What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Graphic Novel about Boy Scout? [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (beccaelf) | 66 comments About six months ago; I saw a blurb in a magazine (I think it was Entertainment Weekly) about a graphic novel.
The blurb talked about the book being about a Boy Scout with : Special talents/powers? A hidden life? A dark side? A special imaginary friend? Something like that…It showed one of the illiustrations ; which was a black and white panel of a young boy reciting the Cub Scout Promise in his room (in uniform). I remember being intrigued by it and wanting to read it; but now I can’t find the title.
Unfortunately; I don’t remember if it was a review (meaning it’d be a new publication) or a “best of” list (meaning it could be older). I tried going through all the old EW’s I still had around the house; and searching their reviews on their site; but nothing . Does anyone have any ideas?

message 2: by Lou (new)

Lou Rocama | 436 comments Troop 142 by Mike Dawson is all I can find

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (beccaelf) | 66 comments Maybe?? The artwork certainly looks right. Thank you.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Apr 28, 2014 08:21PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 39249 comments Mod
Amazon doesn't have a look inside feature for it but there are 6 reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Troop-142-Mike-...

(in addition to the 20 on GR)

message 5: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments This website
http://2dcloud.com/explodingwrists/sh...
has some early and later illustrations from Troop 142. They might help you decide if this is the book you are looking for.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39249 comments Mod
Paul Joins the Scouts? He joins the Cub Scouts, which would fit your description of the image. Google has tons of images from inside the book.

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (beccaelf) | 66 comments Very possible!! The artwork looks like what I remember, and the publication date lines up about right.. I'll have to find it in a bookstore (or just buy it on Amazon) to confirm, but this may be it!! Thanks!

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (beccaelf) | 66 comments So I bought the book; and I am pretty sure it's it.
Publish date was May 2013; and I am pretty sure I saw it in a "Best of the Year" issue of Entertainment Weekly (which comes out in late December 2013; which would line up with me remembering it around April 2014 when I first posted)

The art isn't quite what I remember (my memory thinks the boy was a little younger than the Paul illustration); but we're talking about seeing a single panel in a magazine review from two years ago.