The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
This topic is about The Great Hunt
Wheel of Time > TGH: Part 7 (Chapters 43-End)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bill | 1596 comments Part 7

Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of Part 7 (Chapters 43-End).

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
I don't recall what part this stuff falls under, so some is probably from the last part.

Poor Thom/Deana. I had to laugh when Thom declared himself "out of it" earlier in the book, but the murder an innocent young girl isn't funny. Talk about cutthroat politics..

Nyneave finally shows likability. Too bad it's short lived. She's really great at the end of this book. Finally putting her stubbornness to good use she charges in and rescues Egwayne.

The Seanchan and their slave collars are one of the worst things in this series. It's the kind of thing that separates this from being a "Tolkien knockoff" like so many detractors seems to claim. This series has it's flaws, but it also has some pretty great depth, especially when you consider it was published about 5 years before Game of Thrones.

I really think Jordan showed epic fantasy could be both fun and serious at times. Now if only he was better at writing women..

So Perrin's a wolfbrother, Ran's the Dragon reborn, and now Mat's blown the horn of Valere. Ta'veran indeed.

The fight at he end of this book is super confusing. Rand fighting the dark one in the sky. I know more details than we're given here, and I still found it a bit confusing.

Lanfear shows her self to Min after the fight and instructs her to take care of him for her. Min describes her as very beautiful or something to that effect. Hmm.

No hiding who Ran is now. He's the Dragon Reborn, and I think that's why I enjoyed the next book so much. It's been awhile though, so hopefully it lives up to memory of it.

-------------------------

Not sure if you guys plan to keep going or not. I'm not sure if Scott dropped out for good, or if he'll give this book another shot later. I already have the audio for book 3 mostly ready to go (I need to get the files in a way to soothe my OCD-like demons), but I plan to do a few other books including The Spider's War and possibly The Last Mortal Bond before then.

The first will depend on when the audio is actually released, while the latter will depend on a) if I get a review copy like I did the last 2 and b) when I actually get said copy at my house. The last two took a few months for me to get, so who knows.

Either way, the tentative April 1st date may be good for me, or I might have to start it early again, assuming you guys want to keep going. I'm happy to do it as a buddy read if Scott does drop out. I still can't guarantee I'll do all 13 books, but I'm definitely going to do the next one.

message 3: by Sumant (last edited Mar 30, 2016 11:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sumant | 522 comments I really liked Ingatar finally going out all guns blazing, also we come to know he is dark friend who admitted a man in Shienar. That man was aiming for Rand or Amrylin is still a mystery but he tells Rand that he did it for the good of Shienar so that he may be able to get the horn, and finally free Shienar from blight by calling the heroes and attacking Shayol Gul.

So Selene = Lanfear as predicted.

I also liked Arthur Hawking in some glimpses which were given to us in the book.

Also finally now the Cat is out of the bag and Rand is the Dragon reborn.

Regarding the re-read I hope you guys do all the book in the series, because this group is a sort of muse for me to finish this series.

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
We're are least doing book 3