Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Book Discussion - Non BotM > scifi recommendations - realistic science

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krys (new)

Krys I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations in the scifi genre which has realistic science. I'd like to try my hand at some space centered stuff, but I'd also be interested in anything with an ecology or biology theme too.

Going through a 4 year science program has left me very critical, so i want something that doesn't seem like bs when I'm reading it (though, my field is biology not physics, all i know there are the bio related aspects, or anything from the show cosmos... so i might not catch any wrong facts there so long as it sounds legit).

I'm usually a fantasy girl, buy looking to find some scifi to branch out.

message 2: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
I'd probably recommend Arthur C. Clarke above all others for realistic space SF. He invented a lot of the principles still used today for things like geostationary orbits and satellite communication, and he tended to use a lot of real science in his writings. He's done a few far future things but his real gems are things set in the not too distant future like The Fountains of Paradise or Imperial Earth, or to go a little further in time Rendezvous with Rama.

You should maybe also check out some Robert A. Heinlein (who set a lot of stuff on the moon) or Frederik Pohl.

On an ecological theme, i'd maybe consider Grass to fit the bill. It has quite a fantasy edge to it as well so you'll probably enjoy that, I loved it!

message 3: by Soila (new)

Soila | 135 comments You might find Blindsight by Peter Watts interesting. Apparently the science in it is well done, but it's also a tough book to read because of it and for me it was too much. :) Watts is also a marine biologist.

message 4: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
Soila wrote: "You might find Blindsight by Peter Watts interesting. Apparently the science in it is well done, but it's also a tough book to read because of it and for me it was too much. :) Watts i..."

I recently read an excellent short story collection by Peter Watts and i was wanting to read Blindsight because of it.

message 5: by Krys (new)

Krys ooh, will definitely add those to my list.