it! It will be hard to wait for the sequel!

message 20: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments I can't believe I waited so long and it's done already. Now I need to wait another long year. It's worth it though, I loved Lady Midnight so much!

message 21: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 11. Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee

It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

I've been wanting to read this book for ages !! I'm so happy I finally got to it.

I loved the concept and world in Angelfall. I really enjoyed reading about the angels - I found them to be so interesting and I really hope we get to see more of their culture as the books go on.

I loved that the angels weren't really everything they seemed - not everything Penryn presented at the beginning. The politics between the angels is really interesting to me because - well I study politics and find fictional politics just as interesting.

The characters weren't generic or tropey which I liked. I liked that Penryn was both hard and soft. She does seem very, very similar to Katniss Everdeen in many ways though which kind of annoyed me just the tiniest bit? But it was okay. Raffe was a great character and I can't believe I didn't pick up so much of the stuff that was revealed about him earlier. I think sometimes he felt a little fake? But I do think that was part of him being angelic and all.

The plot was a little sluggish at times which led to me taking a star off, but the ending was wild, honestly and so much went down. I like how it didn't have a generic 'rescue, happily ever after' ending because they seem kind of unrealistic to me at times. BUt this ending wasn't like that it was good.

I LOVED the grittiness. Some bits of this book were gruesome and creeped me out a little, but I actually really like that.

I loved this book, can't wait to pick up #2. Also, the cover is really pretty.

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 22: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 12: The Tattooed Heart (Messenger of Fear, #2) by Michael Grant

Mara has already witnessed more evil as the Messenger’s apprentice than most people do in their lifetime, but the games continue.

The Messenger leads Mara to the funeral of a Muslim boy named Aimal, who died standing up for his people, and then to an abandoned store, where they discover Graciella, a girl battling addiction. The all-knowing Messenger recognizes that they are victims of heinous crimes. Mara and Messenger will find the wicked—those who act out of selfishness and greed, and others who become violent because of prejudice and hate.

But Mara and Messenger pay a price too. For every person who is offered justice, they will wear a tattoo that symbolizes the heart of the crime. And as Mara delves deeper into her harsh reality, she is suprirsed to realize that part of her is drawn to the sometimes compassionate Messenger. In spite of all the terror she and Messenger inflict, Mara will discover that caring in this world is the hardest part of all.

The second book in New York Times bestselling author Michael Grant’s Messenger of Fear series, The Tattooed Heart combines fantasy with real-world horror stories to create a satisfying conclusion.

A h - Messenger of Fear. Man. I hated the first one. But I heard #2 was better, and I have faith in Michael Grant as an author.
I'm happy I stuck with it, because I really enjoyed this book and thought it was much, much better than the first.

Many of the questions left unanswered in book one were finally answered, and the characters were given more development and backstories. One of the main reasons I stuck with the book was because I heard you hear more about Messenger, one of the main characters and this was true. There was alot of focus on the book given to his past and his story and I loved reading it.

This book, I felt, explored it's themes in much more depth. The key theme, concepts of evil and why people do it was explored with a depth and I loved that fine-line the characters walked between good and evil. I liked that even the "good" characters still possessed some evil and that this idea was explored in the book. It felt like it had more of a point then the first one did.

I also liked the main character, Mara, in this one alot more. In the previous book she was passive and kind of whiny. In this one she developed much more of a spine, began to make her own decisions and began to question and be honest with herself much more. I also loved her encounters with Oriax and her struggle to resist temptation.

This book also stays true to classic Michael Grant grit and gore. Some bits of this book are truly gory and awful but I like that about his writing.

Overall, I really liked this. I'm looking forward to the next one, which is a miracle since I wasn't looking forward to this one at all. My faith in Michael Grant is well-founded, he really pulled this series back and I am looking forward to the release of book #3. !

MY RATING
( ★★★☆☆ ) ( but this is more of a 3.5. I take off some stars for a slow-moving plot at the beginning. )

message 23: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Apr 11, 2016 12:23AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 13: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone (Illustrated by Jim Kay) by J.K Rowling

When a letter arrives for unhappy but ordinary Harry Potter, a decade-old secret is revealed to him that apparently he's the last to know. His parents were wizards, killed by a Dark Lord's curse when Harry was just a baby, and which he somehow survived. Leaving his unsympathetic aunt and uncle for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry stumbles upon a sinister mystery when he finds a three-headed dog guarding a room on the third floor. Then he hears of a missing stone with astonishing powers, which could be valuable, dangerous – or both. An incredible adventure is about to begin!

Well. Not much to say about this! I just love Harry Potter and I'm weak -- I just love rereading it.

Granted, I did have a good excuse this time. I got this AMAZING illustrated edition of Philosophers Stone for Christmas and -- well I mean I couldn't NOT read it. The illustrations are absolutely stunning and the detail given to them is amazing. Most of the time I stopped reading to just pore over the pictures. I loved the illustration of Diagon Alley, Hogwarts and the Quidditch Pitch as sunset most, I think.

Loved it so much, as always. No matter how much I read these I find something new in them every time. Harry Potter is my weakness.

MY RATING
( ★★★★★ ) how can I not give it a 5*!

message 24: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Apr 11, 2016 07:12PM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 14: The Lost Herondale (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #2) by Cassandra Clare The Lost Herondale - Cassandra Clare

description

Simon learns the worst crime a Shadowhunter can commit: desertion of their comrades. In the early nineteenth century, Tobias Herondale abandoned his fellow Shadowhunters in the heat of battle and left them to die. His life was forfeit, but Tobias never returned, and the Clave claimed his wife’s life in exchange for Tobias’s. Simon and his fellow students are shocked to learn of this brutality, especially when it is revealed the woman was pregnant. But what if the child survived... could there be a lost Herondale line out in the world today?

Loved this! A good short story about the Herondale family (those boys need to get themselves together?) Glad I got to this before I read Lady Midnight.

These short stories are so sweet and love the worldbuilding

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 25: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 15: The Whitechapel Fiend (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #3) by Cassandra Clare The Whitechapel Fiend - Cassandra Clare

description

Simon learns the truth behind the Jack the Ripper murders—“Jack” was stopped by Will Herondale, his former parabatai, and his institute of Victorian Shadowhunters.

Will and Tessa!! The story of how the London shadowhunters took down 'Jack the Ripper" was interesting, and I loved seeing my old favourites. Especially liked to see Cecily and Tessa working together. Gave this a 5* because it was cute and I love Will and Tessa and Jem

MY RATING
( ★★★★★ )

message 26: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 16: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes Me Before You - Jojo Moyes

description
Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.

Urggh. I'm so emotional. This book tore me apart then pieced me back together then tore me apart again. I think I felt every emotion it is possible to feel in this book. It was happy and sad and joyful and of course I cried, it was hard not to

This story is beautiful and moving and unique. I've not read anything quite like it, and I don't think it will be a story I easily forget.

Solid 5 stars, incredibly moving and beautiful with rich characters.

MY RATING
( ★★★★★ )

message 27: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Apr 14, 2016 07:17AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 17: On the Road by Jack Kerouac On the Road - Jack Kerouac

description
Jack Kerouac's On the Road rocked the establishment with its seminal, stream-of-consciousness portrayal of 1950s underground America. Amidst a whirlwind of sex, drugs and jazz, writer Sal Paradise and his hero 'the holy conman with the shining mind', Dean Moriarty traverse the country in search of life and experience. Wild and exuberant, this life-changing novel defined the Beat generation and inspired countless others.

I have many mixed emotions about this.

On the Road has some harsh critics, and it has some die-hard fans -- I'm just going to write what I thought

First of all, the actual writing is amazing. Kerouac's use of language is amazing and the pictures he paints are vivid and powerful. I loved the way he described the road, the scenery but also his observations of life and the human condition.

I think this book truly does capture that yearning and wonder for something else, something more. Everyone has responsibilities and people and things tying them down and On the Road is really just two guys who decide not to worry about that and just go. Even though it's irresponsible of them, they still go and I think it captures so many people's thirst for adventure and life that we can't all have because of things tying us down.

The characters catch alot of hate and yeah, I get it. But I don't think characters have to be particularly good to be interesting. Sure, Dean was irresponsible and awful and selfish at times but he was still interesting. He was still such a vibrant, alive person who drove the story and his cons and quips were entertaining.

He probably wasn't a great guy and Sal realises that, but he's still drawn back to Dean and it's sad for him. It's sad that Dean can never truly settle, that his life means he's always letting people down and showing people the worst of himself.

Still, Dean (fictionalised Neal Cassady) inspired alot of people. He certainly inspired Jack Kerouac and many other people of the time period. It leads me to think, despite his flaws, he must of been something.

I did really enjoy this book for the majority of it -- part 3 and 4 dragged a little for me though, and the stream of consciousness style writing was a bit much at times.

Overall, I really did enjoy this book and I think I'd pick up another Kerouac book.

MY RATING
( ★★★☆☆ )

message 28: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Apr 16, 2016 03:20AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 18: Day 21 (The 100, #2) by Kass Morgan The Hundred: Day 21 - Kass Morgan

description
No one has set foot on Earth in centuries -- until now.
It's been 21 days since the hundred landed on Earth. They're the only humans to set foot on the planet in centuries...or so they thought. Facing an unknown enemy, Wells attempts to keep the group together. Clarke strikes out for Mount Weather, in search of other Colonists, while Bellamy is determined to rescue his sister, no matter the cost. And back on the ship, Glass faces an unthinkable choice between the love of her life and life itself.
In this pulse-pounding sequel to Kass Morgan's The 100, secrets are revealed, beliefs are challenged, and relationships are tested. And the hundred will struggle to survive the only way they can -- together..

I love The 100 Tv Show, but I actually read the first book before I watched the show. Then I binge watched 2 seasons of the show and kind of forgot what was even going on in the books.

Coming back to them was nice. Most people don't like the books much if they watch the show but I think they're okay.

Pros of the books: GLASS, the way the society is ordered into classes on the Station, that the 100 were not the first to land on Earth from space, Kendall and Wells being in it.

Cons: The way characters change emotions so quickly - sort of inconsistent like they'll be mad, angry, hateful for 2 pages and then SO IN LOVE the next with no development between and it's kinda ergh. Clarke is such a damsel in the books and I have no time for it, I love show Clarke.

Mostly I just find the book and the tv show really different and I'm happy to keep going with both, especially since they're quick reads.

MY RATING
( ★★★☆☆ )

message 29: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 19: Homecoming (The 100, #3) by Kass Morgan The Hundred: Homecoming - Kass Morgan

description
Weeks after landing on Earth, the Hundred have managed to create a sense of order amidst their wild, chaotic surroundings. But their delicate balance comes crashing down with the arrival of new dropships from space.

These new arrivals are the lucky ones—back on the Colony, the oxygen is almost gone—but after making it safely to Earth, GLASS’s luck seems to be running out. CLARKE leads a rescue party to the crash site, ready to treat the wounded, but she can’t stop thinking about her parents, who may still be alive. Meanwhile, WELLS struggles to maintain his authority despite the presence of the Vice Chancellor and his armed guards, and BELLAMY must decide whether to face or flee the crimes he thought he’d left behind.

It’s time for the Hundred to come together and fight for the freedom they’ve found on Earth, or risk losing everything—and everyone—they love.

URGGGHHH. Thats the easiest way to describe my feelings. I'm so frustrated !! These books have alot of potential and could have been so interesting and all that is smothered by pointless fluff and romance that doesn't need to be there.
Every character is starting to feel bland since there is little character development and this book needs alot of worldbuilding.

But then again, I finished it really quickly and it was entertaining so it can't have been that bad? I just am annoyed it could have been alot better very easily and it's not.

MY RATING
( ★★★☆☆ )

message 30: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 20: Passenger (Passenger, #1) by Alexandra Bracken Passenger - Alexandra Bracken

description
Etta Spencer is a violin prodigy. When tragedy strikes and a mysterious power tied closely to her musical abilities manifests, Etta is pulled back through time to 1776 in the midst of a fierce sea battle.

Her capture was orchestrated by the Ironwoods, the most powerful family in the Colonies. Nicholas Carter, handsome, young, prize master of a privateering ship, has been charged with retrieving and delivering her to the family - unharmed.

Etta learns her fate is entwined with an object of untold value from her past. Ironwood is desperate to secure his future, but Etta must find it first in order to return home. Embarking on a perilous journey across centuries and continents, piecing together clues left behind from a mysterious traveller, the true nature of the object and Ironwood's dangerous game, could mean the end for Nicholas and Etta ...

LOVED THIS SO MUCH. Honestly not much to say, everything was perfect. Loved the story, the plot, the characters. Loved Alexandra Bracken's writing and was absolutely captivated by the story. A world I would love to be a part of (I'm a history nerd okay? Let me travel to these far flung lands and times)

Absolutely adored it and can not wait for Wayfarer to be released

MY RATING
( ★★★★★ )

message 31: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 21: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell

description
Cath and Wren are identical twins, and until recently they did absolutely everything together. Now they're off to university and Wren's decided she doesn't want to be one half of a pair any more - she wants to dance, meet boys, go to parties and let loose. It's not so easy for Cath. She's horribly shy and has always buried herself in the fan fiction she writes, where she always knows exactly what to say and can write a romance far more intense than anything she's experienced in real life.

Now Cath has to decide whether she's ready to open her heart to new people and new experiences, and she's realizing that there's more to learn about love than she ever thought possible ...

A tale of fanfiction, family, and first love

Such a cute lil book. Loved pretty much everything about it. Thought the romance was really quirky and cute, as were the characters. Really original characters and even though the college-plot was kind of typical the element of family and fanfiction made it stand out so it didn't feel dull. Had such a good time reading this and loved that I'd never read anything quite like it.

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 32: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited Apr 23, 2016 06:20AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 22: Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo - Shadow and Bone, Leigh Bardugo

description
Alina Starkov doesn't expect much from life. Orphaned by the Border Wars, she is sure of only one thing: her best friend, Mal--and her inconvenient crush on him. Until the day their army regiment enters the Fold, a swath of unnatural darkness crawling with monsters. When their convoy is attacked and Mal is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power not even she knew existed.

Ripped from everything she knows, Alina is taken to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling. With Alina's extraordinary power in his arsenal, he believes they can finally destory the Fold. Now Alina must find a way to master her untamed gift and somehow fit into her new life without Mal by her side. But nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. As the threat to the kingdom mounts and her dangerous attraction to the Darkling grows, Alina will uncover a secret that could tear her heart--and her country--in two

A high fantasy I've been meaning to get to for a long time now. Heard alot of mix reviews about it and didn't really know what it was coming into it. Didn't like it much at the start, it felt slow and I was so confused but as it went on I found myself unable to put it down.

I loved Alina and Mal's relationship, and I liked Alina as a heroine. I loved the complexities of their world once I started to understand it all. Really ended up enjoying it and will read the next two books!

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 33: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 23: Tiger Moon by Antonia Michaelis - Tiger Moon by Antonia Michaelis

description
Fate brings together a talking tiger, a doomed princess, and a rascally thief in a thrilling, old-fashioned tale from an exciting, internationally acclaimed new talent.

How does a story of India begin?

Does it begin with the three rivers—the Ganges, the Yamuna, the unseen Sarasvati pouring her dreaming waters down from the snowy mountains to the hot, dry plain?

Like other great storytellers of India, newcomer Antonia Michaelis weaves a tale that is grand in spirit and earthy in humor. She introduces the young thief Farhad, master of many disguises but not of his own heart, who, with the help of a sarcastic tiger, must save a Hindu princess from marriage to a demon king. It is the unlikely friendship between boy and tiger, and the sacrifice their journey demands, that is the soul of this lushly told, beautifully felt novel.

DAMN. Damn, what an absorbing, beautifully written book. It was truly unique, a clever piece of work that intertwined the stories of many, many unexpected characters. The friendship between the main character, Farhad Kamal and his sarcastic sacred tiger Nitish was hilarious.

The incorporation of so much Indian culture, tradition and landscape was beautiful, and well written. It transports you to India. I also loved the religious incorporations, primarily Hindu but with a nod to Islam, Buddhism and Christianity.

This book is unique, and a YA unlike many of the other I read. I loved that it told such a thrilling adventure story whilst tapping into some genuine issues of British-India. Loved it !

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 34: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 24: The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare - The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan, Cassandra Jean and Maureen Johnson

description
Fans of The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices can get to know warlock Magnus Bane like never before in this collection of New York Times bestselling tales, in print for the first time with an exclusive new story and illustrated material.

This collection of eleven short stories illuminates the life of the enigmatic Magnus Bane, whose alluring personality, flamboyant style, and sharp wit populate the pages of the #1 New York Times bestselling series, The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices.

Finally finished these. Loved some, thought others were meh. Overrall they were pretty good reading and offerd quite alot of depth into Magnus and many of the other Downworld characters. I loved anything that included the TMI gang, and the Circle members. Entertaining, but short stories kinda aren't my thing that much.

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ ) -- actual rating 3.5

message 35: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Congratulations on reaching the halfway point!

message 36: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments Thankyou! I'm thinking I might need to up my goal since it's only May and I'm halfway already

message 37: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited May 07, 2016 01:59AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 25: Vicious (Pretty Little Liars, #16) by Sara Shepard - Vicious by Sara Shepard

description
High school seniors Aria, Emily, Hanna, and Spencer have been through a lot since their best friend, Alison DiLaurentis, disappeared five summers ago. A stalker named "A" has harassed them for their past mistakes and revealed their darkest secrets to the world. They've been on TV, hounded by the press, kicked out of school, arrested, and even put in jail. With time running out, and their lives on the line, one of the Liars does something so terrifying and shocking, fans will be left breathless.

what the heck pretty little liars is over. This was an okay ending to the series, seems weird to let it go after 16 books, but also feels good. I'll kind of miss the girls and the colossal mistakes they somehow manage to keep making over and over again.

With this I'm half way through my reading challenge!

MY RATING
( ★★★☆☆ )

message 38: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited May 07, 2016 10:09AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 26: Carry On by Rainbow Rowell - Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

description
Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who’s ever been chosen.

That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.

Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here—it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.

I LOVED THIS. I was so excited to read Carry On and I loved it to pieces. The story and world is just so clever and quirky and funny. Every character is hilarious, there were so many moments that made me laugh. I loved the world and how everythng was so cleverly done and the play on Harry Potter and some other pop culture was really cool. This is one of my favourite's all year. Plus the relationship between Simon and Baz was so weird, but cute??

I wanna say more because I loved it so much but yeah I just, this book was soo good and so fun !!

MY RATING
( ★★★★★ )

message 39: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments Decided to up my goal to 70!

message 40: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 27: United We Spy (Gallagher Girls, #6) by Ally Carter - United We Spy, Ally Carter

description
Cammie Morgan has lost her father and her memory, but in the heart-pounding conclusion to the best-selling Gallagher Girls series, she finds her greatest mission yet.

Cammie and her friends finally know why the terrorist organization called the Circle of Cavan has been hunting her. Now the spy girls and Zach must track down the Circle’s elite members to stop them before they implement a master plan that will change Cammie—and her country—forever.

WHAT! Gallagher Girls is over too. united we cry This is such a fun series and one I've been reading since I was in primary school sooo I'm really sad to see it go. But it had a great conclusion and I found that I was satisfied with it, even if I'm still sad. I love these crazy girls and their crazy school so much. (My primary goal in life now is to convince my little sister to read this series)

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 41: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited May 14, 2016 06:33AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 28: All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven - All the Bright Places - Jennifer Niven

description
Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

URGH. Exhausting read tbh. I really didn't enjoy it, and I didn't finish it. Kind of disappointing since most people absolutely rave about it. But that is what it is. Anyway, at least it's done now.

MY RATING
( ★★☆☆☆ )

message 42: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 29: Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) by Leigh Bardugo Siege and Storm - Leigh Bardugo

description

Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.

I thought this was MUCH better then the first book. It really dove into exploring the themes and each character made massive bounds in terms of character development. The plot was fast paced for the majority of the book (except the start) and the plot was interesting.

I'm captivated by this series exploration of power and the effect it has on people, whether they're "good" or "bad". Reminds me a bit of Harry Potter/Game of Thrones in that and I think it's probably the highlight of the series.

Also the worldbuilding was there, and this world was amaziingg. It's so complex and well-built, I really admire that.

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 43: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 30: Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3) by Leigh Bardugo Ruin and Rising - Leigh Bardugo

description
The capital has fallen.

The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.

Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for.

I HECTIC ending to a great series !!! Was a bit emotional in the middle there (MALYEN ORETSEV IS MY SON) But it all turned out okay. Thought the worldbuilding was really well done, yet again, and was struck by the complexity of each character. Especally Alina! One of my favourite YA heroine's to date, she is great!!!

Really loved this series!! -- gotta move onto Six of Crows ASAP now

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 44: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 31: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

description

Dark allegory describes the narrator’s journey up the Congo River and his meeting with, and fascination by, Mr. Kurtz, a mysterious personage who dominates the unruly inhabitants of the region. Masterly blend of adventure, character development, psychological penetration. Considered by many Conrad’s finest, most enigmatic story.

I have mixed feelings. This was a school read and I hate the actual story it was so incredibly hard to read but the layers of meaning embedded within it are interesting and what it proposes to reads as a text is also quite pragmatic. There's plenty to write about and analyse here which is perfect for my exams, but it's not really the kind of classic you can kick back and absorb yourself in. Some great passages though?

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 45: by ✨ jami ✨ (last edited May 29, 2016 05:13AM) (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 32: A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin A Game of Thrones by George R.R Martin

description
Summers span decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun.

As Warden of the north, Lord Eddard Stark counts it a curse when King Robert bestows on him the office of the Hand. His honour weighs him down at court where a true man does what he will, not what he must ...and a dead enemy is a thing of beauty.

The old gods have no power in the south, Stark's family is split and there is treachery at court. Worse, the vengeance-mad heir of the deposed Dragon King has grown to maturity in exile in the Free Cities. He claims the Iron Throne.

ABSOLUTELY EPIC. A story that spans such an amazing, complex characters filled with characters you love (and ultimately weep for) and characters you HATE. Thought this was really good, and quite enjoyed it compared to the show. The detail is amazing and I'm a true sucker for fantasy involving battles, knights, dragons and kings !! Even though it's a monster of a book, it was worth it.

Finished this as a May twin read!

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 46: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 33: A Work in Progress by Connor Franta - A Work in Progress by Connor Franta

description
In this intimate memoir of life beyond the camera, Connor Franta shares the lessons he has learned on his journey from small-town boy to Internet sensation so far.

Here, Connor offers a look at his Midwestern upbringing as one of four children in the home and one of five in the classroom; his struggles with identity, body image, and sexuality in his teen years; and his decision to finally pursue his creative and artistic passions in his early twenties, setting up his thrilling career as a YouTube personality, philanthropist, entrepreneur, and tastemaker.

Exploring his past with insight and humor, his present with humility, and his future with hope, Connor reveals his private struggles while providing heartfelt words of wisdom for young adults. His words will resonate with anyone coming of age in the digital era, but at the core is a timeless message for people of all ages: don't be afraid to be yourself and to go after what you truly want.

Been meaning to read Connor Franta's memoir ever since it was awarded last year -- it has such good reviews. I thought it was okay, not terrible, not great. Just good, fine, okay.

A bit cliche and aimed at people younger then me. But I mean, it wasn't like I was dying at every turn of the page. Wouldn't have wanted it to be any longer though!!

MY RATING
( ★★★☆☆ )

message 47: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 34: Waking the Giant How a Changing Climate Triggers Earthquakes, Tsunamis, and Volcanoes by Bill McGuire - Waking the Giant: How a Changing Climate Triggers Earthquakes, Tsunami's and Volcanoes by Bill Mcguire

description
An astonishing transformation over the last 20,000 years has seen our planet changed from a frigid wasteland into the temperate world within which our civilization has grown and thrived. This dynamic episode in our planet's history, right at the close of the Ice Age, saw not only a huge temperature hike but also the Earth's crust bouncing and bending in response to the melting of the great ice sheets and the filling of the ocean basins--dramatic geophysical events that triggered earthquakes, spawned tsunamis, and provoked a series of eruptions from the world's volcanoes. In Wakingthe Giant, Bill McGuire argues that now that human activities are driving climate change as rapidly as anything seen in post-glacial times, the sleeping giant beneath our feet is stirring once again. When and if it finally wakes, we should all be afraid--very afraid. Could we be leaving our children not only a far hotter world, but a more geologically unstable one too?

Really interesting, alot of things I didn't know and even though I got through it slowly I really enjoyed reading this. Climate change is something really important to me, since it will effect my generation and the one after me even more and it's sad so many governments do so little about it. Kinda global warming 101 but still really good.

MY RATING
( ★★★★☆ )

message 48: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 35: The Young World (The Young World, #1) by Chris Weitz - The Young World by Chris Weitz

description
After a mysterious Sickness wipes out the rest of the population, the young survivors assemble into tightly run tribes. Jefferson, the reluctant leader of the Washington Square tribe, and Donna, the girl he's secretly in love with, have carved out a precarious existence among the chaos. But when another tribe member discovers a clue that may hold the cure to the Sickness, five teens set out on a life-altering road trip to save humankind.

The tribe exchanges gunfire with enemy gangs, escapes cults and militias, braves the wilds of the subway and Central Park...and discovers truths they could never have imagined.

lmfao honestly this was terrible I'm surprised I even finished it. It literally was just a book full of sexism, racism, cultural stereotyping and was just awful. I hated it.

review

MY RATING
( ★☆☆☆☆ )

message 49: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments Aand I am at 50% of my challenge now, yay! 5 books ahead of schedule so doing well.

message 50: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 244 comments 36: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K Rowling

description
Harry Potter is a wizard. He is in his second year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Little does he know that this year will be just as eventful as the last…

Continuing the reread. I love Chamber of Secrets I think it's one of the best books. I haven't read it in ages so it was really good to reread. I love the setting up it does for the later books.

MY RATING
( ★★★★★ )

« previous 1 3