What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

O the Red Rose Tree
This topic is about O the Red Rose Tree
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. girl in late 1800's tries to find different red fabrics for quilt [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 32 comments This was one of my favorite authors as a kid and now I can't even remember her name or the book name! This particular book involved a girl befriending an older woman who was trying to make a quilt that required something like 9 different colors of red. It took place in the last 1800's I think, and at least part of it was in San Francisco where she went to visit (she didn't live there). One piece of fabric she found was a "flannel" she used on her chest when she was sick. There was a scene where there was a flood and people had to get into boats from their second story windows. It was a young adult chapter book and I must have read it in the late 70's, possibly early 80's although it could have been published earlier. Any ideas?

Michelle Mulford | 112 comments O the Red Rose Tree by Patricia Beatty?

message 3: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments The Josefina Story Quilt (I Can Read Book 3) by Eleanor Coerr The Josefina Story Quilt by Eleanor Coerr, 1986.

Summary: While traveling west with her family in 1850, a young girl makes a patchwork quilt chronicling the experiences of the journey and reserves a special patch for her pet hen Josefina.

The Quilt Story The Quilt Story by Tony Johnstong,1985.

Summary: A pioneer mother lovingly stitches a beautiful quilt which warms and comforts her daughter Abigail; many years later another mother mends and patches it for her little girl.

MB (What she read) | 136 comments I second "O The Red Rose Tree" by Patricia Beatty

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 32 comments Thanks everyone! I think it's the Beatty book. I'm going to get it from the library to be sure but the name is familiar. April, the other two books sound good, too. I'll take a look at them!

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Kelly, Oh good. Please come back and let us know for sure. Thanks!

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 32 comments Oh, sorry, I missed this somehow. Yes, that was the one! Thanks so much!