Start by marking “Last Reveille” as Want to Read:
Last Reveille

Last Reveille

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  272 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The U.S. Cavalry calls out tough, hard-drinking wilderness fighter Miles Calendar to uproot Pancho Villa and his band of guerrillas from the rugged Mexican province of Chihuahua in the early 1900s.
Published March 4th 1995 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Last Reveille, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Reveille

Jim
This is Morrell's first try at historical fiction & was excellent. While I've read this before, it was a long time ago, probably about when it came out in the late 70's. My old paperback is missing the front cover, but is appropriately stamped with a used book store from Fayetteville, NC. I would have bought it while stationed at Ft. Bragg while doing time in the 82d as a young soldier. Anyway, I wanted to read it again while he is answering questions in a group I belong to here on GR:
https:
it'chy
Sep 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: w
i'm better off watching a film of similar story;
at least i was following the story and not dozing off

maybe i should have brushed up on the pancho villa expedition before i tackled this book
Jeff Swystun
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: literature
Yes, of course, I read the book but I have to start with what was at the end. Not the end of the story, the end of the book. I learned in the "About the Author" section that David Morrell is a fellow Canadian. He took a big chance at a relatively young age and left for America and the rest, as they say, is history. The author of First Blood, Desperate Measures, Creepers, and Scavengers and the founder of International Thriller Writers establishes a great premise in Last Reveille. He conceptualiz ...more
Martin Hill
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
David Morrell is best known as a thriller writer, but the author of First Blood, the original Rambo story, often tries on different hats. His novel, Shimmer, for instance, was science fiction, while his latest book, Murder as a Fine Art, is a Victorian murder mystery. In Last Reveille, Morrell again goes off the beaten track. This book is less a thriller than a war story, and less a war story than a character study.

The book takes place in 1916 during the Punitive Expedition, the American army fo
Dale
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
David Morrell is one of my favorite authors. The only problem with being a Morrell fan is that he's not a big name author like King, Koontz or Grisham. You have to explain who he is to author book people and they usually get turned off when you mention one of the most famous characters in fiction: Rambo. Too bad because Morrell writes multiple genres - supense, historical fiction, horror - and he does them well and he is definitely should be known more as the creator of the cartoonish image most ...more
Luckngrace
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
An easy, quick read, this book didn't just include the many great history lessons from the Civl War through the Indian Wars and on to culminate in the chase into Mexico for Pancho Villa. To me, it's greatest value lies in the character study of the old man who has seen and done it all and his young student. One weird aspect was the fact that the trek into Mexico was right around the time horses were being replaced with motor vehicles and many men were being called up to fight WWI. Military men t ...more
Steven
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An older man who is a great warrior mentors a young soldier as they pursue Pancho Villa in Mexico under General Pershing just before the US entry into World War I. The old man tells of his life experiences as he and the young man develop a friendship. The writing reminded me of both Hemingway and Cormac McCarthy, particularly the latters, "Blood Meridian." While not flawless, I loved this novel, and thought it David Morrell's finest. I was sorry it ended.
Eric
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
About a 4.5 star rating. Historical fiction. A very underrated book in my opinion. I've read this 3 times and loved it every time. The characters are rich, dialogue strong, and the dynamics in the relationships are intriguing. Very close to 5-stars.
Michael Rigg
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
David Morrell weaves a masterful story of an old man and the youth who learns valuable lessons about being a soldier and growing up, using the pre-WWI raid on Columbus, New Mexico and the subsequent expedition to capture Pancho Villa as a backdrop.
Armand
Mar 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I was expecting some kind of western gung ho action typical of his action besellers but couldn't really get if the author wanted this to be a historical retelling or a western action tale. Good enough but not as gripping as his usual novel.s
Charles
Jul 17, 2008 rated it liked it
It's hard to classify this book. It's historical adventure, but not quite a western. It wasn't bad but didn't resonate with me as well as his more contemporary thrillers have.
Jason Reeser
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid Western set in Mexico, in the early 1900's.
Allison Ann
Jan 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned, tt-iii
I much prefer his later books, this one didn't grab my interest and pull me into the story.
Paul Strittmatter
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Second Objective
  • Blood of the Albatross
  • Wyatt Earp: Frontier Marshal
  • The Venetian Judgment (Agent Micah Dalton, #3)
  • Wolfsbane (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #1)
  • Pacific Beat
  • Panzer Soldier (Casca, #4)
  • Rides A Hero (Slater Brothers, #2)
  • The Year of Jubilo: A Novel of the Civil War
  • Captive (Florida Civil War, #2)
  • The Moscow Club
  • Virgin
  • The Marlow Chronicles
David Morrell is a Canadian novelist from Kitchener, Ontario, who has been living in the United States for a number of years. He is best known for his debut 1972 novel First Blood, which would later become a successful film franchise starring Sylvester Stallone. More recently, he has been writing the Captain America comic books limited-series The Chosen.
More about David Morrell

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
  • Challenger Deep
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Yellow Crocus
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone