Reader's Paradise discussion

All the Light We Cannot See
This topic is about All the Light We Cannot See
Book Of The Month! > All the Light We Cannot See - March 2016

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jarvis (new) - added it

Jarvis Marie-Laure lives with her father in Paris near the Museum of Natural History, where he works as the master of its thousands of locks. When she is six, Marie-Laure goes blind and her father builds a perfect miniature of their neighborhood so she can memorize it by touch and navigate her way home. When she is twelve, the Nazis occupy Paris and father and daughter flee to the walled citadel of Saint-Malo, where Marie-Laure’s reclusive great-uncle lives in a tall house by the sea. With them they carry what might be the museum’s most valuable and dangerous jewel.

In a mining town in Germany, the orphan Werner grows up with his younger sister, enchanted by a crude radio they find. Werner becomes an expert at building and fixing these crucial new instruments, a talent that wins him a place at a brutal academy for Hitler Youth, then a special assignment to track the resistance. More and more aware of the human cost of his intelligence, Werner travels through the heart of the war and, finally, into Saint-Malo, where his story and Marie-Laure’s converge.

message 2: by Manasa (new)

Manasa (manasags298) oh no :(

message 3: by Annette, The Manager (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annette mathews (annettesara) | 1178 comments Mod
Manasa wrote: "oh no :("

what is it ?

message 4: by Manasa (new)

Manasa (manasags298) Historical fiction again ~_~

message 5: by Jarvis (new) - added it

Jarvis I will read it, I think :)

message 6: by Annette, The Manager (new) - rated it 5 stars

Manasa wrote: "Historical fiction again ~_~"

Manu , are you going to read !?

Next time , we will say the members to nominate from a particular Genre , Okay !?

message 7: by Annette, The Manager (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gehna wrote: "I will read it, I think :)"

Do read , Ginny since i wont be able to read it

message 8: by Jarvis (new) - added it

Jarvis Don't spam here.

message 9: by Manasa (new)

Manasa (manasags298) I'm not reading this time!
I have finals !

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Gehna wrote: "Don't spam here."

Her Highness Ms. Gehna orders you to not spam here.

*Royal seal*

Karolina Kat (lindetiel) | 144 comments I've already read that one as well, but if anyone feels like discussing I will be more than happy to participate. The Nightingale discussions are very interesting so far.

message 12: by Annette, The Manager (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh karol, how come you have read all the books ?!

Karolina Kat (lindetiel) | 144 comments Annette wrote: "Oh karol, how come you have read all the books ?!"

I'm a compulsive reader, and not one bit sorry. The books I want to read never get picked in the monthly votes too ^^

message 14: by Annette, The Manager (new) - rated it 5 stars

You don't nominate in RP :(

Karolina Kat (lindetiel) | 144 comments Annette wrote: "You don't nominate in RP :("

I sometimes do, and I always vote :) let's not spam the topic more :) I'm still open for discussions on All the Light We Cannot See

message 16: by Annette, The Manager (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karolina wrote: "Annette wrote: "You don't nominate in RP :("

I sometimes do, and I always vote :) let's not spam the topic more :) I'm still open for discussions on All the Light We Cannot See"

Yeah okay :)

message 17: by Jarvis (new) - added it

Jarvis Who all are planning to read this?
And where is our esteemed discussion leader Palash who nominated this one? :)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Sorry for being late. Had too much office work these past few days.
ok so lets start reading this book. And I know i am stupid to ask this but what are my responsibilities as discussion leader.

message 19: by Jarvis (new) - added it

Jarvis You just have to keep the discussions going :)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Who all are going to read All the light this month?

message 21: by Jarvis (new) - added it

Jarvis I started it yesterday. 8% done :)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Gehna wrote: "I started it yesterday. 8% done :)"
I started it just now. Reading first chapter.

message 23: by Jarvis (new) - added it

Jarvis Which part are you reading?

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Gehna wrote: "Which part are you reading?"
I just completed chapter 12 of the book. So far nothing exciting has happened. Marie-Laure is blind now (maybe bcoz of that cursed jewel) and learning to live with it. Werner and his sister have just found their radio.
Btw that boring prologue part made me sleep early on 2 consecutive days.

message 25: by Jarvis (new) - added it

Jarvis I actually like the prologue more :P
What do you think of Marie and her father?

message 26: by Palash (last edited Mar 04, 2016 09:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Gehna wrote: "I actually like the prologue more :P
What do you think of Marie and her father?"

I cant say much about Marie yet but she sure is loved by her father and he is making her self sufficient to take care of herself through some creative activities. What I don't understand is why the Sea of Flames's curse is affecting him?

Btw which chapter are you reading?

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments and looks like other than us, no one else is reading the book. lol

message 28: by Jarvis (new) - added it

Jarvis I don't think there is a sea of flames or any such diamond. Just rumors.

I just finished a chapter about Jutta and Werner. They were discussing about socks. And lives of girls.
14% done.

message 29: by Jarvis (new) - added it

Jarvis Palash wrote: "and looks like other than us, no one else is reading the book. lol"

Yeah, it would have been better with more people :P

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Gehna wrote: "I don't think there is a sea of flames or any such diamond. Just rumors.

I just finished a chapter about Jutta and Werner. They were discussing about socks. And lives of girls.
14% done."

I think jewel is there but rumors regarding it are just superstitious gossip. Do you remember in 6th chapter she plucks out a little stone from the miniature model of her neighbourhood.

I finished chapter 38. Germans have started bombing Paris. Marie's father is taking her to his uncle's place who is supposed to be 76% crazy. lol. On the way, they make home in an abandoned
barn for the night but marie's father tells her that they are staying in a hotel. On the other hand, werner's talent has been noticed and he has been invited to attend the entrance exam for National Political Institute of Education. But before leaving for exams he did something sinister but he believes that he did it to protect Jutta.

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Gehna wrote: "Palash wrote: "and looks like other than us, no one else is reading the book. lol"

Yeah, it would have been better with more people :P"

Yeah, you are right. but i think nominating this book was a mistake considering that we had Nightingale as previous BOTM. Shame on me. :( Also, its march that means exam time for many of us.

message 32: by Annette, The Manager (new) - rated it 5 stars

Palash wrote: "Gehna wrote: "I don't think there is a sea of flames or any such diamond. Just rumors.

14%..."

Great going :)

message 33: by Annette, The Manager (new) - rated it 5 stars

Palash wrote: "Gehna wrote: "Palash wrote: "and looks like other than us, no one else is reading the book. lol"

Yeah, it would have been better with more people :P"
Yeah, you are right. but i think nominating th..."

Please don't get disheartened !! I will join you if i get the book

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments It's okay. I also skipped Nightingale previous month. Initially I was thinking to start Nightingale in second half of month but when it became clear that All the light is going to win then i skipped it bcoz both the books have similar theme.
Btw if u really want to read it then plz do. Atleast, first quarter of the book doesn't look bad.

message 35: by Annette, The Manager (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am trying to get the book . i dont want to read the ebook . since already i am reading the ebook version of the nightingale. I hate ebooks :(

Karolina Kat (lindetiel) | 144 comments Annette wrote: "I am trying to get the book . i dont want to read the ebook . since already i am reading the ebook version of the nightingale. I hate ebooks :("

Don't hate e-books! They are great if you have a proper e-book reader :)

Palash (naikon) | 227 comments Karolina wrote:
Don't hate e-books! They are great ..."

Yeah.I dont mind reading epub formatted ebooks on ibook app on my laptop. And having kindle is even better.

message 38: by Annette, The Manager (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hi guys :) I have got hold of this book !! Will be starting to read once i finish The Nightingale (The February botm) !! Please do join me in reading !! Let us discuss in this thread itself !!! Maybe in late April, i will be starting it . Hoping to see you all here :) #HappyReading