Plague Books discussion

new to the group

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Audsley (emmaaudsley) Hi, I'm Em & I'm new to the group! I love all kinds of apocolyptic & post-apocolyptic fiction. I also write fiction (nothing published yet- not that brave!) working on a piece at the moment. Tell me all about yourselves!

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 15 comments I love all these sorts of books too. It amazing how something microscopic can do so much damage

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I think these sorts of books are amazing. I can't seem to find enough of them, though. I think this group will be a great help in avoiding that problem!

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma Audsley (emmaaudsley) I have quite a few on my profile- have a nosey!

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina Dudley (christina_dudley) More armchair survivors! Glad to know you're out there. Just finished THE GHOST MAP by Steven Johnson about cholera in London--wonderful. Also liked THE BLUE DEATH by Robert D. Morris (more cholera) and THE BARBARY PLAGUE by Marilyn Chase (Black Death in SF Chinatown). Going now to check out the group's bookshelf.

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (allcreatures) | 3 comments New to the group. I enjoy reading many different genres. I have have a book club I used to belong to, to thank for widening my horizons but I truely enjoy
end of world/medical mystery types. This group will help me locate title I will love to read.

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 15 comments I liked the Barbary Plague. It was a period I had never known anything about.

message 8: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (allcreatures) | 3 comments I just finished "The Last Gasp" by Trevor Hoyle. End of the world via global warming and pollution aided by a good dose of corporate greed, public apathy and crazy war mongerers. Strange, gory in spots and apropro with the oil spill here in Louisiana.

message 9: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Hello, hello- is anybody there?? I feel like I'm all alone in this Plague Books world. No survivors?

I like two kinds of "plague" fiction books. First, the apocolyptic & post apoc type with civilization trying to cope w/ the impending disaster or recover from the effects. The other kind is the contemporary medical fiction where there is the rush to find the cure or discover the cause of some new disease. I will also read some non-fiction like Hot Zone or books on historical plagues but I do tend to prefer fiction.

Some favorites not listed on this group's bookshelf: Monster Island and Patient Zero are both zombie apocolypse type stories with the zombies caused by viruses.

A parallel book to Year of Wonders is the young adult novel A Parcel of Patterns covering the same plague event (town of Elam). I actually like the YA book better.

Another series oriented toward the youth market but one which I loved starts with The Kindling about a plague that wipes out all adults.

Another "fun" book is about a plague from the past released through an archaeological find: Year Zero.

message 10: by Christina (new)

Christina Dudley (christina_dudley) Hi, Sandra. Your cat is super cute.

I fall on the plague non-fic end, but if you like fiction and don't mind classics, there's Boccacio's DECAMERON and Defoe's JOURNAL OF THE PLAGUE YEAR.

message 11: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Hanna | 1 comments Hi all. I'm pretty new to Goodreads and found this group. I like pandemic fiction that focuses on the characters coping with the changed world. I've added my own book to the bookshelf. Hope that's okay!

message 12: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) I'm so glad this group is showing signs of life again. I also belong to a dystopian fiction group and a post-apoc group but as I read widely I only manage to fit in a few titles in these topics a year even though they are among my favorites.

Some more more plague titles I might mention that are not yet on the booklist here:
Patient Zero- features zombies almost believably created via a bio-weapon plague
The Judas Strain another action/adventure about combating a devastating disease that is unleashed from the depths of the Indian Ocean
and Plague - a YA that I read long ago and only remember that I enjoyed a lot, about teens surviving after a plague wipes out London.

message 13: by Maria (new)

Maria | 10 comments Hi I'm Maria. I've been fascinated by the plague - particularly the Black Death - for years so imagine my joy on finding that the university I'm studying at by Distance Learning had a history paper called 'The Black Death and other plagues'. I've been doing this paper over summer school (here in NZ it's summer now) and it's soooo interesting. I've read and enjoyed some scholarly type works on the Black Death for this paper but I also love fiction on this topic. Looking forward to your recommendations, reviews, etc.

message 14: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Maria wrote: "Hi I'm Maria. I've been fascinated by the plague - particularly the Black Death - for years so imagine my joy on finding that the university I'm studying at by Distance Learning had a history paper..."

Hi, Maria- afraid there's not much activity in this group. I joined almost a year ago and there not much happenin'.

What part of NZ are you in? I had a penpal from Wellington area MANY years ago. We corresponded for 10 years or so in the 60s then lost touch.

message 15: by David (new)

David Batten-Hill (davhill) | 1 comments Hello All,

I should like plague books - I've written one!

Please see the web site linked below to find out all about 'This Son of York', the tale of The Black Death's return to 21st Century York.

It's at www.plague-thriller.co.uk

message 16: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (kingem) | 1 comments Hi David!I'd love to check out your website, but the link doesn't work.

David wrote: "Hello All,

I should like plague books - I've written one!

Please see the web site linked below to find out all about 'This Son of York', the tale of The Black Death's return to 21st Century York..."

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 16 comments Mod
Looks like it's this: This Son Of York.

You can claim authorship of the book on GR if you would be interested in that, David. (At "is this you?" on the author page.)

message 18: by Kat (new)

Kat Warren | 5 comments I am a newbie but I'm posting here now because I can't figure out how to add books to the group's Book Shelf without starting a discussion which I don't want to do. So herewith the titles to add to that Book Shelf; I've tried not to duplicate what's there already but may have done so unwittingly (which is how I do most things).

A Prayer for the Dying by Stewart O'Nan (it's on my Life List)

Ebola by Dr. William Close (Glenn's father)

The Cobra Event: A Novel by William Preston

The Hot Zone by William Preston

Mosquito: A Natural History of Our Most Persistent and Deadly Foe

The Origin of AIDS by Jacques Pepin

At Risk: A Novel by Alice Hoffman

message 19: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (allcreatures) | 3 comments Hi. I hardly ever post either but I'm glad you did and listed your books, I want to read some of them
Laurie

Kat wrote: "I am a newbie but I'm posting here now because I can't figure out how to add books to the group's Book Shelf without starting a discussion which I don't want to do. So herewith the titles to add t..."