Bibliophiles discussion

Topics for discussion > Which books do you prefer the most to read? First or third person?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Gina's (ginasgoodreads) | 354 comments Mod
Add your opinion on both writing styles.

Let us know what book style you tend to read.

And if it is easy or difficult changing the style while reading books.

message 2: by Tayla (new)

Tayla Potayta (trobes7x) First, I feel like it's more intimate that wat

message 3: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Tayla wrote: "First, I feel like it's more intimate that wat"

Okay, valid answer, thank you for sharing :)

message 4: by Lana (new)

Lana (intentional-or-not) I actually prefer 1st person rather than 3rd, but I tend to read a lot more of 3rd person tbh :)

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina Gizzi | 123 comments I prefer first because you get to hear what the person is thinking and how they feel about people.

message 6: by Gina's, Reading Sprint Fan (new)

Thank you girls for sharing your thoughts :)

message 7: by Davida (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 13 comments There are advantages and drawbacks to both. First person is more intimate but can also be myopic. Third person can be sweeping and inclusive, but sometimes feels less personal.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Murphy | 66 comments Davida wrote: "There are advantages and drawbacks to both. First person is more intimate but can also be myopic. Third person can be sweeping and inclusive, but sometimes feels less personal."

I completely agree.

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric Layton (vtel57) First person is the simplest form of narrative. It's OK, if done well. However, I prefer 3rd person narrative. :)

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol Bosselman | 4 comments I really dislike reading in 1st person, just feels awkward.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Lada (is_sarah_reason) | 7 comments I prefer first person because I enjoy steam-of-conscious narrative as well as observation. I especially love first-person in the bildungsroman genre.

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie Drucker (softkittykeeper) | 25 comments I have no preference, but I don't like it when it changes in the book. It's hard to keep track of the flow if they change during the book.

message 13: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariahkeepscool) | 32 comments I enjoy 1st but it does feel weird...I feel like a soul like the Wanderer in The Host but 3rd sometimes works like Cassamdra Clares books and Daughter of Smoke & Bone. (haha they're pi da the same style)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I prefer 1st person, it makes me able to relate to the person more and I like to know the characters thoughts and feelings