101 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

Catch-22
This topic is about Catch-22
Completed Reads > Catch-22 - Chapters 1-10

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
Please discuss the first ten chapters.

Biblio Curious (bibliocurious) I read this last year and loved it! Granted, it's not a clear linear read. It goes off on tangents and was hard to keep trudging through, page after page of nonsense. But occasionally, it made me split my gut laughing at the idiocy. I'm uber glad I finished it and it's a book I want to reread and mark up with notes.

If it was food, I'd have to consider it delicious Mulligan Stew washed down with Redneck Moonshine :)

Intriguing summary!

Irene | 1467 comments I read this several years ago and agree. The idiocy is so funny. It helps that I have a very low opinion of the military complex. It was also a bit confusing at times. I probably should red it a second time, but not sure I will have the time. There are just so many books I want to read.

There are some sections that have been very confusing to me and there are a lot of characters to track, but some of the internal thoughts and some dialogue are laugh-out-loud funny!

So I'm listening to the audiobook for this and I'm in Chapter 9, where Major de Coverley is mentioned multiple times, but the way the narrator reads it, it's "Major "hm-hm" de Coverley" as if it was something bad to be pronounced. I looked at my paper copy to see how it was being spelled. I didn't realize it's just a dash!

message 7: by Pallavi (last edited Mar 04, 2016 07:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pallavi (bookfetisher) As it is a long book and funny one, I have decided to read it slowly. 50 pages a day and it took me 3 days to reach chapter 10.
It IS funny but I feel some parts of the story show the irony of war in a sarcastic (?) or witty way.
I loved that Chapter "Major Major Major Major " the best.

message 8: by Pami (new) - rated it 1 star

Pami | 2 comments I'm also listening to the audiobook. The narrator is a hoot. I'm enjoying the ridiculously clever dialog. I also loved the "Major Major Major, Major" chapter.

message 9: by Anirban (new) - added it

Anirban Nanda (anirbannanda) | 8 comments I am on Chapter 4. And this pretty well written. Thoroughly enjoying it.

message 10: by Phoenix (new) - added it

Phoenix | 46 comments I'm to Chapter 7 and I'm not really liking the book like I thought I might :/ …I don't know if it's just the military setting or what, but it's boring to me. I feel kind of silly saying that since it's received so much critical acclaim… I might stick with it a little longer and see if it gets any better.

I'm listening to the audio and it's hysterical! All of the utterly ridiculous scenes and situations are all the more funny because my ex-husband was in the Army, and some of the stories he told me were exactly like that. Army logic is literally crazy sometimes.

message 12: by Anirban (last edited Mar 13, 2016 10:57PM) (new) - added it

Anirban Nanda (anirbannanda) | 8 comments I am on Chapter 20. This book all about illogicality of war, and so every character goes through almost insane events and thought processes. Only a person who has witnessed war can write a book like this. The chapter titled 'Luciana', or the one before 'Piltchard and Wren' give glimpses of acute sense of insecurity during war. So far this is a wonderful book and should be read slowly.

Britany Finally getting to this one- a little behind. There are times where I find myself giggling over the absurdity of it all. Part of me wishes that this were shorter, it's taking me a while to get through it. Confusing at times with the back and forth.

It is a bit confusing in places, but I found it more or less made sense (chronologically anyway) by the end.