North & South discussion

General > N&S Variations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Myra (new)

Myra | 10 comments Can anyone recommend a good sequel or variation on North sand South.
Thanks Myra

message 2: by Trudy (last edited May 01, 2014 09:47AM) (new)

Trudy Brasure | 442 comments Mod
My favorite sequel to the book is an unpublished work found at an internet forum for N&S/ Richard Armitage lovers: C19. If you join the site you can read many variations stories for free. 'Pack Clouds Away' is my favorite and is a perfect sequel to the book. I also love 'True North' and all the variations written by a member named Kleindog.
If you love the romance part of the story, you may well enjoy my two stories: A Heart for Milton and In Consequence. They're available to read for free at C19 or for purchase at Amazon, etc.
I can't heartily recommend any other for sale stories because I'm really very particular that the characters and story stay true to Gaskell's creation.

message 3: by Sophie, ~I've seen hell, and it's white...~ (new)

Sophie | 262 comments Mod
You have written some?! Oh! I must have a look!

message 4: by Sophie, ~I've seen hell, and it's white...~ (new)

Wow they sound brilliant! I love what if variations of P&P so I should try these for N&S! And you say they have a bigger focus on the romance?! That will be right up my street! (Are they still clean stories?)

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne | 82 comments Soph wrote: "Wow they sound brilliant! I love what if variations of P&P so I should try these for N&S! And you say they have a bigger focus on the romance?! That will be right up my street! (Are they still clea..."

I wanted to read A Heart for Milton, but when I looked at the reviews I saw that it wasn't clean ):

message 6: by Trudy (last edited May 01, 2014 10:35AM) (new)

For part of my stories, they are married and face challenges together. So I couldn't avoid covering their physical union and great attraction to physical unity. But they're married, and I can't see anything wrong with describing a little of the beauty and potent emotions that accompany the unique relationship between a husband and wife newly married and very much in love. I tried to keep things sweet and tasteful as much as possible while still describing the intensity of feelings.
In short, the honeymoon chapters are rated a gentle R and the rest of their married life I only allude to their intimate encounters.
I don't like smut and never ever read books that have a cover with a half-dressed man on it. Lol!

message 7: by Sophie, ~I've seen hell, and it's white...~ (new)

Thanks Trudy. That sounds ok for me.

So which is your favourite of the two?

I want to read them both - more romance between Thornton and Margaret yes please! A Heart For Milton I really want to read!

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne | 82 comments Thank you Trudy! It still sounds outside my comfort zone, but Soph if you read it and you think it's really good and well worth it, I would love to give it a try. I love N&S and wouldn't mind more romance between Thornton and Margaret! :)

message 9: by Trudy (new)

A Heart for Milton was born of my great love for Gaskell's story. I just wanted to see them happy after all they went through in the original! It's my favorite because it was my first, and flowed from me in an amazing way I'll never forget.

In Consequence is a fun look at another twist in the story, but it can never quite be the same as my first. But some have loved it better. They're both terribly romantic! That's my style.

message 10: by Sophie, ~I've seen hell, and it's white...~ (new)

I think I will have to read them - I love romance and terribly romantic is definitely me! And if it is tastefully done I think it will be fine for me!

I'll let you know Anne - once I have read my review requests I currently have I will get to these I think!

message 11: by Trudy (new)

Anne wrote: "Thank you Trudy! It still sounds outside my comfort zone, but Soph if you read it and you think it's really good and well worth it, I would love to give it a try. I love N&S and wouldn't mind more ..."

If you read my stories at C19, the small R-rated sections in the honeymoon chapter (one honeymoon chapter for each story) are edited out! ;)

message 12: by Anne (last edited May 01, 2014 12:58PM) (new)

Anne | 82 comments Trudy wrote: "Anne wrote: "Thank you Trudy! It still sounds outside my comfort zone, but Soph if you read it and you think it's really good and well worth it, I would love to give it a try. I love N&S and wouldn..."

Oh really? That's great, thank you for letting me know! :)

@Soph - Thank you too, and I hope you enjoy them!!

message 13: by Rebecca, ~Look back. Look back at me...~ (last edited May 01, 2014 01:52PM) (new)

Rebecca May | 1272 comments Mod
What a lovely and helpful conversation! :)

I've wanted to read Trudy's books ever since I found out they existed, but I just haven't got around to them yet, unfortunately. They sound really beautiful, and the covers are extremely pretty as well. :) I think I'll order them along with my next purchase of Georgette Heyer novels.

I'm not usually a forum type of girl, but it sounds like I should at least have a glance over C19...

message 14: by Sophie, ~I've seen hell, and it's white...~ (new)

I might have to buy them as well!

message 15: by Rebecca, ~Look back. Look back at me...~ (new)

Maybe if we ended up getting them around the same time we could read them together? :) Strangely enough I don't think we've ever read something together outside of a group read...

message 16: by Sophie, ~I've seen hell, and it's white...~ (new)

Good idea! As I said I am swamped with review requests right now though!

message 17: by Rebecca, ~Look back. Look back at me...~ (new)

Yay! :) That's all right, it'll probably take me at least a little while to get them anyway.

message 18: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 28 comments Trudy, thank you so much for refering us to Pack Clouds Away. I was in the mood for some N&S fan fiction and I've been reading it this morning. So, so beautiful! I can easily see why it is a favourite of yours. She should publish it! I would buy it!

message 19: by Trudy (last edited May 02, 2014 06:44PM) (new)

Brenda wrote: "Trudy, thank you so much for refering us to Pack Clouds Away. I was in the mood for some N&S fan fiction and I've been reading it this morning. So, so beautiful! I can easily see why it is a favour..."

Glad you loved it. 'Pack Clouds Away' really is the perfect sequel to the book, isn't it? In the same style and tone.

Now -- would you recommend my stories as worthy romantic variations? ;)
I shied away from writing a direct sequel. I love putting a twist in the story to see how the characters would act in new situations.

message 20: by Rebecca, ~Look back. Look back at me...~ (new)

This is probably a really dumb question, but there are times when the internet and I really don't get on, so...

How do I find "Pack Clouds Away"? I don't usually read fan fiction, but everyone seems to think so well of this one that I'm positively intrigued. :)

message 21: by Trudy (new)

Google 'c19' and find the Proboards forum called C19. At that site there is a section entitled "The Further Adventures of N&S" and under that you'll find a long, long list in which "Pack Clouds Away by Lucy" can be found if you look for it alphabetically under "P."

message 22: by Rebecca, ~Look back. Look back at me...~ (new)

Thank you Trudy!

Also, would you mind if I put your two books on the group bookshelf? I know I haven't read them as yet, but I am planning to and I'm sure they'll be wonderful. Besides, I think the covers would look very pretty on the bookshelf. :)

message 23: by Trudy (new)

By all means, if it seems acceptable to do so.
I love the covers! A C19 friend (a fellow Armitage admirer!) who works as a graphic artist created them for me. They are beautiful.

message 24: by Rebecca, ~Look back. Look back at me...~ (new)

Well, they're N&S related, so I don't see why not. :)

So do I! They are very beautiful, your friend is very talented.

message 25: by Myra (new)

Myra | 10 comments Trudy-
Thanks for the update on the fan fic. I signed up for the board and could not find the story you referenced. I have read both of your books from Amazon and enjoyed them both.

message 26: by Trudy (new)

Myra wrote: "Trudy-
Thanks for the update on the fan fic. I signed up for the board and could not find the story you referenced. I have read both of your books from Amazon and enjoyed them both."

Try this link: http://c19.proboards.com/thread/23957...

Glad you enjoyed my stories.

message 27: by Robin (new)

Robin | 10 comments There are some amazing N&S continuations at c19. I have read several, including Trudy's two wonderful ones. Some are direct sequels/continuations and some put a twist in the original plot (a lot of times it seems to be a "what if" type of thing). I have been amazed at the wonderful writing on the site. :)

message 28: by Trudy (new)

There's a new N&S variation story that I can heartily recommend. "How Far the World May Bend" has a time-twist element to it, and is a wonderfully written, emotional ride through the story. Lots of Thornton angst - my favorite!
Here it is at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/How-Far-World-W...

message 29: by Rebecca, ~Look back. Look back at me...~ (new)

Thanks Trudy! I'm not sure it would be my thing, personally - I think having a twist to the story and a time travel element would be a little too much for me to take, I'm sure there are others in the group who would enjoy it. :) Thornton angst... always a good thing! LOL.

message 30: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 28 comments I'll read it! Thanks for the link. Can't find it on Goodreads anywhere though?

message 31: by Trudy (new)

Brenda wrote: "I'll read it! Thanks for the link. Can't find it on Goodreads anywhere though?"

I just added it to the Goodreads list. And I just reviewed it (as I did at Amazon).

message 32: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 28 comments Thank you, found it

message 33: by Ceri (new)

Ceri | 176 comments Thanks for the recommendation Trudy, I've added it to my wishlist :)

message 34: by Trudy (new)

I must confess that the author of this time-twist N&S story is my editor and a personal friend, but she's a wonderful writer! :)
She's also written a Guy/Marian fic that is fabulous - Grant What I Wish, available to read at Wattpad and at C19. It's a must-read if you loved Richard Armitage's Guy of Gisbourne.

message 35: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 294 comments Backing up Trudy in her praise of this author :)

message 36: by Rebecca, ~Look back. Look back at me...~ (last edited Aug 22, 2014 03:15AM) (new)

Trudy wrote: "I must confess that the author of this time-twist N&S story is my editor and a personal friend, but she's a wonderful writer! :)
She's also written a Guy/Marian fic that is fabulous - Grant What I ..."

Ah, I've still got that saved to my favourites, but I still haven't had time to read it! -_- Really must do that, especially since I finished watching the Robin Hood series - is it the seventh time now, pretty much consecutively? - last night.

message 37: by Clorinda (new)

Clorinda Cardillo | 44 comments Trudy, I just finished both A Heart for Milton and In Consequence and I LOVED them ... I just can't seem to get enough of John and Margaret.

I also read Grant Me What I Wish by Nancy Klein .... it was the first variation story I ever read and I really loved it .... this is the way Robin Hood should have been written ... with a happy ending for Guy.

Now I'm hooked on these alternative stories and am looking for more .... especially if they are centered around the characters portrayed by Richard Armitage.

I look forward to more of your stories and any recommendations you, or anyone else here, may have for me :-)

Clo

message 38: by Rebecca, ~Look back. Look back at me...~ (last edited Aug 22, 2014 03:18AM) (new)

@ Clo:

I read both of those over my mid-year break, about five weeks ago, and I thought they were absolutely amazing too. :) Perhaps just a teensy bit too much smouldering in 'In Consequence', but otherwise they were utterly perfect. <3

Ah, I wish my life wasn't so busy! I'm going to have to promise myself to read 'Grant What I Wish' sometime over the next week, seeing as everyone speaks so highly of it. *determined face*

If I find any Richard Armitage-based story variations, I will let you know! But I probably won't be much help - I tend to be on the receiving end of the recommendations most of the time, because variations aren't generally my first port of call, for several reasons.

message 39: by Clorinda (new)

Clorinda Cardillo | 44 comments @ Becca, thanks so much for your reply .... trust me, you'll love GMWIW :-)

Thanks ... I only just got into variation stories ... didn't think I would enjoy them but now I realize if it's well written it can be fun :-)

message 40: by Trudy (new)

Thanks, Clorinda! I'm so glad you enjoyed my stories. I've recommended a few other stories on this thread. There are other good N&S stories at C19.proboards.com
"True North" by Damaris is good (at C19)

message 41: by Clorinda (new)

Clorinda Cardillo | 44 comments Hi Trudy :-) yes, I loved them. I saw your post last night about the C19 proboards. I tried to register and had the most awful time ... it just wouldn't take my registration so I gave up :-(

message 42: by Rebecca, ~Look back. Look back at me...~ (new)

Clorinda wrote: "@ Becca, thanks so much for your reply .... trust me, you'll love GMWIW :-)

Thanks ... I only just got into variation stories ... didn't think I would enjoy them but now I realize if it's well wri..."

Yeah, I'm starting to realise the same thing. :) I'm still generally uneasy with variations on an established story, but can try and ignore my uneasiness if it's a variation I'm interested in and it's brilliantly written.

message 43: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 28 comments I am currently reading How Far the World May Bend by Nancy Klein and thoroughly enjoying it! Does anyone know what her username is on c19 so I can read some of her other stories if there are any? Is it Kleindog?

message 44: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 28 comments Oh, I found her, she is Kleindog :)

message 45: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 294 comments You can also find her on wattpad....that's where I found her :)

message 46: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 28 comments Ooohhh... I just googled wattpad ... how exciting - any recommendations of stories I should read? Which are the good ones?

message 47: by Samanta (last edited Sep 08, 2014 03:49AM) (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 294 comments Uf...there are so many there but you should definitely read Grant what I wish from Ms. Klein . http://www.wattpad.com/story/24977-gr...
Eternal flame from flights of fantasy - http://www.wattpad.com/story/10665388... Promised soul from jacksan68 - http://www.wattpad.com/story/11676687... and everything from littleLo(I love that girl!) - http://www.wattpad.com/user/littleLo (her profile page)

message 48: by Samanta (last edited Sep 08, 2014 03:56AM) (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 294 comments There were also two books that have been published since I read them...one is The Robber Knight and it's still fully on wattpad - http://www.wattpad.com/story/4840559-... (I wrote a review for it on GR ans the sequel is being written and published on wattpad as we speak) and To love a wild Irishman (an extremely funny book) but the author left only first5 chapters after the publication. :/

message 49: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 28 comments Thanks! I will check them all out! :)

message 50: by Trudy (new)

There's a new blog called The Armitage Authors Network that will be interviewing Armitage-inspired authors and reviewing books/stories (many based upon RA characters). I've just reviewed a N&S variation story at the site today: https://armitageauthors.wordpress.com...

« previous 1 3