The Miniaturist (The Miniaturist, #1) The Miniaturist question

Loved it! But kind of misleading in its description?
Pola Pola Feb 27, 2016 02:53PM
So, I just finished the book and found it enthralling to say the least. There were so many twists and turns; I literally read the last 200 pages in one sitting.

But, I do have a kind of question/disappointment (too strong a word for such a brilliant book?) In the description on the book, it mentions that "the miniaturist seems to hold their fate in her hands--but does she plan to save or destroy them?" Having this in mind while reading the book, I was actually looking forward to what the miniaturist could do, especially to save the protagonists. However, I felt that she didn't really play any special part. She could foretell the events, but that was all (I mean, not that this is something menial, but let's say for a moment that it is taken for granted that magic exists, taken the events into account).

Did you feel like there was an OPTION for the events to take a turn to the best or worst by the hands of the miniaturist? And if so, when Nella destroyed the miniatures of the Meermans' and Jack, how come nothing happened to them? If the fate of the miniatures and the people involved could be decided by Nella's and the miniaturist's creations, shouldn't there have been some kind of punishment on the people that have so much hurt her and whose miniature lives she destroyed? Or is there something that I am not getting?

Thanks, everyone! I would be really glad to know how you interpret the whole thing.

I agree 100% with you. I loved this book, but not for what I was led to believe the book was about. I almost felt as if the miniaturist was placed in the book as some kind of hook, something placed after the main novel was written. It stuck out and actually didn't really make much sense to me. I kept waiting for something to happen with the threadbare story line, but nothing.

Pola Thanks for your comment, Weeb! I am glad to see that someone else agrees with me on that one. I thought that maybe I am missing something in relation ...more
Feb 29, 2016 06:15AM · flag