I Read Therefore I Am discussion

The Unbearable Lightness of Being
This topic is about The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Readalongs > The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Angela and I are reading this in May - please join us if you wish :0)

Angela | 738 comments I am about two days away from starting this... can't wait!!! :)

message 3: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee I shall start this week too :0)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) I hated this book - it is touted as the greatest thing since sliced bread and is simply a repetition in 7 or maybe 8 parts. I found nothing to like in the characters Thomas, was a boor and a chauvinist and Theresa a doormat. Insipid. Maybe i was missing something. I will be interested in your insight

message 5: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee I've read it before and I enjoyed it with some reservations - there's definitely a rather chauvenistic tone to it at times.

Angela | 738 comments I am on p. 42 and am finding it strangely engrossing. Very much enjoying so far - it is very quotable. Anyone else starting to nibble on this one?

message 7: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Definitely tomorrow :0)

message 8: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments I really wanted to join in with this but just don't have time at the moment. I'll be interested in what you think of it though.

message 9: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Just started and straight away - on the very 1st page ( with the the paragraph about the eternally recurring Robespierre ) I remembered what I liked about it. Like Laurel said about The Man Without Qualities, it's a novel of ideas and there's something to think about on every page.

Angela | 738 comments Absolutely! I think this is wonderfully written, so penetrating. He has made a myriad of ideas completely readable. I am into Tereza's story now... a lot of what Kundera says really rings true.

Angela | 738 comments P.S. Can we have one of his poems for the daily some time? :o)

message 12: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Sad to say I didn't even know he'd written any - but yes, of course we can :0)

message 13: by Lee (last edited May 12, 2014 10:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Once I started I couldn't stop. I think I enjoyed it even more the 2nd time - it's so very wise. The one thing I would change about the book (view spoiler) would be to have a Iittle less detail about Tomas's infidelities . That aside, the the book is a tragic/comic very human delight. (view spoiler)

Angela | 738 comments Does this mean you've finished?!

message 15: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Yes - sorry - should have said - I just charged through it :0)

Jenny (jeoblivion) this is one of my favorites too, I will be lurking a wee bit to see how you're liking it ;)

Angela | 738 comments I am such a slowpoke but I am savouring it on purpose as the writing is so enjoyable. Has anyone read any of his other work?

Jenny (jeoblivion) yes many, I had a rather long Kundera phase several years back and liked most of his novels very much. They are all rather philosophical and even the ones I didn't like quite as much are worth being read for the sentence-gems alone.

Jenny (jeoblivion) I've just checked Angela: another favorite of mine by him is 'The Joke', his first novel.

Angela | 738 comments Thanks so much Jenny - the writing is so good I would read another of his in a heartbeat. I feel my own Kundera phase is ready to commence :) Will check out The Joke now.

message 21: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee So glad you suggested a Readalong for this, Angie - I'd forgotten how much I loved it - the only other Kundera I've read so far is Immortality and I really enjoyed that one too. I've got The Joke somewhere about and also The Book of Laughter and Forgetting

message 22: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments I don't recall reading anything by him and although I intended to join in this read along other things took over. Which book would you suggest would be the best introduction to his work.

Angela | 738 comments This is my first Hil and I think it's great. What do you think ladies?

message 24: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Of the 2 I've read I like The Unbearable Lightness of Being best - but I read somewhere that the first Kundera you read is always your favourite because it's your introduction to his unique style - not sure how true this is generally - but it was for me. :0)

Jenny (jeoblivion) I think this one is a good start to get a feeling for if you like his style Hilary.

message 26: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments Thanks everyone, I'll try and see if I can track down a copy.

Angela | 738 comments Has anyone seen the movie 'Closer'? Natalie Portman, Julia Roberts etc.? I am reminded of that film while reading this, which is interesting as the movie was once reviewed with the phrase 'rabid bunnies'. I'd be interested to know if anyone else can see similarities.
Still loving it :)

message 28: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee No I haven't seen Closer (I have to say it like Hannibal Lecter does in Silence of the lambs) - would you recommend it (despite the rabid rabbits )? There is a film version of the Unbearable Lightness of Being - can't imagine how they adapted it.

Jenny (jeoblivion) it's great Lee! (the original movie)

Angela | 738 comments I finished this about a week ago and loved it!! I posted a thought or two in critics corner. Lee I'd love you to watch Closer, even if just to tell me whether my comparison is just.

message 31: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee I shall give it a go - I imagine it should be quite easy to sell to my other half (rabid rabbits etc)

Angela | 738 comments Haha yes there are no actual sex scenes to my recollection, just a lot of talking about sex scenes!