Addicted to YA discussion

Outsiders (Outsiders #1)
This topic is about Outsiders
Any Questions? > How can a reader make a book more popular on Goodreads?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 328 comments The most important thing you can do for any book you love is write a review. Write it on Amazon. Write it here. Write it at every site you visit. Join book groups like this one and discuss it (like you're doing here). Nominate it for any reader's choice awards you know about. Mention it on Facebook and Twitter (if you use those things). The more you spread the word, the more other people will read it, possibly become fans and do the same thing.

We writers love fans like you, who are dedicated to helping our books. Although even then, there's no magic bullet that makes a book a big hit. If it happens it happens, but talking about it a lot will definitely help.

message 2: by Cookie (new)

Cookie O'Gorman (cookieogorman) | 9 comments Hi Kit, I think this so wonderful that you love a book and want to get the word out. Not sure how much I can help, but there is a campaign called We Need Diverse Books with the hashtag #WeNeedDiverseBooks on twitter. I thinks it's a pretty big deal, may be worth checking out. Good luck!

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 129 comments You can visit the author's website and see if they have a street team, which will guide you in how they would prefer their work be promoted. For my street team for Hell School: Fresh Meat Hell School Fresh Meat by Heidi Angell I provide quotes with images my team can share on social media, links to events that are happening that they can share, fun competitions (like "Where are you reading" asking them to take a picture of themselves with my book in a location where they are reading it and post that to social media with the # related to the event. I am also planning a "Create your own" where they can create a quote and image, or a book trailer, or a book review) and a list of ways they can offer additional support.

Of course, the number 1 is write a review and 2 is recommend it to friends. As a fan on Goodreads, you can recommend books to your friends when you post a review. You can also recommend it for the buddy read programs in the communities you participate in.

If you are a part of an IRL book club, you can recommend it there as well. For YA, you can recommend it to your English teacher as extra reading credit, request that the school and local libraries order a copy.

If the indie author has a paperback, you can get your friends to order it from a local chain store like Barnes and Noble. When someone requests the book, often the store will order additional copies to put on their shelves.

Most indie authors love interacting with fans, so even if the author doesn't already have a street team, if you reach out to them and ask, they probably will be happy to offer suggestions.

message 4: by BethLee (new) - added it

BethLee | 95 comments There is a thing called listopia here on goodreads, and adding books to it will make them more popular. Either look for a list about diverse characters, or make one on your own.

message 5: by G.H. (new)

G.H. Eckel (gheckel) | 12 comments Great info, folks!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

To me, making a book popular on Goodreads consists of writing a review and rating it but, not being biased. be clean, simple, and down to the point on what the book is about and try not to fangirl because I know I myself as a reader who also looks at reviews on a book before purchasing, I HATE it when people's review is nothing but fangirling! so the review for sure is probably the biggest thing that will help. In my opinion, another factor that can help is to nominate the book for BOTM and read alongs to try and get other people to read it.