Read A Song Of Ice And Fire 2016 discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Read Any Other Works by GRRM?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brendan (new)

Brendan | 133 comments Mod
Thought it would be interesting to find out if anybody in this group has read any other book by George R. R. Martin besides the ones in A Song of Ice and Fire series. If so, which one have you read? Without giving any spoilers, what was the book about? What did you like about the book? What did you not like about it? List anything else you would like to share concerning his other works.

message 2: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 1283 comments Mod
I have not but after seeing how much I love ASOIAF I certainly intend to.

message 3: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

Roseanne | 674 comments Mod
Not yet but I plan to.

message 4: by Brendan (new)

I am planning on reading the Tales of Dunk and Egg. Apparently they are prequel to SOIF. They look like pretty quick novellas.

message 5: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

oh those look interesting and they are very short. I would thing George's idea of a novella would be 500 pages but it looks like they are all under 100. I wonder if anyone would be interested in reading them together.

message 6: by Ria (last edited Feb 28, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments Oh, I have that one (the Tales, I mean)! At first I wondered if it was the same thing, because the translated title is "The Knight from the Seven Kingdoms", which has nothing to do with the original title :D Haven't read it though, I'm saving it for a time when I feel like reading ASoIaF but it's too soon to re-read and there's no new books. Plus, I'd like to read The World of Ice and Fire first. Btw, has anyone read that one? I read a lot of nasty comments about it on GR, I was wondering what y'all thought about it.

message 7: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

I would but after I have read book #5. I think after #5 we could be in for more of a wait till #6. So that might help fill that void. If you find other people sooner certainly go for it.

message 8: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Oh but I did read this and loved it:

The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister by George R.R. Martin

I forgot about that. It's a cute bathroom read.

message 9: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

in the lull sounds like a good idea to me. Who knows how long we will be waiting. I saw three really short ones but I couldn't find them on amazon.

message 10: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

These are the ones I saw but I cant figure out where to get them from

The Hedge Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #1) by George R.R. Martin The Sworn Sword (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #2) by George R.R. Martin The Mystery Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #3) by George R.R. Martin

message 11: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

this one?

I am not 100% sure but I think it has all three novellas and it can be bought at Indigo, Coles or Chapters - basically the Canadian Barnes and Nobels kind of place.

message 12: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

Really? That I've seen online.

message 13: by Brendan (new)

Books a million and Amazon sell them too. Think we should all do a group on these at some point.

message 14: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Sounds good Brendan; is my link the correct book?

message 15: by Omar (new)

Omar Foster | 44 comments The tales of Dunk and Egg are good books. They're not really related to now but it does tell you about a few of the Targaryens. Bittersteal and Bloodraven are in them though if you're interested in who they are/ were.
Also, The Rogue Prince and The Princess and the Queen tell the story leading up to and the events of The Dance of Dragons. It's written like A world of Ice and Fire as a Maestar. So he recalls the events instead of the POV chapters. It was a little fast for my liking ignoring some of the detail but still a nice read.
I loved A World of Ice and Fire though, it tells so much that you would never know. The illustrations are beautiful as well.

message 16: by Brendan (last edited Mar 02, 2016 06:31PM) (new)

Not exactly by GRRM, but still a pretty cool book. My wife bought this for my birthday back in December because I love to cook and I love SOIF. I studied Renaissance Literature in England and love recipes from the medieval and Renaissance time period. This book has some pretty good ones and they are the authentic recipes with modern versions. Pretty awesome book!!! Here is the book.

A Feast of Ice and Fire The Official Game of Thrones Companion Cookbook by Chelsea Monroe-Cassel

message 17: by Brendan (new)

The link posted is a picture of the book. If someone could help/tell me how to post pics on here it would be great.

message 18: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

on the right side of the top of the comment box it says "add book/author" click that and you can search. If you are on an app I don't think you can do it.

message 19: by Brendan (new)

Yes Rosanne it was the app I was trying to send a pic through.

message 20: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Should I add A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms as a Nov. read?

If by some miracle The Winds of Winter is out we can change the date.

message 21: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

I think that is a great idea. I read a rumor that GRRM is pulling a Willie Wonka on the last book. Supposedly there is something in 5 books and if you get one you write a sample and the winner is going to finish the book because he doesn't want to write it anymore. I know I shouldnt believe everything I read on the internet. I hope its not true.

message 22: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments Roseanne wrote: "I think that is a great idea. I read a rumor that GRRM is pulling a Willie Wonka on the last book. Supposedly there is something in 5 books and if you get one you write a sample and the winner is g..."
Well, I sincerely doubt that's true. Might be that that's just my wishful thinking talking, but for someone who turned down so many people wanting to turn ASoIaF into a TV show because he thought they didn't know the books well enough, this method is way too random. Besides, if he doesn't want to write it, he can just wrap it up quickly and end it with The Winds of Winter, right?

message 23: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Roseanne wrote: "I think that is a great idea. I read a rumor that GRRM is pulling a Willie Wonka on the last book. Supposedly there is something in 5 books and if you get one you write a sample and the winner is g..."

Whoa I really hope that is not true. But I do wish he would hurry the hell up with the book!

message 24: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

I went to my city library and noticed they did have A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms . Yay! Now let's hope it is still available when this book rolls around.

But I did get myself on the waiting list for the audio book. Once it is my turn I can save the mp3 to my computer and will have it for when it is time. Audiobooks are not my favorite but one way or another I will get this book This book is so darn expensive - $37 here. Is that expensive or am I just being cheap? ☹☹

message 25: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

I think its expensive but I am a library girl.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.