Our Shared Shelf discussion

Mar—All About Love (2016) > Has anyone read this book before? Or any other works by bell hooks?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Mar 01, 2016 03:47PM) (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
Like I did last month, I thought I'd kick off some discussion by finding out who is familiar with bell hooks's body of work and/or with this book in particular?

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina Lamb | 6 comments I have to admit this is going to be a new adventure for me. I am unfamiliar with the body of work but looking forward to adding a new favorite.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (meetmeinmalkovich) Is this our March book? Very excited, never even heard of this before.

message 4: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Is this our March book? Very excited, never even heard of this before."

Yup! Emma just posted the announcement a couple of hours ago: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (repressedpauper) | 64 comments I actually just learned about bell hooks when she interviewed Emma Watson! I thought she was a really good interviewer with lots of interesting opinions. I loved how she wasn't afraid to say what she thought, even if it might be unpopular. I'm really looking forward to reading something of hers this month.

message 6: by Simone (new)

Simone | 85 comments I haven't read any of her works before,but that will change in couple of days!! I'm very excited to read All About Love!!

message 7: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Echevarría | 29 comments I hadn't heard about bell hooks until very recently, a little before her interview to Emma. I think she is a fascinating person (that seems as a theme with the authors we've read) and the description of All About Love: New Visions makes me want to start reading it without stopping (but first, I have to get it!).

I've gone through a lot in the last couple of years (my parents divorce, moving from the house I'd lived in for 23 of my 25 years, new job, anxiety and panic attacks...) and I've had to overcome some of my fears and insecurities, and it's been through the love of my loved ones that I've managed to overcome it all and learnt to love myself. Hopefully this book will be a sort of guide.

message 8: by Fiza (new)

Fiza (fizaaarshad) | 99 comments I haven't heard of Hooks and am not familiar with her work, so I am even more excited to explore.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (emyvrooom) | 64 comments I'm very familiar with bell hooks and her work, but from afar. There were many courses I took in college that used hooks as a jumping off point in discussions, but I've never read one of her works in its entirety. I'm excited to dive in and give it a whirl!

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Harre | 24 comments I have never read any Bell Hooks books. I look forward to reading another great book from this amazing book club. This club has open me up to new books I normally wouldn't pick up.

message 11: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Mar 01, 2016 06:34PM) (new)

Emily wrote: "I'm very familiar with bell hooks and her work, but from afar. There were many courses I took in college that used hooks as a jumping off point in discussions, but I've never read one of her works ..."

This pretty well sums up my experience with her work also!

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily Katelyn wrote: "Like I did last month, I thought I'd kick off some discussion by finding out who is familiar with bell hooks's body of work and/or with this book in particular?"

I have read Feminist Theory from Margin to Center which is a great primer for understanding bell hooks and I just finished Ain't I a Woman which I found more challenging. She's a confrontational writer but I really like her style and find her feminist theory is very in-line with my own.

message 13: by Lily (new)

Lily (journalingirl) | 12 comments I've heard of bell hooks, but, like a lot of important authors, I haven't had time to read her work. I'm really excited to start exploring this.

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Kendall (_pochemuchka_) | 35 comments The first time I'd actually heard of her was in this book club when Emma had a chat with her. That's the sum of my knowledge about her.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hohmann | 1 comments I have not read this book yet. I've read the conversation between Emma and Bell, and it got me excited to learn a about the kinds of books Bell writes.
I'm new to this book club and I'm very excited to start this journey with this book!

message 16: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria | 24 comments I have not read this book in particular, but I am familiar with some of her other work.

A couple years ago she actually spoke at my alma mater and I was able to go see her, and I've been a fan of hooks since.

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna | 2 comments I enjoyed studying bell hooks in my literary criticism class, but I'm glad to get the chance to read her work in a different context.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ann | 3 comments bell hooks is one of my favorite writers. Her interview with Emma was amazing. So excited this was chosen. :)

message 19: by Barb (new)

Barb (barbie15) | 15 comments I have not heard of Bell Hooks before. I have gotten through the Introduction and I have to say she has a way with words. I am excited to keep reading.

message 20: by Serena (new)

Serena (sagustocox) | 10 comments I've read Ain't I a Woman in college for a political science course.

message 21: by Maiken (new)

Maiken Christensen | 5 comments I am thinking of reading another one of Hooks' books while I wait for my book to arrive (ordering in from the US). Reading a few of the comments here and there suggest that Hooks has a lot to offer and isn't afraid to speak her mind. Reading another book means I can discuss her style of writing, feminist theories etc. For starters.
But I am not familiar with her work so unsure which book to choose..? Any recommendations?

message 22: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Call | 8 comments I'm impatiently waiting for my book to be shipped by Amazon. I'm excited to read this one! I've never heard of bell hooks, but I'm eager to become a fan:)

message 23: by Melle (new)

Melle (feministkilljoy13) | 68 comments Out of curiousity, does anyone know why she chooses to not capitalize her name?

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Browning I'm an eager reader of bell hooks. I've read From Margin to Center which is a crucial text in intersectional feminism, Feminism is for Everybody which is a great introduction. Breaking Bread with Cornel West and Teaching to Trangress are also both fantastic, if a little more niche. I've also read all three of the love trilogy: this book, Salvation, and Communion. They are all worth reading - Salvation focuses on black people and love, Communion on women and love. But they don't add much to each other, there's a lot of overlap.

My advise is to read at least one of hooks' classic feminist texts from the 80s: Margin to Center, Ain't I a Woman, Talking Back just to get a sense of the influence.

message 25: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Browning Melle wrote: "Out of curiousity, does anyone know why she chooses to not capitalize her name?"

As I understand it, she was trying to decentralize herself as author/personality and let the work speak for itself.

I'd argue this really hasn't worked at all. hooks is a legend :)

message 26: by Melle (new)

Melle (feministkilljoy13) | 68 comments Jamie wrote: "Melle wrote: "Out of curiousity, does anyone know why she chooses to not capitalize her name?"

As I understand it, she was trying to decentralize herself as author/personality and let the work spe..."

Agreed!! I like the thought, though. Very interesting! Thanks! :)

message 27: by Destri (new)

Destri (destrileger) | 4 comments I read "All About Love" towards the end of last year. Since then I've read "Where We Stand: Class Matters" and "Feminism is for Everybody: Passionate Politics."

I'm also pretty sure I've watched every public dialogue from the New School, St. Norbert College, etc. available on YouTube (which you should DEFINITELY watch if you haven't yet).

message 28: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 4 comments I love love love bell hooks!! I studied her under one of her protégés in college. She is just so smart and and so insightful and loves so deeply. I've never read this particular work, so I am extremely excited to delve into it and see what else I can learn from her.

message 29: by Laura (last edited Mar 04, 2016 06:48PM) (new)

Laura (laurelei_) I read "Feminism is for Everybody" a few years ago, and am reading "Class Matters" now for my graduate exams. I already had "All About Love" and meant to read it last semester for a paper, but ran out of time. Glad I get an "excuse" to do so now!

I'm really excited that so many people here don't know who she is -- what a great way to learn! I met her at a book signing/lecture a few years ago and she's lovely. If you watch any of her lectures on Youtube, you can get a sense both of her personality and insight. I recommend the video with her and Melissa Harris-Perry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Omgq...

message 30: by erika (new)

erika | 36 comments I have heard her name pop up a few times lately, and I am excited to dive into her work! When I can get a hold of it-- my library doesn't carry it, so I have to get it via inter-library loan. I was looking for other works by her at my library and got all excited when I saw they had one on the shelves...until I looked it up and realized it was a children's book...I can read it anyway, right?! :)

message 31: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Ive never read anything by her. So far im enjoying All About Love. Im glad i joined this group. Its pushing me to read novels i would never pick for myself.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah White | 3 comments I had never heard of her before this book club...which surprised me, because I have a B.S in Sociology and consider myself a feminist! I'm so glad to be reading her work now, though. I'm in chapter 3 and have many thoughts running through my head. I especially enjoyed the chapter on parenting. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee and the cultural shift regarding corporal punishment shocks me. Many schools in TN still allow corporal punishment, and most families here still whip their children. My family is the minority in not spanking.

message 33: by Bree (new)

Bree Wash Yes I've heard of bell hooks. I have a degree in Women's Studies and she was required reading in my and my daughter's Woman's Studies courses.

message 34: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 11 comments I read feminism is for everyone by Bell hooks. I have ain't I a woman on my shelf, I'll get to it this year sometime

message 35: by Sabina (new)

Sabina Tocco | 50 comments I've never read Bell Hooks before but I'm interested in this book! I think it will be fabulous. It reminds me (I mean the title) a song by Jennifer Hudson "All Dressed in Love". This song is amazing and her voice too. :) So I'm quite sure this book will be the same :)

message 36: by Lindsy (new)

Lindsy | 8 comments I have never heard of Bell Hooks. This book club is allowing me to explore new territory, and I appreciate the opportunity to explore new ideas and grow in my learning.

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I've never read bell hook's work in its entirety, just excerpts in college courses. I would be interested in reading more of her books, but getting copies where I live will be a challenge. I was surprised to find my library does not have a single copy of anything by bell hooks, or even have her books available through the Missouri Evergreen interlibrary loan system.

message 38: by JustGottaRead (new)

JustGottaRead | 8 comments I only heard of bells hooks when she interviewed Emma. I immediately went to a local secondhand bookstore and they had Feminism is for Everybody: Passionate Politics. It's really made me think & readjust my feminist identity, it's that thought provoking! My only quibble is the grammatical style, maybe that's intentional to get her message across. I don’t know. But anyway, I'm looking forward to reading All About Love: New Visions.

message 39: by Erin (new)

Erin (pinkhairerin) | 2 comments I heard of bell hooks in my feminism class in undergrad but this will be the first time I read a book of hers. I think we might have read some of her other work in that class, but I honestly don't remember it. But I'm happy to read her work, so far I like it.

message 40: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (thesparklenureyz) | 39 comments I have not, but now I am really interested in reading the other books in her trilogy. I'm especially interested in reading her book, Salvation: Black People and Love. I am really working on educating myself on race right now in my life. It is such an important thing in our society, and as a white ally I am trying to be as informed as possible. I really like her as a writer and am looking forward to reading more by her.

message 41: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmapalmave) | 11 comments I read Feminism is for Everybody: Passionate Politics a couple of years ago. It'd be nice to re-read it in the foreseeable future.