What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Jennifer
This topic is about Jennifer
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. A girl dealing with dad/mom alcoholism; she's embarrassed by not having nice clothes [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Allen | 2 comments I read a book in Junior High (circa 1984-85) about a girl dealing with the isolation of having alcoholic parent(s). I remember very little about the specifics but at the time I was going through the same thing. The book was fiction and about a girl (no siblings). Can't remember if it was just her dad or both parents who were raising her. She was embarrassed at not having nice clothes etc. Probably was published in the 70's but that's just a guess. Sorry so vague! This book really shaped me to overcome my situation.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
The Moonlight Man?
A sensitive portrayal of a 15-year-old girl's relationship with her alcoholic father. The Moonlight Man, Catherine's father, is a romantic whose life is ruled by his emotions, an author of travel books who refuses to write about his favorite country. Catherine is on vacation from her Montreal boarding school. Her mother is on a honeymoon in England with her new husband. Catherine's parents divorced when she was very young; she has never spent more than a few days at a time with her father, whom she idolizes. The time they spend in Nova Scotia teaches Catherine about his weaknesses, especially his drinking.

Friends?
Friends are all eleven-year-old Nell has left when her mother walks out on the family and her father simply steps up his oblivious beer-drinking and TV-watching. Set in the mid to late 60s.

message 4: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Allen | 2 comments The book I read sounds a lot like Jennifer.

Michele | 2359 comments Jennifer wrote: "The book I read sounds a lot like Jennifer."

I still have my copy bought decades ago, because it made such an impact on me when I read it. It's very well-written: the girl is ashamed/afraid to bring anyone home, have a party or anything because she never knows what condition her mother will be in. The time frame of the book is when her mother is in AA, but Jennifer of course is afraid that the change is not real or lasting, so there is hesitation & guilt on all sides. Really a well-done YA novel about dealing with an alcoholic parent, but ultimately hopeful.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Jennifer, should we mark this as solved?

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Jennifer did shelve "Jennifer," if we don't hear back from Jennifer in the next few weeks we can call this solved.