Our Shared Shelf discussion

Announcements > Third book!! All About Love: New Visions, by bell hooks

Comments Showing 1-50 of 212 (212 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Watson (emmawatsonbookclub) | 49 comments Mod
This month's book choice is in honor of bell hooks who interviewed me for Paper magazine this month. Maya Angelou said of bell’s work, “Each offering from bell hooks is a major event, she has so much to give us’. I love hearing from bell, I am pretty excited to start “All About Love: New Visions". It’s been on my list for a while.

http://www.amazon.com/All-About-Love-...

Love,
Emma x

message 2: by Simon (new)

Simon Kuhn | 223 comments Ooh yes! I heard a lot about this book since I got somewhat into feminism, and only heard positive things so it promises a lot :)

Hopefully they got this one in my library, excited to read this one <3

message 3: by Rafael (new)

Rafael Caracciolo Duarte | 21 comments Thanks for the link!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Excited to read it!

message 5: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Yay!! So far, all three books have been new to me, which is great. The more new stuff I read, the more I'll be introduced to! Looking forward to finding it.

message 6: by Tor (new)

Tor Charlesworth | 2 comments Alright, let's do this! xo

message 7: by Melle (new)

Melle (feministkilljoy13) | 68 comments I love bell hooks - excited to read this one!

message 8: by Cath (new)

Cath Lyders | 5 comments ooh so glad I caught this post early - have already reserved at the library! :)

message 9: by Alexandria (last edited Mar 01, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Alexandria | 24 comments Yay! I've liked everything I've read by bell hooks so far, but I haven't read this yet.

The only downside (for me) is there doesn't appear to be an e-book version of this one. Oh well, ordered it from Amazon!

message 10: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 50 comments Can't find a copy anywhere :(

message 11: by Fiza (new)

Fiza (fizaaarshad) | 99 comments This sounds promising. Can't wait to dig in.

message 12: by Nastassia (new)

Nastassia Romanova | 2 comments no kindle :((( and i def won't be able to find this here in a barbados book store :'(

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliejuz) | 97 comments Yes !

message 14: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Gabe (cmgabe) | 23 comments So excited for the latest read. I have heard of bell hooks and read some excerpts of her work, but never a full book. This group has been great so far in focusing my reading in a way that I really didn't know I needed (or wanted for that matter).

message 15: by Anne Elisabeth (new)

Anne Elisabeth   (anneelisabeth) | 90 comments I look forward to reading it :)

message 16: by Katrina (new)

Katrina This is awesome! I read some of Bell Hooks' articles in a class of mine last semester! Excited to read this one :)

message 17: by Mattie (new)

Mattie (maitreyeemayhem) | 26 comments Ah the new book is finally listed!! I can't find this at my local library. I will keep on digging to find a copy!

message 18: by Mattie (last edited Mar 01, 2016 02:55PM) (new)

Mattie (maitreyeemayhem) | 26 comments I FOUND IT!!! I found the book you can get... Free shipping if you spend $10

http://www.thriftbooks.com/w/all-abou...

I am so excited, I just placed my order.

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashpohlenz) | 10 comments Really looking forward to this new book. I love that each of the 3 are ones I never would have picked up and I have thoroughly enjoyed the first 2. I am expanding my reading and learning through this book club. As I librarian I see so many books and have tons on my to read list but this book club and the threads with suggestions have expanded my to read shelf even more. We are even featuring this book club (Our Shared Shelf) in our library links article for the local newspaper while we talk about Women's History Month and our favorite female authors.

message 20: by Marc (new)

Marc | 43 comments That is on my to read list :)
Seems like I'lI get to read it sooner as I thought! Lovely choice looking forward to it!

Greets x

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula | 45 comments I'm glad we're reading this book, too! I've never heard of Bell Hooks before, but the book sounds like a good read so I'm gonna try it!

message 22: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
Elisa wrote: "Too bad it isn't available as audio book. I'd love to read this!! But due to illness I can't read long texts and can only 'read' my books in audio format. I send an e-mail to Audible with a request..."

This is not something that would have occurred to me personally, and I don't want to speak for anyone else on the team, but I'll bring this up and add it to the list of things we should keep in mind in the future as far as accommodating members. Thanks for letting us know!

message 23: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
Ashley wrote: "Really looking forward to this new book. I love that each of the 3 are ones I never would have picked up and I have thoroughly enjoyed the first 2. I am expanding my reading and learning through th..."

Excellent, thank you for featuring us! The more the merrier :) Hopefully more people are bringing OSS to their local communities, via libraries or otherwise!

message 24: by Julia (new)

Julia Scherf | 18 comments I'm very excited about this month's choice. I haven't heard of this book before but it sounds amazingly good. I'm curious about the psychological aspects mentioned in there.
I'm so gonna hit the bookstore tomorrow. You made me a happy girl :)

message 25: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Just requested this book from the library! Cant wait for it to come in.

message 26: by Will (new)

Will Harrison (meowking) | 9 comments awesome choice I knew ya'd choose this one too lols!!! :D that interview with Bell was really insightful for both of you you're so awesome Em <3

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Spencer (raachels) | 6 comments Yaay! Can't wait to read this one. I love Bell Hooks!

message 28: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Conway (tttashadanielle) | 1 comments Gotta admit, the first thing I did was look for an ebook version too!
You can read it online here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/124493278/b...

:)

message 29: by Anita (new)

Anita | 87 comments I am looking forward to reading and discussing this.

message 30: by Odette (new)

Odette | 14 comments Nastassia wrote: "no kindle :((( and i def won't be able to find this here in a barbados book store :'("

Sounds like another awesome read to me :)

Maybe interesting for some of you, the book is also available at http://www.bookdepository.com/All-abo...

Free delivery, and the website even says it ships to Barbados Nastassia! ;) In case you haven't found/ordered it yet

message 31: by Romina (new)

Romina Scianatico | 37 comments This has been on my list for aaaages! I can't wait to start it!

message 32: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (meetmeinmalkovich) Thank you all of those who have posted links for finding this book. I immediately went to my library, but of course they don't have it. Small town libraries aren't very selective.

message 33: by Romina (new)

Romina Scianatico | 37 comments Here are some other links for people who are having a hard time finding the book at their local library!

Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/all-a...

Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/908769?wmls...

Textbooks.com: http://www.textbooks.com/BooksDescrip...

message 34: by Bunny (new)

Bunny Be careful to check whether the version on Scribd is pirated.

message 35: by Simone (new)

Simone | 85 comments Brilliant choice!!I've always wanted to read bell hooks 's books!And that's it,All About Love!!!

message 36: by erika (new)

erika | 36 comments YES!!! I have been hearing that name a lot lately and I am SUPER excited to finally read some of her work!!

message 37: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Echevarría | 29 comments I'm so excited! I hadn't heard of bell hooks until recently and I'm certain this book will be great. I've learnt a lot about myself and how to appreciate others and my surroundings from Gloria Steinem and Alice Walker's books, I can't wait to see what bell hooks gives me!

message 38: by erika (new)

erika | 36 comments Maitreyee wrote: "Ah the new book is finally listed!! I can't find this at my local library. I will keep on digging to find a copy!"

My library doesn't carry it either-- I had to request an inter-library loan. Takes a little longer to get, but is definitely worth it! I hope you are able to track it down!

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelleturnerismyname) | 28 comments Very excited to read some bell hooks!

message 40: by Thabata (new)

Thabata | 7 comments Did anyone find the kindle version? Desperate here!

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Cunning | 10 comments I've been searching all over for it (kindle and otherwise) and can't find an ebook format so I guess I won't be reading it. I really wish the book picks were easier to access. I had the same problem last month!

message 42: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Reardon | 49 comments I love the fact that I never would have picked up any of these three books at the bookstore, and yet I couldn't wait to come home from work and pick up where I'd left off in both so far.. I'm learning as much about myself as I am about feminisms and literature. A huge thank you to everyone involved in this brilliant gathering ! :)

message 43: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 2 comments Thanks! Looking forward to reading it!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes!! can't wait to start reading it.

message 45: by Evelia (new)

Evelia | 89 comments Also looking forward to reading this book. :)

message 46: by Haylee (new)

Haylee Lederer (hayleeonfire) For those who can't find it at their local libraries - try interlibrary loan. Most library systems offer it.. you just input the information for the book and they will borrow it from another library for you! It's totally underutilized but such a massive help sometimes.

message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (city_jess) | 1 comments Excited to read bell hooks this month! I just learned about Our Shared Shelf through Emma's interview with her in Paper. Looking forward to joining the conversation!

message 48: by Fernanda (new)

Fernanda Arista | 1 comments I´m so glad I saw this post early! Living in México makes it harder to find books in English, but I´m really excited to read this one!

message 49: by Aamani (new)

Aamani Sharma | 1 comments cant wait to read this book

message 50: by Haylee (new)

Haylee Lederer (hayleeonfire) Jason wrote: "Possible Spoilers

I'm more than halfway through. She had me until she started trying to convince me to give up my ownings for a communal life. I enjoy things. I like owning things. I WANT someday ..."

I feel like you should post this in a different thread.

« previous 1 3 4 5