The Modern Library 100 Best Novels Challenge discussion

100 Best Novels - Discussion > Dune - Frank Herbert

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (last edited Jul 23, 2009 07:37PM) (new)

Stephanie Dune (Dune Chronicles #1) by Frank Herbert

August 2009 - Post comments here!

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie As a side note to my initial posting on Bridge, this book was also shelved in the adult and YA sections of my library. That might be something worth discussing with our first two books - I did not plan that! ;)

message 3: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Yikes! This is one of those I had tried to read years ago and just couldn't get past the first chapter. I got it at the library yesterday and tried again - no go. Gonna have to stick with just The Bridge of San Luis Rey this time!

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Oh no! I haven't started this one yet and I generally do not like Sci-Fi at all...I was hoping this little book might be a gateway for me to try some more Sci-Fi and broaden my horizons a little. I am going to go in optimistic and see what happens.

message 5: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Stephanie - Since this is a CHALLENGE, perhaps I should leave it there on the table for a few days and try again -- at least get to page 50 maybe. I'm like you in that I generally don't like Sci-Fi, so maybe I just have to tough it out!!

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Alright, so I started Dune today. The first four pages sparked a great deal of eye-rolling and general annoyance on my part. Too many weird names, titles, places, jobs...BUT, I kept reading, and I think it will be okay. I am only about 20 pages into it.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Stephanie wrote: "Alright, so I started Dune today. The first four pages sparked a great deal of eye-rolling and general annoyance on my part. Too many weird names, titles, places, jobs...BUT, I kept reading, and I ..."

I am replying to myself. I read about 30 more pages last night, and I am really having a hard time with this sci-fi stuff. Has anyone read this before?

message 8: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Oooh, I haven't started it again yet, but I was going to try to get to page 50 at least this time. Sounds like you are there and I think the reading will be slow for me, too. I'm still going to try, though. I challenge you to at least 150 pages - I'm not going to have any computer access for a week, so that gives us both time to slog through, er, read it. (At least challenging you gives me a goal, whether I end up finishing it or not.)

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 57 comments I grabbed the 40th anniversary edition today from the library. I know I have a copy of Dune somewhere here at home, but I suspect it's hiding in the attic and it's too hot to bother with that search. This one doesn't thrill me, not a Sci-Fi fan, but I'll attempt it.

message 10: by Garlan ✌ (new)

Garlan ✌ I finally found a copy this weekend. I've never read Dune, but I once was a pretty big Sci-Fi fan. I never cared to watch the movie either - not sure why. But I will attempt to start this one this week.

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lynn wrote: "Oooh, I haven't started it again yet, but I was going to try to get to page 50 at least this time. Sounds like you are there and I think the reading will be slow for me, too. I'm still going to t..."

Alright, I will vow to read at least 150. Even if I have no idea what the hell is going on with all of the crazy names and titles and other sci-fi mumbo-jumbo that makes me dislike the genre in general. ;)

message 12: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Dove (brookeanndove) I had to ask for help from the librarian. I didn't know that it was big series...Luckily I found the one copy of just Dune.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 57 comments I can't believe I'm really doing this! It's gonna be a looooong month!

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Dune stares me down from the bookshelf each day as I reach for something that is, well, not Dune.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 57 comments I knocked a few more pages out tonight and actually thought if it wasn't for so many strange names I might enjoy this. I just have a hard time processing some of the language. I'm worried if I don't get it down I'm going to miss an integral part of the story. Maybe I should worry less and not be such a stickler for details?

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie That is my approach. Disregard names so much, and try to just get the story. Haha...kind of like War and Peace with all of the crazy Russian names?

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Stephanie wrote: "That is my approach. Disregard names so much, and try to just get the story. Haha...kind of like War and Peace with all of the crazy Russian names? "

Lisa wrote: "I knocked a few more pages out tonight and actually thought if it wasn't for so many strange names I might enjoy this. I just have a hard time processing some of the language. I'm worried if I do..."

That's my approach too. It's interesting that the name's of the main characters, such as Jennifer and Paul. have more familiar sounding names

message 18: by Molly (new)

Molly Hart I am getting sucked in!! That is such a wonderful feeling when it is rather unsuspected. I have a sneaking suspicion that I am missing a lot of the symbolism and meaning, but I am very curious about how it is going to go...

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 57 comments I found I didn't have to force myself to read it yesterday, whereas the first couple of days I designated it as a chore. I'm getting more interested in the story and trying not to be intimidated by all the gobbledygook jargon.

message 20: by Garlan ✌ (new)

Garlan ✌ I started this one today. I agree w/all the comments about strange names and words; they do detract from the story a bit. However, I've read a lot of sci-fi in the past, and thats fairly common practice. I try not to linger too much on the strangeness of the words and names; they seem to eventually work themselves out over the course of the book. This was an extremely popular book many years ago. It was also made into a movie (or a TV series), so it must have some merit. That many thousands of people can't all be wrong. Then too, I've read very little of Stephen King, and NONE by Grisham or James Patterson, and they have legions of fans as well...

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lisa and Molly - Where are you at in the book? About what page?

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 57 comments I'm on page 82.

message 23: by Molly (new)

Molly Hart Page 78 of a copy that has 489 (minus the appendix). Jessica and Paul have been up to the conservatory/greenhouse? room. You stuck? I only just yesterday read the back cover, and since now I get that Paul is the guy "Muad/Dib," I am doing better.

message 24: by Molly (new)

Molly Hart My Busy as a Bee reads are on hold right now...

message 25: by Molly (new)

Molly Hart Where is everyone with Dune? Don't give up---keep going.....My Nintendo DS has pulled me away the last few days, but one of my friends that has already read Dune says that it slogs along in parts, and it will pick back up, so I am going to pick it back up tonight...

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 57 comments I'm on p.142, but i didn't get any reading done on it today. The 60 pages i read yesterday went quickly. It's not as bad as i originally thought it would be.

message 27: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Molly wrote: "Where is everyone with Dune? Don't give up---keep going.....My Nintendo DS has pulled me away the last few days, but one of my friends that has already read Dune says that it slogs along in parts, ..."

Yay to another adult that loves her Nintendo DS! I have been playing mine a lot lately too...it has been taking away from my reading.

message 28: by Garlan ✌ (last edited Aug 12, 2009 03:27PM) (new)

Garlan ✌ I'm currently on page 255 and am enjoying it more & more. The action has picked up quite a bit, and many of the characters are taking over their roles much better. I think this is going to be a pretty good read overall. I'm picking up on a lot of "things" or "themes" in the book that I have seen copied in other books/films. The most obvious being the sand worms that were portrayed in the movie(s) Tremors. I've seen reference to several other things that I've also come across in computer games and other books. I notice the book was first published in 1965, so I guess it influenced several people along the way.

message 29: by LynnB (new)

LynnB The story was okay as far as I got (end of Book I, page 196), though I really dislike books that require constant referral to a glossary in order to understand what is going on. Right from the beginning I noticed a huge amount of religious allegory, which was interesting to note as I read along. Although I can see where sci-fi fans would really like this book, it just did not appeal to me very much. I'll keep the book around and see if I get to the end of it sometime, but I need to get to reading something that really interests me.

message 30: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I'm having a hard time sticking with this one too...I keep going to other books instead of picking this up. I did get two copies from our Library and have my boyfriend reading it too. He is blowing past me (I'm usually the faster reader) and he's loving it. I'm going to do my best to stick with it, especially since so many of you sound encouraging.

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 57 comments Jenn, keep with it. I'm now over half-way done and I'm enjoying the story. I just have to ignore some of the techno-babble in order to do it. It's helped me to read this along with something else. It's not a book I can submerse myself in, because I'm not really a sci-fi fan, but it is engaging.

message 32: by Garlan ✌ (new)

Garlan ✌ I was looking for a connection between Frank Herbert and the Middle East since so many of the words and customs reminded me of the Islamic culture. I haven't found where he spent any time there or studied the culture, but I did find an interesting web page that gives the Arabic spelling and meaning of a lot of the words found in the book. Heres the link if interested: http://baheyeldin.com/literature/arab...

message 33: by Garlan ✌ (new)

Garlan ✌ I finished this one last night. All in all, a pretty good book. The language was strange and a bit hard to follow, but the story was good overall. I gave it a 3 star rating.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) finished this weekend, see own progress strand for review. It under members progress and its titled- vikz challenge getting there.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Garlan wrote: "I was looking for a connection between Frank Herbert and the Middle East since so many of the words and customs reminded me of the Islamic culture. I haven't found where he spent any time there or..."

Thanks for this, sounds interesting

message 36: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie No, I will not finish it. It feels like homework. I keep picking up every other library book I have at home instead of this one. I gave it 100 pages and I just can't do it. I am going to get an early start on the September books.

I tried, I really did. Maybe one day I will come back to it. I saw the potential, but right now it is NOT what I want to read.

message 37: by Lisa (last edited Aug 22, 2009 11:14PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 57 comments DONE! I'm a little amazed that I found I liked this book and am interested in finding out what happens further in the series. Admittedly, it was a little slow going at first due to the foreign wordage and scientific gobbledygook; but once I decided to not let that deter me, I became caught up in the story. This isn't something I'd want to read a lot of, yet I'm glad I completed this. I'd be interested in seeing the movie now.

message 38: by Eric (new)

Eric pearson finished this. It took me a lot longer than I thought it would. I did like it but was kinda put off by having to look up words in the glossary to understand their meaning. I thought it was well writen and he managed to create a very believable world.

message 39: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Eric wrote: "finished this. It took me a lot longer than I thought it would. I did like it but was kinda put off by having to look up words in the glossary to understand their meaning. I thought it was well wri..."

That was one of the problems I had too. I felt I spent entirely too much time with the glossary.

The Modern Library 100 Best Novels Challenge

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dune (other topics)