What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Hedgehogs in the Closet
This topic is about Hedgehogs in the Closet
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's chapter book about a family that moves from America to the uk. End up finding and raising hedgehogs in their garden. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Jenkins koepp | 1 comments Told from the point of view of the middle son, they join rugby league, struggle to fit in, etc. I read it around 90-93ish. It's been making me crazy!

message 2: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2112 comments Hedgehogs in the closet
Author: Joan Davenport Carris; Carol Newsom
Publisher: New York : Lippincott, ©1988.
Edition/Format:  Book : Fiction : Juvenile audience : English : 1st edView all editions and formats
Database: WorldCat
Summary:
Unhappy with his family's move to England, eleven-year-old Nick slowly begins to thrive in the very British setting of his new home and school.

Found with keywords hedgehog move.
And year range. On worldcat.org

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37834 comments Mod
Amy, was bookel's suggestion your book?

Goodreads link:

Hedgehogs in the Closet

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37834 comments Mod
No response from Amy but I agree with bookel's suggestion. Kirkus mentions the rugby team.

"The two older Howard boys learned responsibility in earlier books; not it's 11-year-old Nick's turn, as the family leaves its small Ohio town to live in England. Nick is not happy about leaving his comfortable life, but his father persuades him to give it a try for a few months. That's enough time to acquire friends, join Scouts, become a valued player on the local rugby team, and celebrate holidays familiar (Thanksgiving) and unfamiliar (Guy Fawkes' Day). His participation in a wildly successful Christmas pageant finally converts him from reluctant to enthusiastic temporary resident. Meanwhile, the Howards are the most traditional of families: father gets up and goes to (unspecified) work each morning; mother stays behind to cook, worry (after learning to play rugby, Nick tells his father, ""She should never see a game, Dad. I mean never""), and visit museums. The four brothers are bright, compassionate, supportive, and well-socialized; Nick expertly assumes his inevitable role as unofficial ambassador and becomes even better at it than his father. A wholesome, low-key, good-humored story."

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...