Start by marking “The Hedge Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hedge Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #1)

The Hedge Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg #1)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  15,879 Ratings  ·  627 Reviews
A novella originally published August 25, 1998 in the Legends anthology, edited by Robert Silverberg. Set in the world of the Song of Ice and Fire series eighty-nine years before the events of the main cycle, the story relates the adventures of Dunk (eponymously called Ser Duncan the Tall) and his squire, Egg.
Published 2005 (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Hedge Knight, please sign up.

Suzanne Sinclair You can now buy A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, which contains The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight, from Amazon.

Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-books
This short story is so refreshing after the marathon that is ASOIAF. When I read this the first time, I had just finished up the first 5 books in a row. I was completely exhausted and not interested in reading anything else anytime soon. About a week went by and I found my curiosity about these prequel short stories couldn't be put at bay any longer.

In The Hedge Knight, we meet Dunk and Egg and go on a journey with them to a tourney. While the original books are absolutely amazing, they can be

I have to say that comic books, which are sometimes called graphic novels now, have become more sophisticated. Writers like Moore, Gaiman and Miller, among others, have brought complex and dark realism.

THE HEDGE KNIGHT is more of a medieval knight's tale with a great deal of enriched history to a fantasy world of great complexity.

In this tale, a knight with no lord to follow joins a tourney in the hopes of securing fame and fortune (i.e. winners in medieval tourneys sometimes got to keep the
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very interesting prelude to the Song of Ice & Fire series. I really liked the characters & it was interesting seeing the ancestors of other characters I've come to know so well.
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I never knew how much I needed this until now!!! I have missed westeros so much and this was such a great way to see it from a different perspective and time! Dunk and Egg are the duo we deserve, I love them and their dynamic so much! This story felt so meaningful and I truly adored it, looking forward to seeing what these two get up to!!
Markus Molina
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Perhaps, I'm a bit biased, I can admit that. I love Westeros. I love A Song of Ice and Fire. I didn't give every book five stars, so I feel I'm reasonable enough. With that being said, I loved this short story.

My initial fear when I first heard of this story was that neither Dunk nor Egg, the two protagonists, would have anything to do with the main story in ASOIAF. That turns out to be not true, so I just wanted to put that out there. A lot of Daenery's great relatives make appearances and both
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Having read all of Martin's Song of Fire and Ice significantly faster than he's writing new ones, and considering he doesn't seem to be making much progress with the next one: four years between the last book and the next, I was at a bit of a loose end for my Westeros fix. Luckily Martin has already published a trio of prequel short stories. Prequel is stretching the definition as this first one is set approximately 100 years before the events of A Game of Thrones but the families and names fr ...more
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Welcome one and all to The Hedge Knight book one of the remarkable prequel series to A Song of Ice and Fire. The Hedge Knight focuses on Dunk a young man whose master, friend, and mentor Ser Arlan of Pennytree has recently died. Dunk finds himself at a crossroads wondering if he should become a hedge knight like Ser Arlan or join a city watch for a simpler more stable life and future. Dunk decides to be a hedge knight. Dunk the Lunk as Ser Arlan affectionately called him took the moniker Ser Dun ...more
Yannis Karatsioris
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great one-day read.
In the medieval setting of Westeros -about a century before Ice and Fire- Dunk, the hedge knight, aspires to be acknowledged as equal to other knights of the realm. He takes part in a tournament where renowned knights of the Seven Kingdoms, the Kingsguard and royalty (we get to see Targaryens at play) compete as well.
Amidst the jousting and the acts of bravery on the field, a minor quarrel escalates to a sentence of death, which finds the hedge knight in its center. The tri
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, best-in-2015
I really love ASOFAI so this biased review should be taken with a pillar of salt.

Loved it. More knights of Westeros and a jousting tourney made for a great read. This is the first of three novellas about Aegon Targaryen aka Egg and his squiring for Ser Duncan a hedge knight.

Fun read and an absolute must for fans of the series. Not sure why I waited so long.
Hamad Al-Failakawi
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Aha... If this was meant to prove something; it would *certainly* be that I'm doomed to sink deeper and deeper into the world of A Song of Ice and Fire. This short novella carries everything I loved in the series. Starting with the romanticism and the silky-smooth narrative, then the complex characters, great plot and the serenity that hovers when you finish up a great story.
The Hedge Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg #1)

First story in the Dunk and Egg's series, where we meet the two main characters. In this short novella we got a bit of everything that makes Martin's books so good, including a small portion of epicness.
محمد على عطية

A very nice piece of art about Chivalry, Nobility, Courage, Prowess and Passion . The accidents taking place here are about 100 years before what we read in (A Song of Ice and Fire). I really liked it and did love the spirit it was written with as it goes in complete harmony with the other books and with (The World of Ice and Fire).

This story is about how Dunk (Ser Duncan the Tall) met Egg (Aegon V afterwards) the Son of Maekar I and the Brother of Maester Aemon :). and How they started their jo
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of George R. R. Martin’s most loved series, A Song of Ice and Fire, are always looking for more tales set in the world we adore so much. Being such a fan myself, The Hedge Knight was a must read.

The Tales of Dunk and Egg take place around one hundred years prior to the complicated story known as A Song of Ice and Fire. The Hedge Knight is the first of the prelude stories. These tales are not a necessity to understand the main series, but they’re a lot of fun for those fans who wish for a li
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I miss reading his books, so this is a great find. All the old favorite house names brought to life again, House Targaryen, House Baratheon and many more. Lots of action, a great little story. On to the next one in the Tales of Dunk and Egg :)
Yvonne Mendez
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Now I get the appeal Sansa Stark feels when reading of tales from chivalrous Knights and their brave deeds, even the brutal battle scenes seems magical and romantic. With Dunk aka Ser Duncan the Tall, I get what a "True Knight" is supposed to be like, even though he's nothing more than a Hedge Knight, he is tall and handsome and brave and protects the weak and so dreamy!

The tale is based in the land of Westeros, 100 years before the tales of Ice and Fire began, when the Targaryans were the maste
I've missed reading anything about Westeros so much!
I read A Dance with Dragons in June. Haven't seen anything on Game of Thrones since then except for reading threads on
This was a super cool introduction to Westeros, again. There are some problems but they are always welcome.
This was only about Jousting, Knighthood, and swordplay. Couldn't they write anything about more cool stuff like Children of Forest, Valyria Before the Doom, or Asshai?
Anyway I liked it and I will keep rea
Nimrod Daniel
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I listened to the audiobook version of The Hedge Knight, and it's worth mentioning that the narrator did a really good job.
The first half was somewhat slow, though it was just the build up for the rest of the story. After the first half the storyline gears up until the very end with lots of intrigues. All in all I can say that I enjoyed reading this short story, and I plan on reading the other dunk and egg's adventures.

What I'd probably remember from the book is the following quote - "Dunk the l
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Martin shows that, at heart, he's a soppy old romantic like the rest of us with this witty, lighthearted and sometimes exciting adventure of a poor knight (Dunk - That's Ser Duncan the Tall to you) determined to prove his worth in the troubled world of Westeros ruled over by the Targaryens a slightly crazy royal dynasty, full of both the most noble and the most viscous examples of mankind. Dunk, of course, comes face to face with both kinds in this story which is perfectly tooled to be readable ...more
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Starts out slow, but The Hedge Knight soon finds its footing, and proves itself a worthy addition to the world of Ice and Fire. It can always be difficult writing what is essentially a prequel, as the stakes are often so greatly lowered as to be all but nonexistent. See the Star Wars prequels for example, where knowing how all the characters are going to end up saps all the tension and drama from the work. The Hedge Knight sidesteps all this by setting itself quite a long time before the events ...more
Jonathan Maas
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Want to satisfy your A Game of Thrones craving? Here is your next book. A graphic novel set a hundred years before Ned Stark and company, it tells the tale of a Hedge Knight. I like if for too many reasons, but in short Mike S. Miller and co.'s artwork is phenomenal. Second of all, this is the first George RR tale in awhile told from the bottom - ie not a nobleman, but a knight risen from Flea Bottom. Five stars!
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Well, I've finally read some Martin, at Scott Andrews' insistence.* It was a very good story, despite the horse abuse. Complex characters, a slow build, some good surprises along the way, and a resonant ending. I'm not going to run out and read the ASOIAF series, but maybe I'll consider Armageddon Rag.

*I've read some early Wildcards stuff too...
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Hedge Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg #1), George R.R. Martin
شوالیه پرچین خواب
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Ό,τι πρέπει για τους φανατικούς αναγνώστες του Martin που θα γνωρίσουν από την αρχή έναν αγαπημένο τόπο τους, ανακαλύπτοντας και κάποιες μικρές αλήθειες που ίσως αγνοούσαν.
মাহাতাব রশীদ
It's almost 4:30 on the morning and there's a heavy storm brewing outside, while I'm writing this review just after finishing the Novella. Must say, I'm lucky to be able to enjoy this story in such perfect ambiance.

Imagine Westeros, without any war raging through it's heart, either cold or bloody. In such time when Westeros was all about kings and princes, about castles and towns, about tourneys and festivals and about myths and memorirs of dragons, 89 years prior to the events of 'A Game of Thr
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was really fun and I'm kind of mad at myself as a Martin fan for not checking it out sooner. If you like A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones at all, you should do yourself a favor and read the The Hedge Knight and its two (soon to be three) sequels.

The Hedge Knight is a hundred-ish page novella that takes place in Westeros (the same world as ASOIAF), approximately ninety years before the events of A Game of Thrones. It is the first in a series of novellas that follow the adventures of Se
May 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
This novel is set in the same universe as the Game of Thrones series, though the action takes place a century before. As such, it draws the inevitable comparisons to Game of Thrones, so I thought I might start my review there.

The world of Game of Thrones is, magic excepted, a simplication of our own world. We have telecommunications: telephone networks, internet, mobiles, etc. The Game of Thrones world has ravens, and communicate between castles by attaching messages to their legs. We have the w
Ish Healy
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Set in the same world as George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series, “The Hedge Knight” is the first in a series of short stores (and graphic novels) about Ser Duncan the Tall, or Dunk, and his squire Egg. “The Hedge Knight,” and the other stories in the Tales of Dunk and Egg are set about a hundred years before the events of A Song of Ice and Fire.

As mentioned, “The Hedge Knight” is the first in this series and follows Dunk as he enters the Tourney of Ashford, following the death of his
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, reviews
No pensé que llegara a gustarme tanto algo tan cortito.
Me gustó mucho leer sobre Targaryen vivos, en sus mejores momentos como reyes de Poniente.
A veces odiaba a Dunk, pero terminé queriéndolo un poquito. Cada día te quiero/odio más Martin.
5 de 5.
Brandon Baker
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Oh, how I miss George's writing from this time period. Edited properly to be precise and engaging. Something I think he lost in the last 2 main books.
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, 2013
Once I start reading this during lunch break, I can't stop! I'm excited to read more, it's the feeling I get when I first read AGoT.
GeeklyInc Book Club: The Hedge Knight Discussion 10 10 May 04, 2017 10:21AM
  • The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword (The Hedge Knight Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Schatten über Ulldart (Ulldart - Die Dunkle Zeit, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: Comic Book, Issue 10
  • Some Desperado
  • Ponies
  • Tower of the Hand: A Flight of Sorrows
  • Beyond the Wall: Exploring George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
  • The Second Draeken War (Combined Edition)
  • Magician: Apprentice, Volume 1 (Graphic Novel)
  • The Sacred Band (Acacia, #3)
  • Frost and Fire
  • Opowieści z meekhańskiego pogranicza. Północ - Południe
  • Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • Legends II
George R.R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...

The Tales of Dunk and Egg (3 books)
  • The Sworn Sword (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #2)
  • The Mystery Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Great Pursuit (Eurona Duology, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $10.29 $2.99
  • Neverwhere
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Reamde
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Shadow of Empire (Far Star Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Welcome to Night Vale
    $7.49 $2.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
“A hedge knight must hold tight to his pride. Without it, he was no more than a sellsword” 14 likes
“Dunk the lunk, thick as a castle wall.” 6 likes