Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > April 2016 Random Read Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 4746 comments Mod
April will be a Random Read month. You can vote for any book that meets the below qualifications. The sky is the limit otherwise.

Considerations:

1. One nomination per group member. The books must be nominated with a Goodreads link by clicking on 'add book/author'. If a book does not have a Goodreads link, it will not be added to the poll.
2. Books need to be readily available, ie, in print (able to buy new or in ebook format).
3. Books should have some degree of action/adventure content.
4. Past group reads are not eligible to be nominated again. The past group discussions remain open for members to comment. You may see the list of past reads here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

5. Books must be either standalone or first in a series (or they may be later in a series if constructed to be read as a standalone).

The poll will go up on March 4th.

message 2: by Robert (new)

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Feb 26, 2016 08:08PM) (new)

Robert wrote: "Nailed"

Hi Robert. We do ask authors not to nominate their own books. If you would like to submit another nomination that is not written by you, you're welcome to do so.

Cited from our Group Reads General Information thread:

*Books can be written by group members so long as they have been voted for by a majority in a group poll. As a general etiquette request, we ask that authors do not nominate their own books. If another group member nominates a book by an author member, that is fine.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Morris | 22 comments OK, how about Marathon Man

message 5: by Justin (last edited Feb 26, 2016 09:48PM) (new)

Justin Looking at all the past reads I'm really surprised that there hasn't been any David Morrell. He is one of the best. So I'd like to nominate.
The Brotherhood of the Rose

message 6: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1984 comments Mod
Justin wrote: "Looking at all the past reads I'm really surprised that there hasn't been any David Morrell. He is one of the best. So I'd like to nominate.
The Brotherhood of the Rose"

I read this years ago and really enjoyed!

message 7: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Feb 26, 2016 10:03PM) (new)

Lisa P | 1984 comments Mod
I will nominate Captain Riley Captain Riley (The Captain Riley Adventures Book 1) by Fernando Gamboa

The numerous references to "Firefly of the WWII era" definitely caught my attention.

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin I have read all of his books. He is one of my favorite authors. I was thinking of nominating First blood, but figured everyone already knows the story

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 814 comments Justin wrote: "Looking at all the past reads I'm really surprised that there hasn't been any David Morrell. He is one of the best. So I'd like to nominate.
The Brotherhood of the Rose"

I agree with Lisa. I've been wanting to read it again. There are 2 others associated with this - one a direct sequel - aren't there? He might even make an appearance if we ask. He did in another group here in Dec 2015.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

FWIW, I never mind rereading First Blood. That's his best book, although Last Reveille gives it a run. Still, I like your current nomination, so won't make one of my own.

Sorry for straying so far off topic, Danielle! Don't spank me, please?!!!
;)

message 10: by Justin (new)

Justin It was hard to pick one to nominate all his are good. Almost nominated The Fifth Profession. But then saw the kindle price is 12.99

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin Oh and yes it is first of 3

message 12: by Magiccats (new)

Magiccats | 280 comments I have The Fifth Profession, just haven't had a chance to read it yet. Too many on my too read list. LOL.

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin fifth profession is a great book you should put it to the top of your pile. maybe we should just have a David morrell theme one month

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Jim wrote: "Justin wrote: "Looking at all the past reads I'm really surprised that there hasn't been any David Morrell. He is one of the best. So I'd like to nominate.
The Brotherhood of the Rose..."

I guarantee I won't spank you. :)

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 814 comments sigh... another opportunity lost...
;)

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Jim wrote: "sigh... another opportunity lost...
;)"

LOL!

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I would like to nominate Remote Control by Andy McNab.

message 18: by Magiccats (new)

Magiccats | 280 comments Lisa P wrote: "Justin wrote: "Looking at all the past reads I'm really surprised that there hasn't been any David Morrell. He is one of the best. So I'd like to nominate.
The Brotherhood of the Rose..."

I started this one yesterday and once I got through the meeting at the beginning then I started to REALLY enjoy this book. I haven't read any action for awhile as I went into a lag and had to switch genres for a bit. Thanks for recommending this one.

message 19: by Justin (new)

Justin that's awesome. it's been about 15 years since I read it. I think I'm going to re-read the trilogy

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The poll is up. It will close on March 11th at 11:59 pm.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 21: by Magiccats (new)

Magiccats | 280 comments Magiccats wrote: "Lisa P wrote: "Justin wrote: "Looking at all the past reads I'm really surprised that there hasn't been any David Morrell. He is one of the best. So I'd like to nominate.
[book:The Brotherhood of ..."

Just finished it last night. I had to stay up late as I couldn't put it down. Great Book!!!

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The Brotherhood of the Rose won the poll. The discussion will begin on April 1st. Thanks for participating in the nomination process!