101 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

Catch-22
This topic is about Catch-22
Completed Reads > Catch-22 - Chapters 32-42 (End)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
Discuss the final chapters and your final thoughts.

Pallavi (bookfetisher) Final chapters.
I really got a hang of the events that took place in the story at this point.
People who are creating a bad name on military are either made to disappear or presented with deals to disappear/compromise. Some scheme to get away in a secret way.

Yossarian , a man who goes on loosing his friends in the war is supposed to be traumatized and afraid. When he really sees what war is he tries to escape it. There is a reference to Snowden's death in almost every chapter which is the real reason why our Yossarian was so against the war.
Chapter 40 will be the answer. I shuddered reading that chapter.

Chaplain's interrogation was a funny one but I really felt sad for him. Nately's whore was one more character which was hilarious. She thought Yossarian was the reason for Nately's death and just wanted to kill him.

Well this was a book where a tragedy is told in a most hilarious way. Even though I have laughed out loud many times, when I close this book it makes me feel sad. A very depressing story. But loved it.

Good summary, Pallavi. I agree, I found the book hilarious and thoroughly enjoyed it.... yet felt bad for doing so, because it's tragic and awful and brutally honest as to the absurdity of war and heartbreaking the way we through our young men (and often women) into it. It's funny in how it's told, funny because so much of it is true, tragic for the same reasons.

So did Yosarian escape to Sweden in the end? Or did he get caught? What do you think?

Pallavi (bookfetisher) Thanks Alana..
May be we might get an answer in Closing Time.

Britany Finally finished this one-- agree with all the other comments, although, don't think I quite loved this one as much as you both did. My heart broke for Yossarian and finally the absurdity caught up to him in the end. I hope he made it out alive. My favorite character for some reason was the old man in the whore house- it seemed to have the most clarity.

As I was chatting with colleagues while reading this book, I found myself relating my own job back to this book. Sometimes, it's all about the higher powers and you are just a cog in the machine (even if it makes NO sense!)-- people marching in parades, following orders, and not fighting against the injustice of it all.

Britany wrote: "As I was chatting with colleagues while reading this book, I found myself relating my own job back to this book..."

Oh my, I hope you don't find your own job to be as pointless and wasted as all that! Hopefully that's just on SOME days and not overall! :(

Britany just some tasks and some days Alana. Certainly not all together. Just found myself finding at times that this was a great example of Catch 22. HAHA

Britany wrote: "just some tasks and some days Alana. Certainly not all together. Just found myself finding at times that this was a great example of Catch 22. HAHA"

At least it relates! :)

Britany Very true- me and another colleague were dying with laughter over the irony of it all.

Sounds like when people try to explain to me why they like "The Office" so much. My brain was melting after one episode, but apparently it's spot-on for most office environments?

Britany I must admit I haven't watched it.... :/

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Closing Time (other topics)