Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

General Chatting > "Problem" POC Characters

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganscoils) | 674 comments Have you ever noticed that many times characters of color have "problems" in books, most often when the author is not a POC? The few books I read by white authors when they decided to throw a minority in there, they have a stereotypical name and issues.

Jamal plays basketball well but his dad is missing and his mom is strung out on drugs. He ties his locs in a rubber band so they don't get in his face when he makes free throws.
Juan is an illegal immigrant. Although he has been here since 1, he still has a thick accent as if he learned English 2 years ago. He often will throw a Spanish word or two in his speech and not notice.
DeShae is pregnant and fighting with her boyfriend. Her mom has kicked her out the house so she is search for a couch or shelter.

Either that or they have skin as smooth as silk, that is as dark as licorice and she has gray eyes that of course is stunning against her dark skin.

Am I tripping or does this happen?

message 2: by Shirl (new)

Shirl In (shirlindc) | 25 comments It happens but not all the time. Perhaps you should expand. I've read several books where the black character was strong, had no "issues" except trying to navigate the field of love and dating and relationships. Two books come to mind, Reye's Gold and Friends Forever. If I recall correctly, The President's Girlfriend, the main female character, she did not have "issues."

You are right in a sense, some of the IR books do have repeated story lines and a lot of them are not attractive. I think there is another thread that addresses some of the repeated stories such as the billionaires or mafia storyline. I'm sick and tired of that crap.

message 3: by Paganalexandria (last edited Feb 29, 2016 08:02AM) (new)

Paganalexandria  | 4060 comments Megan wrote: "Have you ever noticed that many times characters of color have "problems" in books, most often when the author is not a POC? The few books I read by white authors when they decided to throw a minor..."

I don't think you're tripping. Yes that definitely happens. It doesn't just happen in books. I'm a soap opera fan, and can't count how many times new black characters are brought on not knowing how to read. Seriously?

message 4: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6601 comments Mod
You can find those kinf of problems in books written by black people as well. You can also find those problems in black movies.